Meditation for Poker Players

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0546474, please tell me why meditation is not approved in Christianity. Specifically, show me the Bible verse. That statement in your post is on the verge of unbelievable. FYI, prayer is meditation.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm intrigued. I am now studying about it. I would like to know length of time usually spent doing this? I have been considering getting into this for a while now, just never pulled the trigger. This thread might just get me on the right track. Any one with tips, tricks, and advice I would greatly appreciate any help. I know a lot of CEO's and very successful people do this every morning.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I used to relax between breaks and that helped me , now I have quit and I am so much more tilted during games . I will bring back my relaxation breaks and try out some meditation , why not , I am sure it will help to overcome the frustration or anxiousness part of poker (when I make bad decisions , losing pots by my mistake or wrong calculations , tilting ,etc ) or generally of everyday life .

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have sex with a girl before playing poker...))) for me it's a meditation..)))
it happens that I forget to play poker...)))
:handkiss:

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a Christian and meditation in Christianity is not approved! so I do not meditate !!!

There are many different tradition and applications as it relates to what is referred to as meditation. Practice itself does not necessarily have to be connected with a spiritual belief system, but understood or applied from the context of psychology and neuroscience.

Catholics have a meditation tradition called contemplative prayer. Eastern Christian and Jewish tradition has a rich meditation history also.

Practically:
- a scary movie can increase your heart rate
- loud music or a crafty salesmen can hinder focus
- a quiet environment can improve concentration
- mental visualization can produce certain feelings
- deep breathing and relaxation techniques are scientifically proven to reduce stress

What you think about can affect your mood.

- be careful for nothing
- don't live anxious
- practice self-control
- practice moderation in all things

In a poker environment, a little calm can be helpful to make clear decisions. As when we cut the music down in the car when looking for an address in an area we are unfamiliar with.

I don't know if poker is a Christian approved activity. Yet, all things are lawful unto me but not expedient. I will not be brought under the power of anything.

I would not recommend anything your faith is uncomfortable with, but you may already at times practice what some refer to as meditation, in your own way, just not as a formal discipline from a defined tradition.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meditation for Poker : It's something that's unquestionable beneficial for me how about you ?
[FONT=Open Sans, helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

His Holiness The Dalai Lama himself has said that sleep is the best meditation.

So I aim to get enough sleep before playing poker.

Good luck !

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm intrigued. I am now studying about it. I would like to know length of time usually spent doing this? I have been considering getting into this for a while now, just never pulled the trigger. This thread might just get me on the right track. Any one with tips, tricks, and advice I would greatly appreciate any help. I know a lot of CEO's and very successful people do this every morning.

At first it will take a while to find your meditative relaxed state. 20 minutes, maybe even an hour before you "feel" something the very first time. Or you may not even get there the first couple of times?

As you practice it more and more you will be able to attain that state quicker and stay there longer - should you want to.

Definetly healthy for blood pressure, state-of-mind and overall wellbeing.

Good luck !

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At first it will take a while to find your meditative relaxed state. 20 minutes, maybe even an hour before you "feel" something the very first time. Or you may not even get there the first couple of times?

As you practice it more and more you will be able to attain that state quicker and stay there longer - should you want to.

Definetly healthy for blood pressure, state-of-mind and overall wellbeing.

Good luck !

Awesome Thanks! I've tried a few times and have so much going on up there it won't shut off... A co-worker told me just acknowledge it and let it move past and keep doing that over and over again. I appreciate your comment and will keep trying.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awesome Thanks! I've tried a few times and have so much going on up there it won't shut off... A co-worker told me just acknowledge it and let it move past and keep doing that over and over again. I appreciate your comment and will keep trying.

Yup - several ways to deal with this...and you can try them all...I don't even know them all...

One way is to just let the thoughts happen - sort of exhaust your intelligent mind out. This can take a long time...but how many times can you go over your upcoming calendar or grocery list? lol

Another way is to focus intensely on something....a sound, a light, a thought, etc. until you have excluded everything from your mind. You probably already do this with poker. You can see intense concentration in the eyes of final tabelists. I believe they have already been focused and meditating on the game for hours.

These are all tools - and probably eventually a crutch to get to the meditative state. Find something that works for you and enjoy!

Good luck again !

soliddecor

soliddecor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I meditate when I have free time before work or before the game of poker, too, I meditate, it gives me something that I was calm for a while and it's good for me!
Axaxaxa realll ? Dont meditate play poker.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why meditation?
you just need a mood to play and confidence every day in yourself and your knowledge.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why meditation?
you just need a mood to play and confidence every day in yourself and your knowledge.

Agreed.
I don't think it's necessary, It simply helps.
why stretch; why take vitamins; why have a massage; why exercise

The practice can support all the qualities you described as important.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe in the benefits of Meditation, as well as the exercises to increase focus.