Live poker: Can you curb your tells?

M

Marc Padula

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotion is commotion.

Poker is incredibly paradoxical: It is often subtle, yet it can be extremely overwhelming. In one moment it is enjoyable and fun, in the next moment tremendously painful. Even the air whirling around the poker-table is often comprised of a bizarre mix, one-half casual relaxation, and the other-half anxiety filled tension.

Anyways, the paradoxical nature of poker is more than just an artistic observation, it actually underlines an important insight: the volatility of poker can reek havoc on emotional states, being a roller-coaster of sorts for the heart and mind. Often it is a bumpy and turbulent ride, with peaks that can reach the clouds, and valleys that, at the worst of times, seem to dip into Hades itself. Hence, controlling one's emotions can be difficult, nigh on impossible, but it is vital to maximizing potential gains, and minimizing potential losses.

Obviously, controlling emotions will prevent players from going on “tilt.” This is an emotional-state all players have experienced, and yet none revere.

Secondly, emotions are the primary catalyst for “tells.” The stronger emotions a player feels, the more “readable” their face and body language can be. Fear, excitement, happiness, boredom, these are all emotions which can be interpreted solely by glancing at someone's face. Hence, finding a balance, or synergy, between stakes comfortably wagered, and emotional stability, is of the utmost importance for any serious poker-player. If a player's heart is thumping out of their chest, in every-hand they're involved in, this is a clear indicator the current stakes are probably too high. On the other-hand, if a player finds the game inconsequential or boring, they might want to raise the stakes. There is a “sweet-spot” for every player, but to find it requires understanding the difference between being attentive and anxious, between concerned and overtly worried. Sadly, because everyone is different, there isn't a perfect formula which can direct each-player to their corresponding limits. Some people lose their minds after losing two-dollars, whilst others can lose every-penny they own and not even flinch.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I always play the same, winning or losing, taking bad or saving on the river.
I believe that if you keep from the beginning of the tournament to the final table with the same calm and reasoning, you will make it difficult for your opponents to understand you or your line of play.
Of course sometimes the shaking can happen: D, but try to play faithfully from beginning to end.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I always play the same, winning or losing, taking bad or saving on the river.
I believe that if you keep from the beginning of the tournament to the final table with the same calm and reasoning, you will make it difficult for your opponents to understand you or your line of play.
Of course sometimes the shaking can happen: D, but try to play faithfully from beginning to end.
I agree with this guy...i play the same at all times more aggressive against weak players and marginal against the good players! I switch my plays when nessary and don't try to bluff too much! In a nutshell I'll say it'll be challenging when I'm on the same table as you!

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
I often throw my opponents off by shaking like i'm afraid when i have good hands.:D
This tends to get calls a lot:icon_rabb

I can change my appearance in different ways, and i advice people to do so also.
This helps you throw them off guard and make you very difficult to read when you are strong or weak.
I try not to hold one and the same posture during a live tournament:damnmate:

Gl at the tables and hopefully this helps a little:hmmmm2:

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that emotional control is important when do you play poker online or offline. We have to be able to take strong decisions all the time (sure, without going on tilt). Whoever makes the best decisions is going to win and the effects of one hand can be destroy you. So the big question of poker is how does maintain emotional control?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can't, you better stick to on-line. Ivey is one of the best at not giving you anything tell wise or information.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions, Do you ever really know if you are controlling them. A twitch, tap of the finger, eye shifts, anything can be your emotions manifesting into a tell. I remember years ago Daniel Negraneau say after he watched some hands he played that he noticed some tells he was giving off. No one knew but he did. I guess its what emotions do to you that matters. For me I would hope I'm not an open book of tells.

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found out I was fidgeting with my cards when I had a hand dominated and was thinking about how to respond to a call or raise, fortunately unfamiliar people always took it as a sign of uncertainty, and usually paid me off. Regulars I played with eventually caught on and actually told me, thank god it's a friendly place to play.
I've completely stopped verbally raising unless necessary, as even I can hear the excitement in my voice.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Emotion is commotion.

Poker is incredibly paradoxical: It is often subtle, yet it can be extremely overwhelming. In one moment it is enjoyable and fun, in the next moment tremendously painful. Even the air whirling around the poker-table is often comprised of a bizarre mix, one-half casual relaxation, and the other-half anxiety filled tension.

Anyways, the paradoxical nature of poker is more than just an artistic observation, it actually underlines an important insight: the volatility of poker can reek havoc on emotional states, being a roller-coaster of sorts for the heart and mind. Often it is a bumpy and turbulent ride, with peaks that can reach the clouds, and valleys that, at the worst of times, seem to dip into Hades itself. Hence, controlling one's emotions can be difficult, nigh on impossible, but it is vital to maximizing potential gains, and minimizing potential losses.

Obviously, controlling emotions will prevent players from going on “tilt.” This is an emotional-state all players have experienced, and yet none revere.

Secondly, emotions are the primary catalyst for “tells.” The stronger emotions a player feels, the more “readable” their face and body language can be. Fear, excitement, happiness, boredom, these are all emotions which can be interpreted solely by glancing at someone's face. Hence, finding a balance, or synergy, between stakes comfortably wagered, and emotional stability, is of the utmost importance for any serious poker-player. If a player's heart is thumping out of their chest, in every-hand they're involved in, this is a clear indicator the current stakes are probably too high. On the other-hand, if a player finds the game inconsequential or boring, they might want to raise the stakes. There is a “sweet-spot” for every player, but to find it requires understanding the difference between being attentive and anxious, between concerned and overtly worried. Sadly, because everyone is different, there isn't a perfect formula which can direct each-player to their corresponding limits. Some people lose their minds after losing two-dollars, whilst others can lose every-penny they own and not even flinch.
Poetic ! Have you tried writing poetry ? :D Emotion ? Hmm . I still can't control them ! Do you play only for money ? I think when you play live poker it's hard to hide your emotions . Especially when you play with the same players . They know you better than that . There's sometimes possible to deceive them . Still playing online poker is easier .:D

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tells