Is it wrong to call a clock on someone when u are not in the hand

Fuffufnick

Fuffufnick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like many here have already stated; "Tournament Poker needs a shot clock". It seems so abundantly clear that it's an absolute no-brainer and one would think it'd be readily accepted by players, directors and media alike. It solves every problem from players not wanting to portray tells by acting too quickly or slowly to blind level concerns to equalizing the amount of hands seen by all participants to media planning.

It's done in chess, at all levels, which contains infinitely more complexed facets to consider, considerations which multiply both in number and complexity as the game progresses. It would be so easy to implement as each participant is given a timer they must initiate on their turn. I could even see a scenario, much like in chess, in which each player is given X amount of minutes to be used at each blind level; perhaps further equalizing the quantity of hands seen by all tables and adding strategic time management decisions to the game. Not to mention completely eliminating all questions of etiquette and players policing players and becoming vilified for enforcing, what they feel to be, their rights.

Last edited:
NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I think yes it's ok if it has been a really long time. I would think anything over 5 minutes would be considered a long time. I'd never do it tho, I'm way to passive.
5 minutes in the 20 minute levels MTTs I play is too long IMO. I have never called a clock on anyone, but after this thread I might. 1-2 minutes in the format I play is too long. The rest of us are missing valuable hands.

I

ihave36

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends what the situation but early in the tournament i say no, but in the later levels with bigger blinds more than 2 -3 minutes with 20 minutes levels is a long time and will cost other players more chips to play less hands.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Almost every time I have ever seen it called it was by someone who was not in the hand.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like I remember a few years back where in the wsop a player actually called the clock on himself, lol.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
calling the clock sometimes is necessary because people waste time for no reason.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like I remember a few years back where in the WSOP a player actually called the clock on himself, lol.

I'm pretty sure that was Daniel Negreanu that did that. Always entertaining, isn't he?

J

jangalang37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually people would call time if they aren't the ones in the hand. I understand both sides but if someone calls time on me while I am thinking about calling someone all in for more than 2 minutes then I will be getting really shitty. Of course I play online a lot so I usually don't take more than 30 seconds on a hard call.

With that being said if someone is taking longer than 5 minutes then I would probably call time, not to be a douche, but to keep the game moving along.

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has got to be the most hysterical thing I've heard. Do it when you're not even sitting in at the table.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id say if you see a player taking way to long over and over sure ask for it but if its here and there and your not playing the hand stay out of it,let the players in the hand request it .

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see anything wrong with it. Anytime I call the clock though I like to give a heads up (really I've only called it once). I said "it's been about five minutes, I think the rest of us are gonna want to call the clock soon." and then a minute later I called it. The decision was for the guys whole stack, but he was very short stacked, so it should not have taken that long at all. In a tournament I have heard of the players at a particular table making a deal to decide everything in under two minutes or table calls clock to increase hands. I might take a stab at live tournaments soon and I would definately agree to that if someone offered it up.

To me, taking more than two minutes is only gonna make you over think your hand.

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's perfectly fine to do so. It's not rude at all but actually helpfull for everyone I guess. It sometimes seems that some guys wouldn't reach a decision never ever. So why not just help them with their tough tanking a little bit. It nevermind if you're in the hand or not. Others will surely appreciate it too.

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its not wrong to call clock on anyone because to my mind in live tournament play you should only need 5 mins max to make your mind up

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a time limit online, why not live at table? Some micro players are terminal.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone's taking too long, then calling the clock is fine, especially in the tournament. Blinds go up.

In cash games, just walk away and take a break or something. Tell the dealer to lock your seat, and take a break. Cash games are different. If you come back after 10-15 minutes and he's still making a decision, then I would call time.

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allowed or not, it seems very douchey if you aren't in the hand.

A

arrow1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker at: Lock
Game: Omaha
Tournament poker is getting so damn slow, people need to start calling the clock way more often. After 2 minutes, I have started to call the clock no matter what the situation. Sometimes I will call it after 1.5 minutes if it is not a big bet. People have not been too happy with me since I started calling the clock more often, but I don't care anymore. All of this tanking makes it way less fun for the rec player to play tournaments. I have talked with a lot of bad players who like to gamble and they are really turned off by how slow the game has become. We really need a shot clock in poker, I know that it is going to be hard to implement, but it is worth it to try.

This says it all for me, every Joe and Jane acts like every move is a WSOP November 9 showdown. I get a little gamesmanship and not making hasty moves to easily be read, but it seems more and more players are acting and putting on a show more than really thinking about a hand.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also believe that it is a bad etiquette when someone (in or out the hand) calls clock on someone, unless it is really taking an exceptional amount of time.

F

FireMedic815

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is wrong to call a clock on a player that is taking an insane amount of time to decide what he or she is going to do. Most of the time you see a clock called the player has tanked for ten minutes or longer, I feel you should be able to make a decision in 5 minutes or less, even in the toughest spots. If you're a short stack and the blind level will increase soon this becomes even more of a pain, and really justifies you calling the clock.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely call clock on anyone. But I will, even if I am not in the hand.

When someone is just tanking for 3+ minutes, it is a bit too much. No decision in poker should take longer than 3 or 4 minutes.

Especially when people are in a tournament, a clock should be called at some point. The person is affecting everyone at the table (yes even if they aren't in the hand) by taking obscene amounts of time to make decisions.

I think some sort of shot-clock could be implemented in poker. It is rediculous how long people tank sometimes.

M

michael demichele

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not wrong to call a clock on someone when you're not in the hand. Just know that some of the players won't like it and other players will be glad you did it. Everyone deserves a lengthy time now and then when their stack is on the line, but at some point you gotta move things along before the blinds get too big.

That said, I rarely call the clock and usually let people have 5 minutes. Unless they keep doing it of course.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands