LF Recommendations to make $20 to $40 a day

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No quick way to make 20-40 a day... at 250 following Chris Ferguson's BRM means you could only safely play about 2NL... if you stick to that you wont get near your goal until you can build your bankroll up.

C

carfire77

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't mean to make 20-40$ a day with this small of a bankroll, I meant what levels, # of tables does it take to achieve that and how do I get there.

I had always pretty much just played in smallish MTTs and bigger SnGs for fun and not really played much cash games.

2NL wasn't hard to figure out because of all the family pots and getting donks to stack off when you have the nuts or near nuts.

However, its not what I would consider real poker, and is not a viable strategy at higher levels where you can't see the flop for cheap all the time.

I have little experience with fixed limit. I have had several people tell me its much higher variance because you can't push people around and off of draws like you can in NL.

I read Helmuths book about starting out playing FL with just the top 10 hands, betting all the way down, and making good money, but I have a hard time believing that is a viable strategy now, since that was when he was young and the masses were much less educated about poker.

I know there is nothing easier than 2NL, but I don't think I can play the amount of tables it would take to make $40 a day. I'm no Boku87.

I have never had success in SnGs, my AA always get killed by 8 6 offsuit allins and they flop a straight and that sort of thing.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never had success in SnGs, my AA always get killed by 8 6 offsuit allins and they flop a straight and that sort of thing.

lol, no succes in SNGs means you are not good at them not that you run bad, unless you have a super small sample size.

To earn $40 a day I would say you need to be playin 25nl 2k hands per day or 50nl 1k hands perday.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, no succes in SNGs means you are not good at them not that you run bad, unless you have a super small sample size.

To earn $40 a day I would say you need to be playin 25nl 2k hands per day or 50nl 1k hands perday.

1k with 50nl??? Isnt that like .50/1 dollar tables? Are you sure? I mean are there going to be like no big hands? When you're starting with 50 does it really take that long to get another 40?

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1k with 50nl??? Isnt that like .50/1 dollar tables? Are you sure? I mean are there going to be like no big hands? When you're starting with 50 does it really take that long to get another 40?

if you win at 8bb/100 and play 1k hands a day at 50nl your doing pretty well. You wont be playing 1k hands a day 1 tabling. Like 6 tabling for 2 hours at 6max. Longer at FR would do it.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to burst your bubble, but there is not exactly a lot of market for a grown man to babysit, thats generally for teenage girls or family members.

And really your comment is completely irrelevant to my question, which is about poker, not my personal life. You know nothing of my circumstances to make such a generalization.

I have been working for over 10 years prior to losing my job. The unemployment rate in this small town over 20%. The employment classifieds section in our local newspaper is literally blank almost every day. Even McDonalds/fast food places aren't hiring. And believe me I would gladly wash dishes, scrub toilets, or pretty much anything at this point.

Back to the point, I can make 5 to 10$ a day (6 to 10 hours) 3 tabling 2NL, buts thats primarily because the level of play is so bad and people will stack off easily.

Thats not enough to live on obviously, but a potential start. I know I can't sustain this profit ratio in higher limits, as people are much better players even at 5nl. But I think even if I was to 12+ table 2NL for 10 hours a day, my brain would probably melt before it became worthwhile.

I would assume 1/2 NL would be the minimum level to make a small living?

Yea. I am a jerk from time to time. I still love you though. How's your poker adventure going?

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But in all seriousness, I wouldn't expect poker to pay your bills until you've got enough money in it. As you can see from this thread, pros gauge their success by BB/100, playing X hands a session.

If you do not have the BR to support this kind of play (several thousand hand downswing - brought on by bad beats, being card dead, not getting action on your monsters, etc) then you probably won't be successful in the long run. Anybody can buy in for $100 and run it up to $1500 on an upswing. But expecting continued results is not wise.

Best of luck to you.

P.S. A big dumb mean cynnical bear . . . that wuvs you!

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't spoted this in other replys so here it goes;
If you're good at HU SNG you can make 20 $ a day starting whit 5 $'s hu.
In 2 weeks you can double ur BR and move to 10's $ were the competiton is the same and prob make 500-800 $ a month playing 40 HU SNG a day

L.E. the bankroll management requirments for HU SNG is 30-50 Buy ins; so whit 250 $ you qualify for 5 $' matches

C

carfire77

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea. I am a jerk from time to time. I still love you though. How's your poker adventure going?

There was a while there after my last post some months back where I was so broke I had numerous shutoff notices for water/electricity, lost my internet, and was way behind on my car payment. I ended up on food stamps because I literally had nothing to eat, which is something I was not proud of.

Dring that time, I pawned/sold all my stuff of any value, including my Gibson SG guitar and music gear. I literally had nothing and was seriously looking at joining the military rather or peace corps or anything, rather than end homeless.

Finally a couple months ago, when it was looking really grim, I got a job delivering pizza and I've been playing catch up since then. Better a job than none at all.

Now that I am semi-stable financially, though still rather poor lol, I have gotten back into poker and been slowly building br playing micros on a couple sites. Its tedious, but using proper br management is teaching me endurance and discipline that will serve me down the road when I can afford to move up past 5nl.

Thank you guys that answered me and offered me advice back when I posted this. I knew it was a far out question and I was under-rolled, so I expected some mockery, but I had nothing else to lose by asking, so I appreciate the helpful and informative answers :)

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad to hear things turned around for you.

I'm just now going over this thread and noticed your earlier question about what limits would it take to sustain the income you wanted. You asked if you had to be at 1/2 to earn that kind of money. If you're good enough and can handle the volume, you can make six-figures playing 50NL. But you have to be crushing the game and have the discipline and fortitude (and bankroll) to achieve that.

I just play part time, after work and on weekends. When I'm focused and disciplined and playing my A-game, I can be a solid earner. When I was playing primarily 50NL, I might make $1500 in a month just playing part time. But then the next month I might lose $2000. Rakeback and bonuses helped a lot, but it was still very swingy, and I've just come to accept that I'm prone to burn-out. So generally when I start swinging wildly, I take a hiatus, do some studying and leak plugging, and will often jump over to SnGs/MTTs just to change gears and blow off steam. I often find that doing so gives me some fresh perspective and gets me out of that burn-out phase (the main reason I don't think I could ever grind for a living) -- this burn-out leads to impatience, boredom, tilt, and all sorts of problems that inevitably feed and multiply my swings.

Point I'm making is that variance is a beeyotch, and combined with your personal character traits, the swings can be brutal regardless of limits. So you can certainly make a living grinding the micros if you're built for it, but you can also take a beating. Whether you can attain a specific earnings goal is entirely up to you and your game. Nobody can really give you a recipe.

1k with 50nl??? Isnt that like .50/1 dollar tables?
50NL is .25/.50. 100NL is .50/$1