Is it Bad Luck to be Superstitious?

U

unadonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it Bad Luck to be Superstitious? Asking for a friend.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't believe in superstitions but I have friends who face them and in my opinion it's not ok because you get to a point where you try to get away from certain people in your life because you feel like something is happening to you bad because of them, I say that because I know someone who refuses to go to certain parties knowing that there is a person there who is considered unlucky for him and that's why I think it's a disease that can be remedied by talking to someone specialty

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Superstition for believers is normal, but from the side of science everything can be explained.

YRAGAGARIN

YRAGAGARIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I think that being superstitious is deceiving yourself and common sense.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not believe in superstitions. Of course, luck decides a lot in our results, but in my opinion, our skills and experience are the basis for a successful game in the long run.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're referring to playing poker, the answer is a definite "yes". You'll be passing up many good opportunities, because of belief in non-existent things.

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Superstitions

I think if you believe in one it’s good luck. I have some but I just do them because I’m afraid if I don’t I really will have bad luck. Silly but true

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The universe has no memory, so it is downright stupid to be superstitious.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are two answers to the question.

I am not superstitious about anything and have not been since a child - or so I tell myself. Most would say they are not.

However, that does not stop many very successful people, sportsmen for instance, from accomplishing tasks based on a lot of routine behaviors, habitual physical ticks. Rafael Nadal is perhaps most famous for going through the same physical motions before playing each point - wiping his brow, touching his nose then sweeping his fingers over both ears, In fact tennis players are known for imitating each others routines for fun.

But then think of golfers who have precisely the same set up before swinging or putting. Football players have specific routines to get dressed etc etc.

Now, you could say this is a broad definition of being superstitious but the mental state is similar if not the same. The mind enacts a series of habitual actions to get to a point of calm to execute an action. But we act like this throughout our lives in different ways. We create good habits to succeed, instigate patterns of behavior to achieve desired results.

So though being superstitious in an obvious manner appears silly, such as thinking Friday 13th brings bad luck (though most classic superstitions have historical origins) most of us tend to follow odd little behavioral patterns in our life.

And...I would bet the neighbors house that most poker players have a routine before they sit down to play a session to get all their ducks in a row, to relax and focus.

E

eugenedav

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes being superstitious saves you from making a bad move or mistake depends on the scenario.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Superstition only brings on more doubt. Trust your skill and the nerves will subside.