Level of play vs buy in

O

oneearthjc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a VERY green poker player. I've been playing on Full Tilt for less than two months and this is my ONLY poker experience (no live games near me.)

I am trying to learn, but become increasingly frustrated when players are continually willing to shove in all there chips on less than a coin flip because it is only a $2 game.

For example: 108 player tournament blinds are at 60/120 and stacks are pretty equal. I am in the small blind and have have 2200. The play folds around to the button who limps in. With AA I raise to 360, the big blind folds and the button calls. Flop is A J 4 (all different suits) giving me three Aces! I raise to 840 (pot) and the button goes all in. I obviously call and he shows K 10 of clubs and hits his Q on the river, basically ending my tournament.

I realize that people take unreasonable risks at all levels, but I am just wondering if at the higher stakes have a better quality of game? I have a very small bankroll so I don't want to learn at a much higher lever, but am wondering if $5 or $8 levels are any different.

Thanks!

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found the level of play is just about the same no matter what the stakes. There are plenty of players who play like that at the higher stakes, in fact sometimes I think that the play at the lower stakes is better, maybe because the players are poorer and more careful with their money, while there may be more richer, reckless new players at the higher stakes who aren't as careful with their money and just want to have a fun time.

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play well you will win, the fact he called on a gutshot is a good thing. In the long run you will come up very much ahead. Dont get upset from one bad beat, it happens.

Also, do not raise levels if yuor bankroll cant take the hit. There are many good bankroll management threads on this site and I suggest reading some, they are very helpful.

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes the level of play is higher in higher buyins. i don't play high buyins but from the small increases such as freerolls vs $1 vs $2 vs $5 there's already a difference. this is just on average of course, you will always come across plays you completely disagree with. you will not notice the buy-in level by the cards they're playing, but see it in their level of thinking.

on a side note, i've seen some players do better in the higher buyins, probably because they bluff a lot more.