minimum monthly earnings for a pro

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a winning player and hate your job, why don't you use your poker earnings to get job re-training or go back to school or something like that? that way you can get a job you do like. Poker will always be there and this could be a great second income for you.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are a winning player and hate your job, why don't you use your poker earnings to get job re-training or go back to school or something like that? that way you can get a job you do like. Poker will always be there and this could be a great second income for you.

online poker may not always be there. :p

S

steveestewart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I wouldn't consider going pro unless I could make $10,000 a month or more. Until I can get to that point, it is not worth the stress.

It looks like a glamorous lifestyle but it is A LOT of stress. Ive never been a poker pro, but wallstreet is similar. If you can't make a lot of money, its not worth the stress making $30K a year. Just use it to have fun and make extra cash!

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to really just be dedicated to poker, a lot of the pros took this dedication.. risking everything, being so broke at points that they had no place to go. (ivey, doyle, ect.) -- If you aren't dedicated enough to risk that then you probably won't ever be a pro in my opinion.

I'm 19 and don't have much to even lose at this point.. but I guess if your 28+ you have a lot more to lose..

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to really just be dedicated to poker, a lot of the pros took this dedication.. risking everything, being so broke at points that they had no place to go. (ivey, doyle, ect.) -- If you aren't dedicated enough to risk that then you probably won't ever be a pro in my opinion.

I'm 19 and don't have much to even lose at this point.. but I guess if your 28+ you have a lot more to lose..
Yep thats the logic of a 19-year-old.
I guess you get a little perspective in life when you grow a little older.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently my post went over your head.:joyman:
I shouldnt play the age card, but the fact is when you are 19 you dont really have that much life experience.
Nothing wrong with that.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I shouldnt play the age card, but the fact is when you are 19 you dont really have that much life experience.
Nothing wrong with that.

You didn't get what I was saying, I was repeating things that older people tell me..

They always say life is easier for me sense I'm young and don't have much to lose, so thats the same way with poker, younger people can easily be more dedicated than the older people sense a lot have houses, kids, morgages, shit like that.

All I was trying to say. :joyman:

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like a glamorous lifestyle but it is A LOT of stress. Ive never been a poker pro, but wallstreet is similar. If you can't make a lot of money, its not worth the stress making $30K a year. Just use it to have fun and make extra cash!
$30K a year kills a minimum wage job--I do worse and if I could make that much I'd be thrilled because that's plenty for a modest lifestyle. I worked night shift for like $7 an hour during the holidays as my last "real" job--numbingly boring, repetitive work--and I found it to be soul-crushing. And it was no less stressful than relying on poker for income, I think.

Make sure you love love love poker if you turn "pro." When you're counting on it for money, it takes the fun away, imo.

T

testreet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that even the pros have their own "bad periods" the book says that in these times you should just rest on your playing and start again when you feel you are ready...but really it would be hard to say in average, and it really depends on the type of pro that you are talking about...and what they are a pro at...Pros that play mostly limit games like horse and such probably don't make as much as a good pro in NL just because the it goes by faster, but it really depends on the pros lifestyle