I get bored, make stupid play, bust, How to fix?

C

chiller001

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
playing multiple games at a time may work. It's just about disciplin. if you get bored analyse your opponents even more, think about there moves and so on

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think fatigue (boredom) brings out the hubris and stupid poker behaviour. I like Towsts the Door into Summer blog, it reminds me not to think lazy or irrationally hopeful, which we often do when bored. Or sometimes, as Tommay Angelo points out in discussing Quitting (see my thread on his book), we sometimes do dumb things just to get out of a boring situation so we can go do something else. Bad poker.

D

DocHamer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will get midway in a larger MTT (or even SNGs sometimes) and will get bored or distracted because there isn't much action, or I am not getting hands. Then I will choose to play a bad hand that I normally wouldn't play under the circumstances and I bust out unnecessarily. Example follows.
Jan 17 21:06ET$3 + $0.30 Tournament 76521185
Jan 17 $3.00 + $0.30 454 214 Later last night, I made myself stay focused, and despite many bad beats, I came in 10th out of 331 entrants.

I think I read Jennifer Tilly in Bluff magazine, and said once something like, My brain says don't make that play, and she sees an arm, her arm, putting chips in the pot, her brain was right, and she busts out....I do this. Finger pushes button bet/call/raise, brain says, not a good idea.....

HOW do I stop stupid plays??????

On the other side, I have moved my overall ROI from -73% to -40% and I actually have a plus 5% in the in the 11-45 sngs.

I have met the enemy, she is within........:p

tourneys are all about patience. just relax listen to some music and wait for your cards. do you think the people in the wsop or any other cash tourney play them in 1 or 2 hours? Did you know the WSOP lasts for days but they show you on TV 1 hour segs?

Remember you goal is to win money not lose it.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HOW do I stop stupid plays??????

I have met the enemy, she is within........:p
Sweetie,
Congrats on finding a major leak in your game. How to fix it? Well I can't give you a receipe for that but the biggest part of plugging your leaks is admitting you have one!

Poker is a game of patience. That's a huge aspect of playing MTT's. I know it's frustrating when you throw away 20+ hand in a row!!! You start to wonder why the poker gods are so upset!

When I start going on tilt like that. What I do is try to slow my game down a little bit. When it's my turn to act, I breathe deep a few times....look at the rags I was dealt....say, 'rags, throw it'; 'rags, throw it;' 'rags throw it'.....then press the fold button. Every time I do that I feel a little bit better of myself because my reasoning and intellect made the correct decision and I didn't give in to my impulses.

There are quite a number of excellent players, but honestly the person that beats me the most is....me!

The subject of self-mastery is a long and complex topic. Good luck with it.

A

annie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have used a lot of your suggestions. One that is working for me now, is looking up stats to keep me busy. I am lasting longer in the tourneys, so something is helping. I am really glad I found cards chat and am grateful for all of you who take the time to post.

Last edited:
woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad play

i sometimes play rags just coz i get bored and sometime it workes out sometimes it dont i usaly only play it when im brd myself when i start getting brd i haf2 try make myself leave and go back 2 it or i will lose alot

D

Dertaderp23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this has happened to all of us at one time or another. I always find something else to do while I am playing the tourny. Surf the internet,etc. This seems to help

MizLuvMonkey

MizLuvMonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that watching TV or reading the forum or other message boards helps me to not get bored. One of the things that I will do when I get deeper into the tourney, is I put myself in autofold until UTG, BB, SB, Button so that I don't make those dumb plays. I can also take myself out of it if I get AA, KK, QQ.

Good luck with whatever you find for a solution.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually just crank up the itunes to keep things exciting, or i multitable. Thats what i usually do anyway, so things don't get to boring. no more than 4 tables tho, because then it gets a little hard to focus.

Y

yankeenut23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the only way not to get bored is to multitask..play in 2 or 3 tournys at a time or do the bills or check emails..If I just sit and play in 1 tourny I am doomed I get bored and start doing stupid things..when I am patient I am at my best.
Yankeenut23

B

buzzopaff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are getting bored it means you are not paying attention. You learn a lot more not being in a hand usually. Try anf figure who has what, how they bet etc. Plus are you being too tight, playing too few hands etc. ???

E

ElTrain

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Multi-tabling, listening to music, watching a good movie are all great suggestions. I like watching the table though, so I usually stick with music, or listen to a movie online.

007LesMurphy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the key to playing poker... Usually I read a poker book or read articles online and play when the window pops up and judge the cards as it is. Avoid being on Tilt at all times

H

housebreaker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hand held yahtzee game that I like to play when the cards go dead. It helps.

good luck