Intuition or common sense?

M

maykon98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe in intuition the more I play Poker, the more I realize that I should listen to my institution.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is almost as useful as patience. It’s not right every time but there are things to pay attention too. Sometimes I can feel when a good run is coming to an end or when a good run is about to start. Paying attention to these feelings is a great way to change your play accordingly.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you will lose/earn money using bouth if you are in that spot at some point of the game .

Anatoliy73

Anatoliy73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest that intuition is more important, but to lose his head is not necessary, sometimes common sense should prevail.

shikah

shikah

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally have found that if i didn't use 50/50% of both I would be missing a LOT of superb hits.

Sapiens

Sapiens

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker can not learn from the book

I think you can pick the math element from the books and get a better feeling for what's more likely, you don't have to compute it yourself. I wouldn't try to pick psychological advice from a book that much, you have to figure that out at your table.

I realized that I have to use common sense and intuition but at tournaments, common sense can deceive a man
I think intuition is the most important

I think it depends on what you seed into your subconscious. If you are new to the game (playing poker for the first time/picking up new variant) your intuition will mislead you a lot.

- If you review critically your decisions from a probabilistic standpoint (what is the net result of my decision if we repeat similar situation 100 times?) then your subconscious can start to develop a likeliness radar.

- If you try to guess exactly what is your opponent holding, when good cards will be coming, when they will stop to come; and if you review your decisions only by result, you will just keep guessing. You will try to do something what is impossible, and trying to persuade yourself that it's possible and you're getting better at it.

I wouldn't say that at a table you have to pick if you're using common sense/intuition/instinct - these things mean different thing for different people.

I would say that the most important thing is how you evaluate a decision. If you're reviewing your play in a right way, you will develop that "thing" which you can use in tough spots.

emk4976

emk4976

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think knowing the players you are up against on the table will help you make better reads and decisions. Some players get married to a wide range of decent starting hands in all positions. Dissapline and focus is need on when to fold certain hands preflop in certain positions and not to leak chips by playing out of position. Try to keep pots small till the river so you can decide on what`s the strength and value of your hand verses the players you are facing. Making the right decision at the right time will help you stay alive in the tourney you are in. Timed aggression is also key to running good in a tournament.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying Poker in the abstract will get you only so far, but relying on intuition alone is folly. I think back to college and creative writing class. Great writers all know proper grammar, and plot development, but often opt to deviate. One can not skip the basics and hope to be successful against good players.

bellam

bellam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are important, I would say a good poker player uses 80% logic and 20% intuition.

Poker is a complex game of "incomplete information". In chess you see your opponents moves and possibilities, in poker you do not.

Therefore, intuition is also an important skill which can be developed through experience and study only.

E

Ekaterina Danilenko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it would be good common sense, but unfortunately most of the intuition

gotace503

gotace503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i try not to think when i play. i look at it as playing for fun even with big buy ins. thinking always screws the calls up. for me at least

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need more practice need more to play I would advise you to play a Freeroll just don't rush with big stakes so I advise you to watch videos of tournaments and of course play on the intuition you need without it in poker will not work.good luck to you