Justin Schwartz - Love him or hate him, you can't ignore him

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously he is a good player, but his behavior is unrespectfull, annoying!! It's funny to watch, but to play against this kind of player is very hard!!
I don't approve his behavior on the table.

R

rubenz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok. As I was saying, I did not want to be bad :D ...just asking because I only saw him this year playing at wsop so I didn't know the guy

M

massagegirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 33 set vs 66 set was brutal but why such a low class reaction. Nice fold by QQ.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like him, like his game play, and the first time i saw him i laugh a lot.

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many people do you know that can say they have played against Phil Ivey at 200/400 heads up PLO? Stealthmunk.

I agree, the guy is a real player.

No reason, it was a rhetorical question. Though he seems pretty suicidal, too.

If you read his post at 2+2 forum, you'll see he talks about his life story and even suicide thoughts ran through his head, but that was before and he's better these days.

Obviously he is a good player, but his behavior is unrespectfull, annoying!! It's funny to watch, but to play against this kind of player is very hard!!
I don't approve his behavior on the table.

I agree, still as a pro you have to know how to deal with every person and player around the table, no matter how hard it may be.

Ok. As I was saying, I did not want to be bad :D ...just asking because I only saw him this year playing at WSOP so I didn't know the guy

It's all good :)

The 33 set vs 66 set was brutal but why such a low class reaction. Nice fold by QQ.

Indeed, so brutal and no way to get out of this hand without getting hit. You can hear the Russian player asking Negreanu if he would have folded queens and told him that's what he did, and received the compliments from Negreanu.

I like him, like his game play, and the first time i saw him i laugh a lot.

He's a real character indeed, that's what makes it so entertaining watching him play.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone sense a difference in his attitude and demeanor from the black scarf day to the white scarf day?

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone sense a difference in his attitude and demeanor from the black scarf day to the white scarf day?

Wow...what an analysis, haven't thought to look at it at all :)

Will check and let you know what I see, if I see anything.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

L

leandr0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you type Stealthmonk you will see some posts in some forums where he explains about his past and his situation. he actually is diagnosed to be bipolar and also has some past with drug addiction (as stated in the above video) so that explains a lot. he might seem weird and all but he really is genuine and has a character that stands out of the crowd. so he has that one characteristic a poker celebrity should have. he has a strong character even if it is unlikable by many. and of course the other characteristic is poker skills. where he proved in a lot of cases that he had it, and the only reason he didnt make the final table was running in a big cooler hand... i actually think negreanu is a lot more unlikable due to the fact that for him the game is only about showing off. you can see him clearly slowrolling sam cricket on the big one for one drop when he had trips, you can see him slowrolling two other people when they shoved over his set of 2s... really he doesnt play poker he is a showman. i know thats his job i am just saying that he is not original. justin is. and not everyone likes originality..

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he a good player but certain his actions on the table I do not like

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[...] he is not original. justin is. and not everyone likes originality..

I don't understand your point about slow rolling. Is that the same as "slow playing"? [Edit: I figured out that it is not, but I'm typing this at work, so I don't have time to format my correction.] If so, I don't see how that reflects on Negreanu's character. Also, when you say that not everyone likes originality, maybe it is more that different people appreciate different types of originality. Maybe Negreanu is original in a way that you don't appreciate, in the same way that you feel that Schwartz is original in a way that others don't appreciate.

Never mind what I said about slow rolling. I looked it up. Didn't Schwartz do something similar in the video? When Cannuli had two-pair and Schwartz checked back in lieu of bluffing, he took a few moments to reveal that his hand was no good. The other players were visibly perplexed as to whether Cannuli had the best hand or not, because Schwartz took his time in either mucking or revealing his losing hand. Also, when Schwartz bluffed Steinberg with K3o and eventually showed one card, was the way that he went about this action not showmanship? In Schwartz's own words, "[...] all talk and actions at table [sic] are purely strategic and judging people for it is irrational. Its just a persona, an act. I'm better at it than Dnegs too [...] Everything any pro says or does at a poker table can and should be considered an act." In his 2+2 post that is linked to earlier in this thread, he admits to employing these strategies in the same way that you are finding fault with Negreanu for doing. I am not arguing for or against Negreanu or Schwartz. I only mean to say that the implied contrast between the two may be fallacious, at least when solely regarded on the basis of each one's character. They seem to be very similar individuals, though they may have found different motivations in their lives.

