More variance at micros? Opinions! "It's only a dollar, I don't get care"

More variance in micro games?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No!

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Maybes, I'm still stuck at micros so dunno really!

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Hell no, I've moved up to higher limit games and variance is sicko!

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you dont believe me try this....

find 2 players- one that is really good and the other one that is really bad

now pull up there sharkscopes

the one with the lower roi will have more variance

you can say that better players dont have less variance, but they do- they just play higher stakes and achieve a lower roi than they would at much lower stakes

the best players can handle variance and play to maximize their win per hr not their roi

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The worse the competition is- the lower the variance

What tends to make this not true is when people make the wrong adjustment to fish- ie things like like calling a 45 blind shove vs the fish with other players left to act.

gl at the tables,

t

Yep agree, more fish stay in to see the flop with rubbish, continue in the hand and hit runner runners etc, and take out the big hands.

At that level very little skill and a lot luckboxes:(

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
IF Im using proper bankroll management, I aint allowed to play anything over 2 dollars. I dont know as I posted before, I hear people talking about even higher buy in games have it share of awful play too. Im not sure why Ill go to the track and drop $100 or more but online I wont pay over $5 to play a MTT, and $5 is my top shelf limit, maybe its just the online enviroment right now since being newer to game, all I have gotten to see is the destruction of it. WHATS EVEN WORSE THOUGH is these (its just $1 players) always end up on my left with 10x the stack I do by using the ATC magic tricks in the first 20 minutes

billyjustin

billyjustin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even in the low stakes, a good player will still crush the rest. Basically, play your game, switch depending on who you are in a hand with. Got a calling station, show him the nuts, got a LAG, 3 bet him at times. There is a style for every player, just gotta find which the competition is. And the higher the stakes, the lower the variance. You get players who play better and are not trying to throw away their BR. Lower stakes, yeah, you get "it's only a ...." crap, so, just play better and felt him

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even in the low stakes, a good player will still crush the rest. Basically, play your game, switch depending on who you are in a hand with. Got a calling station, show him the nuts, got a LAG, 3 bet him at times. There is a style for every player, just gotta find which the competition is. And the higher the stakes, the lower the variance. You get players who play better and are not trying to throw away their BR. Lower stakes, yeah, you get "it's only a ...." crap, so, just play better and felt him
Just the opposite.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only the worse the competition, I would assume that most players here would be likely risking a decent chunk of their bankrolls to play in mid-high stakes tourneys with "less variance :D". So you will miss it more which leads to tilt, which leads to more losses and generally bad things.

Put it this way, would you really expect less variance playing one $50 tournament instead of playing ten $5 tournaments?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If I flop a flush draw, the laws of probability tell me my probable completion rate over the long run. But they also tell me nothing about what will happen on this specific occasion. I may make the flush or I may miss it. In fact I may miss five flush draws in a row for a short term completion rate of 0%. Or I may make five flush draws in a row for a short term completion rate of 100%. The difference between my long term expectation and the results that I realize in the short run (in this case 0% or 100% completion), is called variance.

The swing against your bankroll is greater at higher stakes because players at higher levels will see and not call your draws, therefore draws as a weapon are not as useful.

Your variance at low stakes should be more stable if you are a good player because you will spot others nut hands and fold, the swings will be less damaging.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't think using draws as a weapon is specifically the reason for higher variance.

At lower stakes it is much easier to hand read and people will stack off much lighter, giving you a far bigger edge. At higher stakes, it is much harder to hand read as people will merge ranges, so your edge (if any) will be smaller.

The bigger your edge, the less variance you will encounter.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This I guess is for either MTT/SNG/CASH as it's all the same in terms of the players in general.

I only play micro MTT, so I can't really compare it to anything else. But your theory is correct at the BEGINNING of such a tournament. In fact, you almost pray that you don't get AA in the first few hands because AA has a hard time standing up to five other hands pre-flop all in.

But once the "it's just a dollar" folks are out (which is usually pretty quick) then things get fairly normal. When you're deep in the tourney, nobody really feels, "It's just three hours!"

Besides, the "it's just a dollar" folks usually are pretty bad at the game. Since they can't actually play their way to a win, they just roll the dice with pre-flop all in. Then if they get lucky, they can double up and maybe stay in the game longer than they normally would. But such people's horrible play (impatience, specifically) usually catches up with them, and I find that even if they double up early, they rarely if ever make it to the final table.

I do look forward to the day that my bankroll increases and I don't have to endure this at the beginning of the dollar tourneys. Of course, there's always going to be that guy who thinks, "It's just $100." :)

marvingubba

marvingubba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm more confused now after reading the posts here.
Maybe I've never considered how variance relates to MTTs.

For cash games and BRM, I thought variance increased with the potential for big wins or losses.
So variance would be higher in NL over Limit games, and also higher at larger stakes.

As far as using variance as a stat to rate a player.
I would think any correlation with a player's ROI is because better players (high ROI) will naturally have a low variance.

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better players put you to more tough decisions in marginal spots = more variance at higher limits.