Moving up from 200nl to 400nl ?

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Might as well, but be careful to move down quickly if you start getting owned (fps when facing better regs or whatever who aren't as weak tight and will call you down lighter...i have no doubt you have the potential to beat nl400 but moving up can be tough) or running bad. You can lose quite a bit of money at nl400 and it unbalances your total winnings if you play up stakes while running bad. Just saying this from personal experience, as when i moved up to nl400 (only like 5k hands in the end) i ran so terrible and frankly it ****ed over that month coz i had won at a good rate at nl200 but was getting raped at nl400 (although the players weren't better at all, but this is HU). Running bad + playing a little bad coz running bad can definitely lead to $1/hand losses at nl400 (tho prob not in FR) which isnt' good when your profit is from nl200.

But i think you should go for it.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FP I disagree for FR. The regs don't get that much better imo, just a lot less fish and it's the better regs. They still have leaks and if you study them you can exploit them pretty bad. If you start playing 400nl and I finally move up again then you should definitely actually get on aim more and we can discuss regs and stuff because as I said most are extremely exploitable, they still have some of the same leaks as 1/2 regs which mostly stems from the fact that they play a lot of tables and don't adjust very well.

In fact I think it's sometimes easier to exploit those guys. Look for dry boards and look to raise a ton of cbets. You want to do it to the point where you profit but they don't notice you're doing it light enough to adjust. Basically when I first moved up the very first time I noticed that a lot of the times they were using some of the exact same lines I did at 1/2 and I was paying them off just like all the fishies did to me at 1/2. Then I realized that if they're making the same moves as me I have an insight over the logic behind the moves, when they're likely to make them, and thus how to exploit/counter them. It's not easy, but since there are less regs it is a lot easier to study them and really understand how they play and I can guarantee you they're not going into that much detail on you. Sure they may note that you double barrelled a scare card once or that you backraised AK to a UTG raise, button squeeze UTG fold but I highly doubt anyone else was studying the play of other regs as much as I was and despite the small sample I think it paid off.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Zach,

Yeah, I should have been more specific about my experience: I don't play full ring at all. Also, to clarify, I wasn't saying that regs at (Party) 400 (6-max) aren't exploitable - just that most of them have their preflop game down pat. It's impossible to play unexploitably preflop (if anyone disagrees with this I'll be happy to explain why I think so), but the difference, in my experience, between the good regs at 200 and the good regs at 400 (Party 6-max) is that the latter are much quicker at noticing when you're exploiting them. They know what their "leaks" are preflop, and they'll counter quickly when they know that you know. Trying to outlevel them preflop is basically an exercise in futility.

The keyword being "preflop." Of course regs can be outplayed postflop; some of them have some glaring holes in their postflop games - don't we all? - but I don't find many of them that I can just destroy by 3-betting them light (nits) or tightening up (LAGs) like I generally can at the lower stakes.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man all this talk of moving up makes me want to do it. Too bad i am doomed to be forever a 100NL reg.

+1 lol

However I do think this will have a knock on effect and provide some healthy competition between you midstakes guys. It will want you guys to move up if you see others do well.
Im looking forward to this and think this could be the point where CC develops a few more midstakes SOLID regs.