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you type Stealthmonk you will see some posts in some forums where he explains about his past and his situation. he actually is diagnosed to be bipolar and also has some past with drug addiction (as stated in the above video) so that explains a lot. he might seem weird and all but he really is genuine and has a character that stands out of the crowd. so he has that one characteristic a poker celebrity should have. he has a strong character even if it is unlikable by many. and of course the other characteristic is poker skills. where he proved in a lot of cases that he had it, and the only reason he didnt make the final table was running in a big cooler hand... i actually think negreanu is a lot more unlikable due to the fact that for him the game is only about showing off. you can see him clearly slowrolling sam cricket on the big one for one drop when he had trips, you can see him slowrolling two other people when they shoved over his set of 2s... really he doesnt play poker he is a showman. i know thats his job i am just saying that he is not original. justin is. and not everyone likes originality..

He had a troubled life, amazing that he found poker as a safe place for him to forget his troubles, and make money as well.

I think he a good player but certain his actions on the table I do not like

Read what was said earlier, he's not 100% regular and has issues, not doing everything on purpose.

I don't understand your point about slow rolling. Is that the same as "slow playing"? [Edit: I figured out that it is not, but I'm typing this at work, so I don't have time to format my correction.] If so, I don't see how that reflects on Negreanu's character. Also, when you say that not everyone likes originality, maybe it is more that different people appreciate different types of originality. Maybe Negreanu is original in a way that you don't appreciate, in the same way that you feel that Schwartz is original in a way that others don't appreciate.

Never mind what I said about slow rolling. I looked it up. Didn't Schwartz do something similar in the video? When Cannuli had two-pair and Schwartz checked back in lieu of bluffing, he took a few moments to reveal that his hand was no good. The other players were visibly perplexed as to whether Cannuli had the best hand or not, because Schwartz took his time in either mucking or revealing his losing hand. Also, when Schwartz bluffed Steinberg with K3o and eventually showed one card, was the way that he went about this action not showmanship? In Schwartz's own words, "[...] all talk and actions at table [sic] are purely strategic and judging people for it is irrational. Its just a persona, an act. I'm better at it than Dnegs too [...] Everything any pro says or does at a poker table can and should be considered an act." In his 2+2 post that is linked to earlier in this thread, he admits to employing these strategies in the same way that you are finding fault with Negreanu for doing. I am not arguing for or against Negreanu or Schwartz. I only mean to say that the implied contrast between the two may be fallacious, at least when solely regarded on the basis of each one's character. They seem to be very similar individuals, though they may have found different motivations in their lives.

Good point.

C

CupOfSalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm firmly in the 'love him' camp, he's a fantastic poker player and by all accounts a genuinely nice guy

Nice guy? LOL dude he's not a nice guy at all. He's a snake... he angle shoots, intentionally breaks rules for his own benefits, pushes the limit to what's acceptable, etc.

Daniel Negreanu has talked to the poker media about Schwartz... basically trying to help Schwartz and make him into a better human being because he truly is a real POS.

He's a great poker player though and is very skilled at the game.

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice guy? LOL dude he's not a nice guy at all. He's a snake... he angle shoots, intentionally breaks rules for his own benefits, pushes the limit to what's acceptable, etc.

Daniel Negreanu has talked to the poker media about Schwartz... basically trying to help Schwartz and make him into a better human being because he truly is a real POS.

He's a great poker player though and is very skilled at the game.

He did say that everything he does around the poker table is calculated and on purpose, so...maybe he's different in real life than around the table where he comes to earn money.

Not that I justify his acts or behavior...

ShinGraze

ShinGraze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read his stuff from 2+2, quite heartbreaking. The guy is clearly super intelligent, but struggling mentally. Very easy to insult him from the sidelines. He's a real person and everyone should back off a little.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone know what has happened with Justin Schwartz?