FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Im so glad I dont have to play this game to support myself, the poker pro must a long lonely road cause even the occasional good showing I make, that poker high doesnt last longer than the next time I play. I see these guys at my local cardroom, its like the live there they play every MTT usually 3 or 4 a day, the real degens even hit the cash tables during breaks during the MTTs and the usuallly decide which is going better, so if they dont return to the MTT for a while, you know they are killing some cash tables.
:eek:

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! How realistic is it to get at least ~ 500$ a month from playing poker about 4 hours a day, 6 days/week? What stakes would I have to play? Im a student and I'm sick of shit part-time jobs. Right now I'm just learning and grinding slowly at 2NL on 888, so my dream is to be able to rely mostly on poker for my income. Right now all I have is a 15.6in laptop and I dont think that more than 6 tables will fit on my screen. I play ~550 hands per session(~2h) and after 9k hands(yes, a tiny sample) I have a winrate of 22BB/h.
You might call me a dreamer... but hey, it's a goal right?

At 2nl? Basically impossible. At 10nl+ it becomes more realistic obv.

4 hours a day * 6 days a week * 4 weeks in a month = 96 hours a month

500/96= $5.20 per hour

Possible to get at the micros certainly, but not from 2nl.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not sure if you're planning to stick with playing on 888Poker but it's probably a great place to start playing micro cash. Know you can count on a winrate much higher on that site in micros than you'll see on say a site like pokerstars (or anyother site I've ever been on).

In all honestly a far more realistic goal would be to just try to continue to work at becoming a better player all the time. Then once you've played for awhile you will have the answer to your own question here.
(Can you eat on $500/mth.? my pets cost me almost that much).

Doing the simple math based on winrate, limit & amount of time you're planning on putting in, it works out to ~$154/mth.
888Poker had put a on a limit for maximum amount of tables to be played last I played on there which was 8tables.
I played there quite awhile ago, ran up a small bankroll from a freeroll cash up to just over $300, 14-tabling 2nl, just over 20k hands.(played for ~2hrs. each night, 3-4 nights/wk. for ~1mth. In other words, a ridiculous winrate which I believe is due to there being a huge number of completely new players, and am guessing many of them are sitting there with their 'Free$8'.. which for all I know they've grabbed for the umpteenth time, thinking they'll actually be able to withdrawl one day... til' they get caught. Pretty sure my guesstimates aren't far off). By comparison, when I played 2nl on Stars I think I had a winrate of ~10bb/100. BIG Difference! On 888Poker 2nl, it wasn't unusual to win 5 buyins on a table in 10mins. some nights. Just my experience but have also heard similiar from others.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
$5.20 per hour

Possible to get at the micros certainly, but not from 2nl.
At current winrate & if you were doing that while on 8tables (the most you'll be able to play on 888Poker... unless they've changed it again?), you'd be making $3.36/hr.

bricht

bricht

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All right. Just grind, grind and grind.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I was trying to live on poker I'd be living in a dumpster... But getting real, I wish you good luck. I would think within a few months you will know if it's a realistic goal or not.