Idiotic thing i did in poker

imasquare

imasquare

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone does some idiotic things in poker, anything from a dumb play to a missclick, which i keep doing frequently, but the most recent was on a cc freeroll at ultimatebet, where i was on the BB with K3o and it was folded down to the SB who min raised and i called (mostly because i hate min raises,when the blinds are so small), the flop was 676,he checked and i cheked, the turn was 9(no flush draws),he bet and i called(don't know why)river was an A he bet(i knew he was pot committed, i knew he wouldn't fold, but i still pushed allin with K high lol,he called and he had A9) ...know that there was just plain retarded all the way on my part, and i don't know why i did it...it was a brainfart.

xtrigemino

xtrigemino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is better play more hard in that kind of situation, no free cards!, just bet doesn´t care. put out of the way the other player if you think the board is dangerous for you.

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get pocket aces i tell everyone I have them and then go all in. My friends always think im lying and call. It became a pattern and they didnt afterwards so i started pretending i had them until i got called one day.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad AA story:
I'm short stacked in a tournament after a couple of missed hands. Not time to make a move but I need to get stacked so I can get back into comfortable play.

I get AA on the BB. Two limpers and it comes to me. I figure AA is strong enough to take on 2 players so I slow play (queue ominous music...).
Flop comes out rags. I raise 1/2 the pot. One fold then a re-raise to 2x my bet. I shove and they turn over a flopped two pair. I'm out of the tournament.

If I'd have bet the AA (like I usually do), I would have most likely have been safe.

AA Good (?) story

Different tournament. AA on the button. The guy to my right raises 3x BB. I 3-bet him to 9x BB and he calls.
Flop comes out rag-rag-Jack. He shoves. I say "You flopped two pair didn't you?", and he answers! "Nope, I don't have two pair". "Well you've got pocket Jacks, Fold". He flips over JJ. I show my AA and he says "How the hell did you lay that down!?".

It's not too hard when he practically told me what he had ;).

Lost my raises but stayed in the tournament to take 2nd :)

How did you show your AA if you folded??

Yep, AA can hurt.

I often fall victim to chasers playing terribly that catch their str8/flush/trips/2 pair and I try really hard to resist the temptation of the dreaded slow play.

The worst beat I have ever taken with AA was in my first $24 + $2 tournament.

I had made trips on the flop to add insult to injury.

I did check on the flop though, so that contributed greatly to my downfall.

moeraj

moeraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
problem with playing AA pre-flop if u play low stakes ring games is that there is no money in the pot to steal.I play mostly 5 cent 10 cent and you really want to get more than 15 cents for your big hands.Therefore you try to make a measured raise and hope for 2 or 3 callers.Once you play them this way you must be able to fold them to a dangerous board or a big re-raise.

Dogfish44

Dogfish44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it boils down to it AA can get beat by 22!! Depending on the draw, and another pair of 2's should pop up... I've even beaten AA with a 10-4 unsuited by flopping the full house. It happens!

I think the lesson to be learnt here is how to manage your pre- and post flop strategy? Not necessarily going all in pre-flop, but an aggressive enough raise or re-raise should send out some signals...

Even if you're the sort of person that applies math to poker, AK, or KQ stands a better chance of beating AA, logically there are more K's & Q's left in the pack to be drawn, while the player with AA is waiting for the solitary A to be turned (in the 1st instance) and if (in the 2nd instance) another K or Q is drawn, then the lower pre-flop hand has the two pair!

Last edited:
T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tonight, in a freeroll, early (15/30)...i get AA. i'm on the button, couple limps, guy before me raises 3BB...i pot-raise (seemed like a good BLAM raise with all the limpers)...big blind calls...all else fold. guy before me shoves, then i shove. BB, who was donkish, all ready had 5000+ chips in a starting stack of 1500 within the first 10 mins, calls us both. me and guy before me turn over AA. BB turns over 77...in the community cards comes 4,5,6,8...good night to both AA's

S

sasquatch01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

i think anybody slow play AA are going to get burnt bad i did it and i was put out faster then u can say good bye

C

CashinJen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep

Well at least you learned a lesson. Take it to heart and make sure you don't make the same mistake twice.
Better luck next time

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks to me like u missed the fact that the flush draw was been chased by your apponant,,an u were cuaght up in the aa u were holden,,,the check on the after the turn card says it all to me,,,gotta make em pay for draws wen u got big overs

S

SuperDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...Even if you're the sort of person that applies math to poker, AK, or KQ stands a better chance of beating AA, logically there are more K's & Q's left in the pack to be drawn, while the player with AA is waiting for the solitary A to be turned (in the 1st instance) and if (in the 2nd instance) another K or Q is drawn, then the lower pre-flop hand has the two pair!

