Mythos of online tells...

danny021

danny021

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with online play.. look for betting patterns.. i mean you cant see them.. so hard to pick up tells... but from the way they bet and play.. you can definetly pick up the players tendencies.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to dissagree with this one ND, there are many reasons a player could be multi-tabling, I know ppl who do it to clear a bonus, rack up FPP's or other point incentives and a lot of ppl who do it because they play poker for a living though not deinatively as a "pro", more to supplement their income. As for the "time" comments, how do you read a player who regardless of check, raise, reraise or push all in, does it at exactly the same time, eg. as soon as the 15 secs left to act promp appears in the chat box, or on Carbon, when the clock reaches 1/4 past ect. You can be sure of one thing, their playing one game and concentrating. IMO

Sorry for the resurrection but haven't logged in for awhile...

I really need to point something out. I'm not saying everyone who multi-tables sucks out loud. I'm saying that just because someone is multi-tabling, it doesn't automatically make them a shark. Key word is 'automatically'. I've watched people fail at it, so that particular pendulum swings both ways...

I figured people would understand that I mean to watch and proceed with caution. I notice that I get in trouble when I give someone too much credit or not enough credit for their skills. Just be cautious. Not scared, but careful.

P

paigelil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to say, that's one thing I really dislike about pokerstars tournaments. I feel like the tables get moved around so much that I never have a really good idea about each player's style before I get bumped to another table. Maybe I need to just get faster at reading people, but it feels like all I can do is play my own strategy and hope for the best.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the opposite problem. I feel like I don't get moved often enough. If I'm lucky I get moved once. It makes me paranoid because I start to worry about the possibility of people picking up on my patterns. Other players keep getting moved to and from my table but I just end up stuck there.

KidFlopadelic

KidFlopadelic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think some ppl like to believe they have a talent for picking up "tells" online, but I think its bunk...there are a million possibilities and/or reasons for any one player acting a certain way or acting at a certain speed while sitting in his home playing poker...we have no idea what that person is doing WHILE he is supposedly pondering a hand...if he/she is even AWAKE for that matter.

If I've played a certain player alot in the past and I've been sitting with him in a trny for 2 hours, I will probably have a decent fix on his patterns, but if he is a decent player...all he has to do is be aware and be crafty to throw me off.

I value creativity and deception over "tells" anyday...

hey, donuts!! >>>>>>>>>>>

mirmidwnas

mirmidwnas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, to be sure there are tells online, but they can vary for so many reasons. Why not discuss some of the supposed tells that can trip us up if we aren't careful. Let's start with the classic: slow means strong/fast means weak. Not at microstakes at Ultimatebet it doesn't ;).

Any more?

The only tells that i discovered based on my experience of course,is if you find a donk that goes all in in a row,the third time usually doesn't have anything.The other one is that after you beat one player in an all in battle and subsequently he goes all in 3-4/5 times he doesn't have anything.He is probably only being led by his frustration...

P

paigelil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I was completely fooled by that tell! There was this one player who had gone all in pre-flop for the previous 3 hands. I then got a King Queen suited, and figured he/she didn't have anything so I called, in the end I lost the hand to pocket aces.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best advice I could give is to PAY ATTENTION to the table. Watch the situations in which players bet, call, fold. thats the only way to gain an advantage in online play.

Poker Tells