MTT are just not worth the time

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low buy-in MTT's suck for reward / time. I just spent 5.5 hours in a $2.20 MTT only to finish in 28th place for a whopping $8.04 prize. :confused:

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think in ratios man it'll make it better. I bought into the .10 w/ rebuys and addons on FT finished 64th without any rebuys or addons and won $4.23 THATS HUGE IF YOU THINK IN RATIOS!

damon789

damon789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT's waste of time?

Hey buddy, they are def donkfests for sure. Try playin 4 at a time then you might get a little more back from the time you invest.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play higher stakes?

^^this.

If your bankroll will stand it, move up to $10 Tournies. The field will be smaller (so taking up less of your time) but the rewards will be higher.

Also, bear in mind that the lion`s share of the prize money goes to those who reach the FT. There aren`t many games, apart from the big Sunday headliners, where 28th place will be a big payout

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah just wait until you win one and you won't think it's a waste of time.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah just wait until you win one and you won't think it's a waste of time.

^^^^^ I reckon KC will back that statement, remember his $11 rebuy game? I'd happily play for 7 hours for that return

E

EvilEmperor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On sunday I played 10NL 6 max and won $0.05 after 2 hrs. I got bored and entered a $11 and a $22 tourney. 7 or so hours later I won the $22 and picked up $5300. A lot more fun than grinding.

W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the feeling. When I first started I made the same realization and decided I would only play sit and go's (STT) until I was rolled to play the double stacked $26 tournaments. Everything cheaper than that feels like a rip if you only squeeze into the money. Now I am playing $163 MTT's on a regular basis, and they aren't such a bummer if you cash for the lowest value.

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on two sites. FT and bodog. On bodog I dont play in MTT's, I just try to grind out and win my money little by little.

On FT I play in MTT's (usually the $24+2) and have always built my bankroll and cashed out at a much higher rate than grinding.

I took fourth this weekend at the 35k Guarentee (My biggest cash ever). Like one guy said before play for the final table and not to just cash. It'll pay off in the long run.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know the feeling. When I first started I made the same realization and decided I would only play sit and go's (STT) until I was rolled to play the double stacked $26 tournaments. Everything cheaper than that feels like a rip if you only squeeze into the money. Now I am playing $163 MTT's on a regular basis, and they aren't such a bummer if you cash for the lowest value.

Just looking at your name - are you playing in the main event this year?

L

luzmaria

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT do take time,specially if you play small buy in ..thats is why I allwayse play turbo games if I play small buy ins...they dont take 5-6 hours to play and players are gone faster after blinds get higher :)

M

MichiganKuz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that its all a matter of perspective. It depends upon what you are getting out of it.

If you are playing MTT low stakes or freerolls like I am to educate yourself and gain experience, then they can be valuable. Education costs... time or money or both. For example: http://apa.wisc.edu/images/tables/BigTentuition.pdf

I think that as your game improves you owe it to yourself to stake up and get in to more challenging arenas. Then you can gain greater monetary return as well as experience. I know I'm not ready to yet, but I look forward to the days that I am.
Good Luck!

roids

roids

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs are tough, but when you take down one, it increases your stamina for the next one, also your confidence! Keep it up, you can always improve :D

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree
they need to have a tournament every 30 min or they need to have a better payout structure

- theres a reason more people play the 20% payout and 15 % payout tournies at pokerstars versus the 10 % at ft

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes a special person to consistently grind mtts without going absolutely insane, seriously, the variance and time are ridiculous, and bubbling the FT is the worse thing ever.

I think the best thing to do is keep pushing, eventually that 28th will be a 2nd or 1st and then, and only then will you believe in mtts again. But it does fade, I know I get down and tilt too, so just keep your confidence up and realize that mtts are top heavy money wise and that variance hates you....but you can beat it

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there was ever a time for a lol donkaments, this is it.

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing MTTs on pokerstars for a while now, all my cashes were in the lower end of the payouts so far... hoping to change that today. $3.30 MTT 1944 entrants, down to 962 players now and I'm sitting at 80th in chips, and this time I'm not drinking!!!! :D

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is a bit naff when u buy-in and u get a very little reward, but it's better than loosing and gettin nowt!!

One day u come 1st and it'll all pay off n u'll have a supa smile like ^_____^

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually will play 4-5 at a time and get deep in a couple. I agree that playing just 1 at a time is very time consuming and may not have a good hourly rate compared to cash games, but you have a very low risk for a possible huge reward.

B

BobTheBiller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you could always play the single table super turbos. they are typically over in 15 minutes. if you are good enough, you could play quite a few in 5 hours and cash quite a bit.:)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember why you get into any tourney, MTT or SnG.

LIMITED FIXED RISK! MAXIMUM POTENTIAL !

The alternative is ring, where one tilt can wipe you out.

L

luzmaria

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with many of you..its all about why you play them,if you play just to win then for some they take long time maybe...but if you play to inprove your game,trening ect ect then those are wery good games to do that

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100%.
The lowest mtt buy in I usually play is 10.00.
(unless its the wonderful cardschat freerolls,that I crush.:p)
I usually try to play the guarantees,and also the rebuys are a favorite of mine.
Plus I found that low buy in sng sattelites to another mtt can be really profitable.

B

BobTheBiller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember why you get into any tourney, MTT or SnG.

LIMITED FIXED RISK! MAXIMUM POTENTIAL !

The alternative is ring, where one tilt can wipe you out.

Ain't that the truth. The other night I was at the micro stakes tables and every single premium hand I got I would ultimately get pushed all-in by other reckless players and I would lose every single one of them. I must have gotten the rockets like 5 times in 30 minutes. It literally wiped me out. I logged off in total disbelief.:confused:

I think I might go back to the single table tourneys for a while.