You may have 6 outs with KQ, compared to 2 outs w/AA. But you have to hit two of those outs.

A rough calculation (which assumes I did my math right, a might BIG if), shows that you hit 2 or more Ks and Qs 10.3% of the time. For reference (and correction) my calculations are: ((6c2)(44c3)+(6c3)(44c2)+(6c4)(44c1)+(6c5)(44c0))/(55c0) = .103. From that, you have to subtract the times an A comes and add to it flushes and straights (which I did not calculate). Let's say a KQ beats AA 11% of the time (of course, that depends on which suits the K and Q are vs. the AA and if the KQ are suited, as well).

Cardplayer.com's poker calculator shows that a KQs vs. AA which matches neither suit is still only 17.5%.

I'm not sure what my point is (because I wasn't quite sure of yours). But if you are saying that KQ is a better hand than AA because it has more outs, then I believe you are mistaken.

S

SuperDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My latest stupid mistake

I played the last hand I had this hand.

I have a trial version of Poker Tracker installed. When a hand goes to show down, it displays the last hand, and each player's cards. I had won the previous hand thanks to my great pocket cards and they were displayed over my current cards, so I played them, again. Of course, my current cards were no where near as good and when it was time to make a play after the flop, I flopped over and died. Oops! :).

Dogfish44

Dogfish44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, so I'm wrong! :)

I'm not sure what my point is (because I wasn't quite sure of yours). But if you are saying that KQ is a better hand than AA because it has more outs, then I believe you are mistaken.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, and on this occasion it seems that I have been proven so. You have obviously done your homework on the subject and I congratulate you for taking the time to do so. I am but a mere novice poker player, having only started in May.

I think my point was... that with AA you are limited to chasing just the set of A's however with KQ or AK there is more of an opportunity to catch the straight as well, or flush if suited. Does this not open up the possibilities to be a little more creative with your betting/bluffing?

I only speak with limited experience, and have lost a few hands whilst holding AA (usually to ridiculous calls of all-in on a 89 suited!!) it's a difficult laydown to be sure, especially when clinging on for the river to produce the 3rd A.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^hey man AA can be a real curse! you want to protect that hand as best you can. if everyone folds to you preflop, consider that a victory. that's not a hand to play around with. sure, we'd all like to see AAK drop down on the flop when we have that hand but it just doesn't happen very often. no matter what drops on the flop if i get a caller, i want them thinkin "this dude has hit it, i better get out of here" and hope they don't think "heh, i got trip 7s now" because i'll be damned if i'm not going to try to push them off of playing any further, unless they let me know otherwise. you will definitely take a nasty beat with it and remember it.

i cashed that sunday grand at doyle. finally, a chance to have some money i don't mind losing, and try my hand at a ring game, 2/4c is their lowest i think. my AK lost to some awful hand, and took half my stack. i started building it back up over the course of an hour and a half, not quite to what it was. oh sweet AA. i'm on the BB, mid-pos raises, i re-raise. GOD! they called, wtf, dammit. the flop had a K in it (they had KQo), i bet a good lil amount of cents...they raise to where i have to shove, whatever, i was thinking they suck or they have 2 pair and have me on a pocket pair. i shove with my AA...their 3rd king hits on the river. there goes my expendable money, gonna have to cash the sunday grand again. that's fine...i never would have played KQo in a ring game from early-mid-pos but i guess that's their thing. was glad i had an agressor to play with at least, just didn't go my way. i'm sure they were pottying their pants till the river hit anyway.

but hey. AA is a guaranteed high pair...sometimes a flop and a turn, and sometimes a river just suck, even if you've hit a 3rd A; and by that point, you'll often be pretty committed to your hand. i think, by just a matter of luck, i've hit more flushes/straights with AA than with KQs just because i don't play KQ very often...i just don't know how to play KQs as well as i play 78s or 89s. maybe that's a booboo on my part

P

Phospate22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My idiot move was in poker when i won 200 Euro and than i play roulette 5min 200 euro gone, 2nd won 130$ and move up stakes loose everything, win 100$ and play blackjak so if i stay in poker i could be sucessfull but i cant :S

W

waldorood

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How did you show your AA if you folded??

