The MATelford $2 freeroll project!

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Contrary to this advice, I think people should be aware that 'bonus' FTP's like those gained in happy hours do NOT count towards unlocking bonuses.

:deal:

Thats Bull***! how you know this?

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very useful information "DaFrench" gd man

At the moment I have spiralled out of control at micro stakes.

I had managed to spin my two buyin bankroll to 5 buyins, a total of $4.

Last night I had the urge to play when I was too drunk and managed to lose $3.20. I constrained myself to not using my final buyin until I could be given a fairer "trial" this evening.

I played the single buyin at Full Tilt and some idiot called me down with KQo on a completely bluff-able board. I had a pair on the turn, an ace rolls off the river so I check behind on the river. He hit broadway with that ace and took .66 from my grasp, leaving me with $0.14.

Before I even realised it, I found myself stuck at a table with no option to leave and slowly realising there was something not quite right.

I pick up 66 on BB evryone folds, SB limps and I know im gonna shove $0.12 straight in there. Suddenly im bemused. I cant go all in!!!!!!
Im actually seated at a pot limit holdem table and because I was playing tight I didnt notice.

So, there I am stuck on a pot limit holdem 6 seated cash game with $0.12..... after I checked and had to fold my 66 because of the pot limit..... slowly becoming less and less.

To be continued.......

S

santa fe slim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I freerolled something like $2 on UB, ran it up to around $125 playing mostly sng's and a few tourneys
Then went through an extended patch of bad luck (or bad play?) and lost it all.
Ah, easy come.......

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DaFrench1 said:
Contrary to this advice, I think people should be aware that 'bonus' FTP's like those gained in happy hours do NOT count towards unlocking bonuses.

Full Tilt also rakes their micro games a lot higher than other sites *cough Stars cough*.

BelgoSuisse said:
As soon as your freeroll winnings can afford the lowest buy-in at the lowest available stake, you should take a shot. bankroll management does not apply at the lowest level. It's a major loss of EV to restrict yourself to freerolls while you could be playing buy-in games.

^ this. Definitely this.

Anywho... back on the OP. My bankroll started with a $1.56 cash in a CardsChat freeroll on Full Tilt. Back then the lowest game they offered was $1.25 SnGs - you're in a much better position now that they offer $2NL.

Sorry to hear your starting roll crashed and burned, learn from the mistakes and better luck next time. It took three freeroll cashes for me to get my roll off the ground.

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have now managed after sitting for over one and a half hours to rebuild into a bankroll of $0.80 from $0.12.

I am going to attempt a further rebuild later tonight as my schedule is full of freerolls.

I shall make a post concerning the state of my finance tommorow evening.

Faithfully,
MATelford

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt also rakes their micro games a lot higher than other sites *cough Stars cough*.
Actualy when they added the .01-.02 and 0.02-0.05 games they also maked rake adjustments.
Droping the 10NL rake for example from 10% to 6,5%(opposed to PS 5%) and some other changes on how rake is taken.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actualy when they added the .01-.02 and 0.02-0.05 games they also maked rake adjustments.
Droping the 10NL rake for example from 10% to 6,5%(opposed to PS 5%) and some other changes on how rake is taken.

Good point - maybe disregard the "a lot" in my post on the subject then. It's still more though.

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i am doing a similar project not depositing any money and seeing how much i can make in 2 months off freeroll money i get. hope you see some good results yourself. gl :)

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have failed. I am drunk again and lost to KK with JJ like a loser when he re-raised me for the third time in a row on my left. The hardstyle fuelled my rage to shove and I did. After 3 weeks of moving up and down around $0.80, I can do more, microstakes are a mine field of inconsiderate assholes.

MATelford $2 Freeroll Project Final Result - DEFEAT

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well when you first joined the forum.. your ideas were considered questionable.

Maybe the Matelford project has confirmed this.

However there is a wealth of infomation here.. maybe its worth posting hands in the hand histoty and getting people to review them.

Also ask questions... there are a lot of experienced players here who are only too happy to help out.. provided you listen!!

Sorry to hear it hasn't gone well... but like you say... you will be back

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well when you first joined the forum.. your ideas were considered questionable.

Maybe the Matelford project has confirmed this.

However there is a wealth of infomation here.. maybe its worth posting hands in the hand histoty and getting people to review them.

Also ask questions... there are a lot of experienced players here who are only too happy to help out.. provided you listen!!

Sorry to hear it hasn't gone well... but like you say... you will be back

Very eloquently put Stu.

Mat, listen to what Stu has said. Eat a bit of humble pie, and use the assets of this forum. You may find it really helpful imo.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't give up, keep at it!
Remember we all hit speed bumps at the tables but with some good play you can make it.
BTW stop drinking when you decide to play, it never works, I know!
:eek:

C

CryingAmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I signed up to FT about 4 months ago- got lucky in a few private freerolls and got up to $50..

to qualify for a few big freerolls and the OFC Everyone wins- I then deposited $20

got $4.50 from OFC (plus the $5.50 buyin which I failed miserably in)

then cashed in the UK New depositors for $100! (and a few smaller freeroll cashes)

Am currently trying to qualify for the ironman 1 a day freeroll- cashed in a $1 mtt today and a $2 sng yesterday but am about $3 down from the buyins...

Still over $180 balance and never risked more than $2.20!

It is possible, but playing clever and taking advantage of special offers and entering as many private freerolls as you can find/ qualify for helps...

GL in your quest anyway- may all your flops be sweet and your rivers even sweeter!

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really do not think my strategy has failed. I have failed myself by not using my skills appropriately. Playing intoxicated is fun but very difficult. I basically needed that slap in the face to bring about my professionalism again.

Also the players do not help calling with anything and getting lucky even when I play super tight. Its like back in the play money days.

Noone gives a ****.

I need slightly more money on the line to play good poker because im not a gambler. When the board is 2s 5c 10d Qd Ks and I raise pre - flop 3 blinds out of postion, he calls, I check, he checks. I check again, he checks again. Then I bet 2/3 the pot into a substantial pot compared to his stack on the river.

What do think I have and what do think he has?
Someone take a wild guess.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started pokerstars approx 6 years ago,I got a free $10 and won my way up over $100 then withdrew $75 and redeposited to get bonus of 25%.I am still free rolling and have withdrawn and redeposited many times since taking advantage of deposit bonuses.I have withdrawn in profit $25750.00 over my deposits and still have a $400.00 bankroll on stars.I rarely play anything over $22 buy in and usually $5.50 down to $1.Im sure people will think im crazy to stay at such small stakes but I never risk my bankroll and my wife let me retire when I turned 44 (4 years ago) and play poker whenever I want.I dont feel the need to move up and enjoy grinding out a steady $4000-$5000 per year avg.I did win $600 and $750 in freerolls along the way and I take advantage of any freerolls I can.Stick with your plan and dont get greedy and you can definatly build your bankroll.

JaBone30

JaBone30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U have definately chose a long road to go, but it obviously can be done by the posts here. I tried that at first and finally thought it better to just play micro and build that way. But all the best to u friend.