Including poker/card playing on a resume?

FLyby

FLyby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I all just depends on the job you are going for. Some places might be ok with it but I can think of many job types that playing poker would be frowned upon (until you get the job and get invited to their game) :D

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As an employer of about 6000 people, There are two ways to look at this question. One, if poker is a social interest, I would mention it as a hobby. If poker was your major income source, Then I would say that the majority of my income for x years was earned as a professional poker player and let the chips fall.

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gd ques

Lots of great answers here,so heres my thought.I would not put playing poker down,unless it was my main source of income the past few years.
Im guessing most employers just would not understand.However I would relate yor computer skills and other related beneficial info.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker playing is one thing as a sometime entertainment to most people, but extremely suspect as "full time employment." Gamblers are, for most non-gamblers, people who take unacceptable risks and who could, at any time, get in over their heads and succumb to temptation (like stealing from the company.)

That you were trying to stay afloat by playing poker will only be considered positively by another poker player -- and only if you actually made a solid living. Scraping by for over 2 years would look...pathetic. That you are now looking for regular work suggests you were either not successful or went busto (which, to a savvy player, suggests you didn't use bankroll management. which suggests you are not too smart.)

If you have decided to retire from poker, after winning the wsop and several other major tournaments, and the game is no longer something that challenges you, that's another thing. Bring photos of your poker trophies. Even for a non-gambler, it could suggest a great ability to learn at a high level, and succeed. Kind of like being a former sports star. Even then, many non-gamblers will still view you with suspicion. Who puts that much time into what they perceive as a luck game? A job interview is no time to try to educate a possible employer on the skill aspect. If you made it that far.

I'd probably say I was self-employed. Skills include evaluating people and situations. Decision making based in part on statistical and psychological factors. Evaluating relative risks and opportunities, as well as continually evaluating current situation.Staying up to speed on latest trends. (Assuming I did all that, of course.) Keeping it vague but not unattractive.

Or you could go all-in, put your cards on the table and let what happens happen. Assuming that some percentage of the time, some percentage of the places you are applying, will consider this +EV.

FatCatBamboo

FatCatBamboo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why you haven't posted your resume on this thread yet. Maybe one of us can hire or at least help you.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Per OP, not a good idea--others have fully explained why. Since you are in the NYC area however, you might have a shot in one field. Google "Wall Street Recruits Poker Players" (in quotes).