Is it even worth playing poker as a hobby?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st post 9 days ago, and he hasn't return, and very likely won't.

For recreation, play play money and freerolls. No scared money allowed for you.

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is only worth playing if you are into it and plan on getting better. If you play it as a hobby, you are only going to lose your money eventually unless you quit when you are ahead. And if you did want to play, you shouldn't be playing with house money, save up and maybe consider when you are financially more stable. Good luck on the path you decide to take.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I was young, I played guitar, as a hobby, spending endless hours finding out I sucked. I do not regret it. Mom knew I had no real talent, and mentioned it coyly by telling me to stop wasting my time and get a job.

However, I enjoyed it, and every now and then I would perform a song and get a few pats on the back, and feel rewarded.

Wouldn't trade those memories in for anything.

So the thing is that if you understand it is a hobby, by definition the hobby does not need to be profitable, but does need to be enjoyable.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think poker is only worth playing if you are into it and plan on getting better. If you play it as a hobby, you are only going to lose your money eventually unless you quit when you are ahead.

I'd beg to differ with you on this statement.

Pretty sure there are ALOT of poker playing 'hobbyists' who are profitting from their hobby (& don'thave to 'quit' in order to stay ahead).

I've never won from the house.... just the other players.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play guitar as well as a hobby (about 35 years)
started off 'chord bashing' A,D and E.
i can now play the moonlight sonata (and lots of other things)
i know scales, arpeggios,chord formula's jazz and blues improvisation,
music notation,intervallic designs etc etc ad infinitum .
this takes time , practice and thought.
the same applies to poker.
start off crap thinking you are 'good'
gradually learn and improve over time with thought and practice
how much you improve is up to YOU.
you get out what you put in.
by the way i am still thick lol
gl all

K

kingmurda219

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker as a hobby i tried FAIL........ nice for some fun though!

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider playing poker for me as a passive, if not casual, hobby.

I'm lucky if I can play for about 1/2 hour a day at 5NL level. Is it enough to rake tons of money? Not really, but for my time and style of play, it is a fun hobby. I started a while back with a 50 dollar deposit and I withdraw money when I want. This allows me to get some spending cash and maintain a BRM for 5NL.

Is this the ideal thing to do? Not really but it suits my style of play and I'm happy with the extra bucks every now and then. You have to remember that if you play this way it's not going to give you lots of $$$ ever, it's just a fun passive hobby. I like to play but I'm not overly hardcore about it.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only ever played recreationally, and considering I've been doing so for over six years now, I'd certainly say it's feasible. That said, I do have a few thoughts that might apply to and help you.

I don't play with money I'd be upset or even annoyed to lose. This refers both to taking money from my pocket to deposit and play with, and to buyins for individual games. Thankfully, the former was only an issue when I started. I gave myself a $150 bankroll and vowed never to add another cent. Fortunately, I got it up over $500 quite quickly, cashed out my original stake, and have been playing with my winnings ever since.

The latter refers to avoiding the miindset that I have to play at a particular level. I play small relative to my bankroll so that I never have to play scared. And even then, my level can vary with my mood. To use ring games as an example, I've played every level of NLH up to NL 100. And on any given day, I pick whatever level I feel comfortable at. As a result, there are days when I'll only play .01/.02 because that's where my comfort level tops out on that day. And sometimes, I won't play at all because even that would be too high.

And third, I don't fool myself into thinking I'll somehow make life-changing money. While my small winds do add up nicely every year, we're talking enough to buy a new PC, take a little vacation, etc. - not new cars, houses et al. If I thought along those lines, I'd probably be at least a little disappointed. But since my expectations are minimal, I always surpass them, which leaves me happier than having a higher target and falling short.

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And third, I don't fool myself into thinking I'll somehow make life-changing money. While my small winds do add up nicely every year, we're talking enough to buy a new PC, take a little vacation, etc. - not new cars, houses et al. If I thought along those lines, I'd probably be at least a little disappointed. But since my expectations are minimal, I always surpass them, which leaves me happier than having a higher target and falling short.

This is exactly how I look at it too. Provides me with no pressure and allows me to enjoy playing. It also provides those nice little things I can buy. :)

The other thing I do is mix up the games I play. Currently I've been enjoying 5 card draw the last 2 months. This allows me not to get frustrated in type of game. Thus allowing me to regroup and come back when I'm refreshed.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only ever played recreationally, and considering I've been doing so for over six years now...

Post of the week right there. Too many players expect to get rich quick out of poker instead of enjoy it for what it is; a fun hobby which might make you a bit of coin if you're any good at it.

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing casually and for a hobby is exactly how i roll! I usually make a min deposit or get some funds through a private forum free roll and then i play MTT or s-n-g that i can afford to help me unwind after work and occasionally on the weekends, never planed on turning pro or supporting my family through poker, not that it wouldn't be nice but i am a realist and it just ain't gonna happen

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
look bro the proplem of playing poker as a hoppey that will just bleed chips as you dont have the commimant to the game and playing loose game it just excuse to lose money
(poker like a quick sand the more you fight the faster you sink)

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to me you have to enjoy it, the second it becomes like work, then it's not worth playing (or maybe it's time for a break ... i didnt play online for 6 months, then i started playing again and it was fun all over again)

i also think it's extremely difficult to be successful at it if you are not having a good time

and where else can you get that gambling rush as cheap and as easy?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
People play for different reasons ie. 'gambling rush'(above), some play to socialize, others for the competition, others to make money, etc.

slgalt

slgalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the original poster is banned, should we bother commenting? Just curious.

But as for not being able to afford to play, then don't deposit, just grind it out in freerolls and build your bankroll.