Did I do the right thing this time?

A

Agro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, here is another one.

Deep in a tourney and I am comfortable chip leader (about 15,000, vs second at 11,000). Blinds are 150/300 with 25 ante. There are 11 players left and 8 get paid.

I am dealt QQ in middle position with 6 players at the table. I raise 3 big blinds. Player directly behind me reraises to 2400. His stack is around 10,000. Big blind calls with stack around 5000. I have not seen either player play much as I have just changed tables, so I have no real read on them.

What would you do??? I reraised all in and found myself up against AA and KK. Now I am suddenly a short stack. Doh

toogood2k

toogood2k

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
emm before flop i whould try bet as much as i can to see what they have in hands... about +6x bigblinds pre-flop if they are already called or min-rised. if they bet 2/3 or potsize bet then fold on flop. if they just 3x bb or smth betting then try rerise him big and see if he is calling. afther that just need see what he is doing and do all right. :)

hunterT1000

hunterT1000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well presuming no one was in the pot before you (you didnt say) the initial raise was fine. When the player imediately to your left reraised you have to start thinking deeply. This is where I jump onto sharkscope and alot of player would refer to poker tracker, the guys just put 1/4 of his stack into the pot and you need to know what kind of player he is. When the BB flat calls alarm bells should start ringing. You have to ask yourself "what has he just called half his stack off with". You have 15,000 chips and only 900 invested. Its hard to fold big pp's but this is a time where you should.
Had both players had big stacks there would be an argument for a flat call here but if the BB has called off 1/2 his stack, hes definitely not folding.

PS.. the flat call there screams monster, Im guessing the AA was in the BB and you walked str8 into his trap.

hope this helps