Looking for advice. Planning on playing in the wsop

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can I ask?

Why did you decide the play this event? Did you have $1500 to burn, Someone bought you in, people took pieces of you to defray the costs, you are just wildly taking a shot, you have a tremendous BR, etc

Why are you jumping to this level? of course, depends on answer to first question, if you are millionaire doesn't matter. Otherwise, instead of just jumping headlong onto a tournament filled with experienced players at this level eating up the guys showing up for the first time, why not try some smaller LV tournaments with the same type of players to get a feel (ie Venetian DeepStacks etc)

The wsop MTTs are tremendous marathons with a ton of players and for the most part it really makes sense to develop a bit of experience before jumping in.

Its bad enough these are already like a lottery as it is, $1500 can be a lot of money to most.

Best of Luck

ryhailey

ryhailey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can I ask?

Why did you decide the play this event? Did you have $1500 to burn, Someone bought you in, people took pieces of you to defray the costs, you are just wildly taking a shot, you have a tremendous BR, etc

Why are you jumping to this level? of course, depends on answer to first question, if you are millionaire doesn't matter. Otherwise, instead of just jumping headlong onto a tournament filled with experienced players at this level eating up the guys showing up for the first time, why not try some smaller LV tournaments with the same type of players to get a feel (ie Venetian DeepStacks etc)

The WSOP MTTs are tremendous marathons with a ton of players and for the most part it really makes sense to develop a bit of experience before jumping in.

Its bad enough these are already like a lottery as it is, $1500 can be a lot of money to most.

Best of Luck

Well ya $1,500 is alot. But I really disagree with the lottery statement. I'm going to be playing this event because for the most part I can. I mean who knows, anything can happen. I would also like to see how I will do at an event of this caliber. Make the money or not the experience will be worth it to me.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some great advice for this type of live tourney, especially trying to minimize your tells, never showing, knowing how long this can be and being as prepared as you can be. Not really much more I can add, do your best and good luck!!

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The WSOP MTTs are tremendous marathons with a ton of players and for the most part it really makes sense to develop a bit of experience before jumping in.

Whether the $1500 is affordable is completely dependent on the individual and his or her circumstances.

As for the level of play, the jump isn't nearly as high as you seem to think. The best players will be top pros, so far better than you'd encounter in small buyin online tournaments. But in terms of skill distribution, think of a pyramid. The lower echelons of the field will be made up of hopefuls who are also well below that level.

As for the marathon comparison, I had no trouble at all playing a full day minus a few minutes and maintaining my focus the entire time. Plus I wasn't any more tired than I am at the end of a long work day; And it's not like there are no breaks. In fact, I had plenty of energy left to go out for drinks afterward. And I'm a long way from being in good shape.

Did you happen to notice that a senior won an event a few days ago? And every year, you see some going deep. That's because the physical element of poker tournaments is far less demanding than it's sometimes made out to be.

ryhailey

ryhailey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether the $1500 is affordable is completely dependent on the individual and his or her circumstances.

As for the level of play, the jump isn't nearly as high as you seem to think. The best players will be top pros, so far better than you'd encounter in small buyin online tournaments. But in terms of skill distribution, think of a pyramid. The lower echelons of the field will be made up of hopefuls who are also well below that level.

As for the marathon comparison, I had no trouble at all playing a full day minus a few minutes and maintaining my focus the entire time. Plus I wasn't any more tired than I am at the end of a long work day; And it's not like there are no breaks. In fact, I had plenty of energy left to go out for drinks afterward. And I'm a long way from being in good shape.

Did you happen to notice that a senior won an event a few days ago? And every year, you see some going deep. That's because the physical element of poker tournaments is far less demanding than it's sometimes made out to be.
Thanks for the reassuring post. It sounded like someone was trying to fill my mind with doubt.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the reassuring post. It sounded like someone was trying to fill my mind with doubt.

Go in with confidence, pay attention, and play the best you can. Trust your reads. Dont think about the buy in amount. It is a tourney, and not your first. Play as you play.

Play good, and TID!!!!

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A senior that had experience in playing big events I am sure. I did not say he shouldn't play because he might get tired. I said he should not play because he did not have any experience in anything of that nature (from what he said), and that it is a long tournament that is unusual to get a feel for if you have not played that type of elongated multi-day structure. It was just simple advice and my curiosity of the situation, nothing more. Maybe I misread his poker experience from his posts and I am off-base.

I also said if $1500 didn't mean anything to him then fine and dandy. (Whether the $1500 is affordable is completely dependent on the individual and his or her circumstances. - exactly, that's why I asked)

Just gave my opinion based on my personal experience, and I wanted to see what the thinking was behind the decision to play. I have experience playing in and cashing WSOP Events, and have many Final Tables in Live 1K+ Events and also Wins in Major Tournaments so I have an idea of what I am speaking.

If you think a $1500 Live Tournament (and WSOP at that) is just some walk in the park for an amateur with no live experience and little online experience at the higher levels, well then, that is your opinion.

If there have been a spate of inexperienced players even making the Final Table of these Events lately than I stand corrected.

Does this guy have zero chance? Of course not, but unless he didn't fill us in on a few points, I am just curious of the huge jump up. I mean, there can be many reasons why he feels compelled. Maybe it is his only chance to play for a long time. Maybe his wife said no more poker rest of your life. Maybe he is 80 years old and time is grinding on. Maybe he just wants to take a wild shot for some reason. But the vast majority of people recommend you work your way up the tournament ladder.

The bottom line is, if he plays I hope he wins of course!!! I wouldn't be happier than he come on here and post a picture of his WSOP Bracelet :marchmell

And of course I hope ryhailey did not take offense at my post on his situation, it certainly is not my intent to offend him in any way.

Last edited:
ryhailey

ryhailey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never said I don't play live, and that is just about all I play.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think a $1500 Live Tournament (and WSOP at that) is just some walk in the park for an amateur with no live experience and little online experience at the higher levels, well then, that is your opinion.
Is there some point to this reductio ad absurdum-type statement? Your opinion is as valid as mine. However, suggesting that I even intimated it's a walk in the park is not since I did not do so. Indeed, what I said would tend to suggest he should expect to be in the bottom part of the skill pyramid.

Putting words in my mouth so you can argue against them doesn't strengthen your opinion or weaken mine. So why do it?

If there have been a spate of inexperienced players even making the Final Table of these Events lately than I stand corrected.
This suggests he's going there thinking he has a good chance to cash. He already said he's going mainly for the experience. And as above, you're arguing against something I didn't say. Where did I even suggest that legions of inexperienced players are final tabling?

But the vast majority of people recommend you work your way up the tournament ladder.
And I am one of them **when it's about the levels they usually play**. This is more like taking a shot at a higher level, albeit a lot higher. When I want to take a shot, the only thing I need to do is set aside enough money, which is what the OP seems to have done.

Plus who says the money even has to come out of one's bankroll? For example, what's the problem if I use the money I normally budget for summer vacation?

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example, what's the problem if I use the money I normally budget for summer vacation?

Well, if you have a wife and kids, as I do, you REALLY need to finish ITM.

But, then again, we have a local pool.............

H

Hardcorecake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL sounds like you have a legitimate shot of making the money. Side note...super jealous over here! Love me my MTTs...don't get much for live ones around here (Montana)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if you have a wife and kids, as I do, you REALLY need to finish ITM.

But, then again, we have a local pool.............
Actually, the majority of the money I use to pay for trips, new computers etc comes from poker.

WSOP