I don't understand **rebuys**

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I allowed to ask why not?

Because the level of play online doesnt even start to compare to the level of play at the wsop, Reread the OP. The Villain is ALL IN every hand. I have never seen ALL IN every hand preflop getting repeted at the wsop. Not even on TV where they edit out 90% of the hands that dont have action.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've often wondered that if entering rebuys without the intention of every rebuying would be a good strategy.

The idea of a rebuy is somewhat odd to me, so I have never played these tourneys.

I'm not so silly as to think there is necessarily something WONG with a rebuy tourney. There is just something gamble-y about it that doesn't appeal to me.

That said... I've always though taking one down for just the entry fee would feel pretty good.

deadhxc

deadhxc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've often wondered that if entering rebuys without the intention of every rebuying would be a good strategy.

The idea of a rebuy is somewhat odd to me, so I have never played these tourneys.

I'm not so silly as to think there is necessarily something WONG with a rebuy tourney. There is just something gamble-y about it that doesn't appeal to me.

That said... I've always though taking one down for just the entry fee would feel pretty good.

I have played in 3 rebuys so far and never rebought but I have added on all 3
came in 5th in one 42nd (itm) in one and just bubbled out of the one today when pocket kings were beat by A4o :( .

I make a plan to only do the addon if I am < 10k chips

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you guys are saying it is very common and has somewhat of a strategy behind buying in 20+ times?

I dont see the logic in it myself.

Yes, It's called loading the table. Problem is on line you may get moved before you can take advantage of it.

B

ButtonDog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a rebuy I will set a predetermined amount I'm going to spend on rebuy's plus the add on. It will usually be 5X the buy-in.

My goal in a rebuy is to win the tournament, not just cash. I like to have at least 16,000 chips by the end of the rebuy period and will play a little looser. If there are three or more involved in an all in I'm not afraid to call with any two connectors or suited pockets in hopes of winning that pot. If I reach 5K or more I slow down and become more selective, but keep in mind that my 1st hour goal is 16K in chips. With ten minutes or less left in the rebuy period and I'm way short of that goal I will avoid any more rebuys or even the add on.

I seem to do ok in rebuy's following that pattern. It may or may not suit others.

The good thing about being short of my goal of 16 K is that many of those doing a lot of rebuys is that they have trouble changing gears and tightening up after the rebuy period. Keep an eye on them. You can pick up chips from them.

S

Sk8surf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya some player dont care if they are rebuying in 10$ tourny 15 time cause they have so much cash most of time its a bingo fest super hard too not get bad beat in rebuys lol i peronally dont like them but .

A

ArianSilver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuys are magnets for people with more dollars than sense.

Quote quote quote!!!
Rebuys give you the opportunity of going on with the game and reach the bubble. But they are also one of the best ways of losing your bankroll. You can find bad players playing them and "survive" with money power. But most of the time they are losers...

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really need to estimate the probale payout and make a guess at your game level. Can you make the money. How deep into the money can you get. this should govern your rebuy/addon total.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play a tourney with limited rebuys and addons I always assume that I will be buying all available, provided the payout makes sense relative to my total expenditure.

I play tighter in a tourney with unlimited rebuys and can usually take advantage of those loose chips.

Why would a player spend as much as he might hope to win? I do not think my personal psychosis runs deep enough to understand that.

S

salex77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy tournaments

I agree rebuy multi-table tournaments, many professionals like daniel negreneau are willing to buy in if they feel they have a decent chance of cashing in a tournament, I think at one Daniel set a record in a rebuy tourney and rebought 17 timesand he ending up winning the tournament. H e feels because of superior skills he can use his chips stack and build a stack and then play selective but aggressive in the later stages of tournament and in the early stages play a somewhat but loose philosphy which involves racing in coin flps like 88 vs ak or smalll pr vs over cards in order to buld a huge stakc and then use it to his advangtage in the later stages.

T

thebiatch22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are alot of people in those that will go all in to take a chance of doubleing up since if they lose they can just rebuy i myself would rather not rebuy at all and still finish in the money

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I am definately going to keep my play style the same and I really enjoy him spewing chips, I was just curious if this was common at all and if there was any logic behind it.

I have seen the guys who shove with decent hands and just rebuy, but, never to the extent this guy was. Any 2 cards just about he was shoving. I couldn't and still can't wrap my head around why
Within reason, maniac play and lots of rebuys makes sense, depending on the field and payout, but lots of peeps do it with garbage hands and dont mind blowing a ton o cash for no reason, seen it many times. Myself I like this action around me, but any rebuy I limit myself to 2 buyins (top up at first) and one rebuy.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Within reason, maniac play and lots of rebuys makes sense, depending on the field and payout, but lots of peeps do it with garbage hands and dont mind blowing a ton o cash for no reason, seen it many times. Myself I like this action around me, but any rebuy I limit myself to 2 buyins (top up at first) and one rebuy.

I try to get through without any rebuy or add-on.
Good for the prize pool if many rebuy a lot.

liv3player

liv3player

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frustrating

Yes I also don't understand the aspect of unlimited re-buys.It makes for less poker more Bingo,although if your able to cash in on this Sweet!!I was able to myself a few times.How did you make out this tourney?