Linux, WINE, and Online Poker Clients - Discussion/Experience

Barthanatos

Barthanatos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently successfully using Ubuntu 9.04, WINE 1.01, and the full tilt poker client to play poker on-line.

I've been using linux for about 8 years now as my sole OS, so I'm fairly experienced at getting it to do what I want. I had never used WINE before.

Recently I decided to give on-line poker a try, and signed up with FTP. Installing WINE went smoothly and without drama. I simply used Synaptic Package Manager to install it.

The FTP client (for Windows) I obviously downloaded from their website. I saved it to my Desktop, right-clicked on it, and chose to "run using WINE". Again, the installation was uneventful.

Problems I've had:
1. No sound (fixed) - The key to this was choosing the OSS driver instead of the ALSA driver in the Wine Configuration menu. Then, I had to edit the command for the FTP launcher (shortcut icon).
Instead of:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/chris/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Full Tilt Poker\fulltiltpoker.exe"
use:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/chris/.wine" padsp wine "C:\Program Files\Full Tilt Poker\FullTiltPoker.exe"
2. The lobby occasionally freezes (not fixed) - This has never affected gameplay for me. Once I open a table, everything seems fine. But sometimes when first opening the program (and signing on), it just sits at the lobby screen and won't do anything. I haven't really tried troubleshooting this much.
3. I haven't got Hold 'Em Manager to work (not fixed) - I have, however come across reports of it working. Also, some people apparently run HEM on their Windows machine, but run the database on a networked Linux box, using a different filesystem (can't remember, but it wasn't ext3) that is better optimized for databases. I have spent very little time trying to get HEM to work.

Other Comments:
Pokerstove works fine.
I've only played about 200 hands, so experience is limited.
Depositing works fine.
I've only been single-tabling. I've opened a couple of tables at once, but just observed.
I tried the bodog client. Apparently it requires Internet Explorer (which you can install), but configuration seems to be a major pain, although one guy I saw had done it.
PokerTracker seems to have similar issues to HEM.
I installed the pokerstars client, and ran it. I didn't find any issues, but I didn't try to play or even observe any games.
WineHQ has some good info here, with reviews of different applications and how well they work: http://appdb.winehq.org

Anyone else?
So if you have any comments/questions/suggestions or anything else to share or discuss as it relates to Linux and playing poker on-line, please post. I'll try to help where I can.

Last edited:
StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea what WINE is. I know most people on this forum use poker software by either HEM (hold 'em manager) or PT3 (poker tracker 3). My guess is most people here won't be familar with it so you may be better off checking to see if there is a support forum from WINE or google to see if there are others that have posted about it to try and get help that way. Good Luck!

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea what WINE is. I know most people on this forum use poker software by either HEM (hold 'em manager) or PT3 (poker tracker 3). My guess is most people here won't be familar with it so you may be better off checking to see if there is a support forum from WINE or google to see if there are others that have posted about it to try and get help that way. Good Luck!

Yeah..I'm gonna go ahead and guess we've got maybe a few percent here that know what WINE is and even less of a percent with any experience trying to run poker software in it.

This thread, for the uninitiated, is about running any and all poker software on a Linux operating system. WINE is the software that allows you to run Windows applications in Linux and is necessary to run any closed source Windows software in Linux. It often requires some tweaking (ok sometimes alot of tweaking) to get stuff to really run right though. (And if you don't have at least an idea of what Linux is then just keep right on moving, this thread will never affect you ;) ).

My general opinion is that it's not worth the hassle especially since I'm not going to seriously play without my HUD. I have gotten random clients to work (Bodog, Pokerstars and FTP) but I tend to play lots of tables with a HUD so I'm basically SOL here.

Would really really love it if everything worked well though. I'm more than ready to show Microsoft the door.

M

Mixxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Full tilt poker on Wine 1.1.26

Hi there,

I am a quite new user on Ubuntu,
This is actually my first install, I have ubuntu 9.04 with wine 1.1.26,
I tried to run Full tilt poker but I don't even get to the first screen wich is the server connection,
I followed all the steps I could find on forums but nothing has worked so far,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Windows in a New Environment I believe. It's basically just a Windows-to-Linux compatibility adapter.

I was going to try this all with Linux but my wireless adapter wouldn't install, and I don't think I could play much without HEM.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good work bart. i've been using *nix for well over 10 yrs now myself. i started with slackware linux and have been using freebsd for the past couple years, since i'm more of an old school unix type guy anyway. all my unix machines are kinda old, so i run all my poker software on a cheapo windows laptop. but that's very cool, nice workaround to get the game you like going on the machine you like.

my suggestion for HEM, i don't have it or use it, but you're correct, would probably work on a windows machine with a networked drive, that would be my 2nd attempt if it didn't work in wine.

wine is a pretty slick deal, it only works *all right* in bsd, hit or miss. that's an application i've made a lot of use of over the years though.