I was playing live. I said "fold" and he took the pot and showed his cards. I had been playing LAG (and pulling a bunch of pots unchallenged) so I wanted to show that I wasn't re-raising him with nothing so I turned my cards over as I pitched them into the muck.

ihtennis

ihtennis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, its gotten to the point where i no longer even attempt to slow play a big pocket pair. If i do, my opponent always hits his set with a low pair or makes his flush

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, what can I say other than I timed out with a Royal Flush,,,, Sad but true,,
can laugh about it today,,,but not then.
Take care

Ouch... same thing happened to me. KT diamonds in the big blind with 5 limpers in the pot. Flop comes 9-J-Q diamonds, river was A diamonds. I almost cried.

S

SuperDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the Nuts and didn't know it

I had never played poker before but watched it on TV. I decided it was something I would like and could be good at. I did play backgammon and had read a little bit about it, so I wasn't unfamiliar with gambling basics.

A few years ago I bought a basic book for beginners called Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em and read it cover to cover. The book had extensive examples for practice, but I just read straight through it. Then I stocked up on caffeine pills and took a drive to Atlantic City. It is the only time I have played live poker. I played for about 18 hours straight and won about $250 at $2/$4 limit poker.

In the middle of the night, there were few people at the table. It was mostly me and another guy, who I'll call the Jolly Raiser, and others who floated in and out as the night wore on. I played mostly alone against the Jolly Raiser for about 3 or 4 hours.

JR had a strategy that I did not pick up on right away. If I checked, then he checked. If I raised, then he raised. He did this with a smile on his face and while making voluable happy talk and jokes with the dealers.

In limit poker, you can only bet or raise a total of 4 times. But every time I was in the pot alone with the Jolly Raiser, he made a point to remind the dealer that the 4 raise limit is not in force during heads up play - the message was really intended for me. He never lost his smile and projected an air of confidence; the implication was that he would raise me to the end of my chipstack every hand. I was losing confidence and folding hands for a long time.

At one point, a large, drunk guy who was built like an offensive lineman sat down at the table. He looked like he barely knew how to play and was fading in and out of consciousness.

I was finally dealt a good hand against JR and I flopped a big full house; I didn't realize it was the nuts. I bet, so of course he raised and jocularly reminded the dealer that there was no 4 raise limit. After a few reraise-rereraise-rerereraise... etc., I got cold feet and called. On the turn I raised and reraised a few times before calling; JR reminded the dealer that there was no 4 bet limit in heads over and over again, all while smiling. I was scared that I was throwing my chipstack away. On the river, I raised again, so did JR. I reraised and so did he; he started his mantra about no 4 bet limit in heads up; I reraised some more until about half of my chipstack was gone and I finally called - that was the dumbest thing I ever did in poker!

The drunk offensive lineman who was barely conscious looked like he had passed out, he was leaning over and resting on an elbow, but was watching through slit eyes. I turned over my cards. He said "Full house! Why didn't you reraise?" Then he passed out and fell off his chair (no joke!).

I think I broke even against JR, but he left with a lot of money that should rightfully have been mine. If I had followed closer one of Ken Warren's lessons, which was about reading the board and recognizing the nuts, I would have bankrupted JR.

Hope you enjoyed my story. It still pains me to think about it. I didn't play any poker for about two years after that until I signed up for a pokerstars account last summer (I played again this summer - but now school is due to start next month and not be able to play much at all).

Last edited:
S

SuperDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little balance

The best thing I did in poker was act like a super donk.

After reading the book I mentioned in the last post and going to AC, I asked if I could play. I then proceeded to act like an idiot who had no idea what he was doing. I handed the money to the dealer (you have to put it on the table); the dealer waited not-so-patiently for me to bet and I asked sheepishly if I wasn't allowed to wait for the BB to get to me. I'm sure I violated some other rules and etiquette and looked like a total newby.

When the BB got to me, I was dealt pocket KK, another K on the flop. I kept betting and people naturally assumed I had no idea what the heck I was doing. They were probably right, but I won anyway.

After winning the very large hand one guy turned to me and said "You're the big winner at the table". I teased him that I was gonna leave (I didn't).

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't feel too bad. Everyone make mistakes. I've made mistakes like this before. We all did. At least you didn't overplay your overpair or top pair. I get into trouble with overplaying hands while you're being cautious with your AA. There are ups and downs to styles of playing.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You learned your lesson-hit him hard early. If theyre gonna chase make them pay for it. If it costs too much they gotta fold.

You either win a small pot or lose a big one.-Doyle on pocket aces