Min raise

don8ions

don8ions

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know about you folks, but I am scared sh*tless of the min raise, especially in tournaments. I think people get so excited about their monster hole cards, that they forget how much 3x's the big blind is and before they run out of time they quickly click the raise button. Just a heads up for all you S&M....errr S&G tournament players.

Just last night I was on the button with A 8o down to 5 players in a single table tourney, and the guy before me hit min raise, so with the A and chip lead I called...with some hesitation, but not much. Ace comes on the flop and he bets, I call...all the way to the river, and he shows me AK suited...lol! BEWARE THE MIN RAISE!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's more like BEWARE OF THE BAD POKER PLAYERS. Good poker players know that A, K is a hand to raise big with but not slowplay. If an Ace hits, then you could probably try to trap a player but never all the way to the river. Sometimes I get lazy and hit the miniraise button when I'm playing on-line, but never with A, K.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people are just that bad that they don't know they can raise more than the min raise. I notice certain people bet the same way all the time - min bet, min raise never moving the slider over because they simply don't know. Sad but true!!!

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don8ions said:
so with the A and chip lead I called...with some hesitation, but not much. Ace comes on the flop and he bets, I call...all the way to the river, and he shows me AK suited...lol! BEWARE THE MIN RAISE!

So you had some preflop hesitation to a min raise, but once you hit that Ace on the flop, rather than finding out if you were really best, you just called him down? Reraise on the flop and find out where you are at.

don8ions

don8ions

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
smd173 said:
So you had some preflop hesitation to a min raise, but once you hit that Ace on the flop, rather than finding out if you were really best, you just called him down? Reraise on the flop and find out where you are at.

Yeah you have a great point...I've been playing way too much limit recently!

thelynx

thelynx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you always have to take in consideration what level you play at. At lower limits, players can be unpredictible

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Minraising - UGH
I could write a whole essay as to why it's a terrible play. It doesn't sweeten the pot with premium cards, it's too weak to push people off the blinds/out of pots, you are getting minimum value out of a minraise...i just plain hate it.

Though I agree with you, don - lots of online players minraise premium hands - definitely something to note down about them. I've been caught a few times trying to buy a minraised-called-called pot, and found out that the original raiser has something like KK. I just don't get it - why would you minraise in EP with KK - just to let all the A5o's and 67s get in??

Bah - enough ranting; i think you get my point. Minraising is a horrible play.