how did you learn to multitable?

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi guys,

i'm playing 10NL, i'm doing fine when i play only 1 table. Tried 2-tabling and i failed miserably. I lost my read on the tables when i'm 2-tabling.

Anyone can give some advice on how i'm able to 2-table better?

Thanks!

V

Vrilissia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure you'll get better replies than mine ...

If you play the same strategy on all tables while multi-tabling then the decisions will become automatic.
i.e. AA-KK re-raise, QQ-TT 3xBB etc

Good luck ;)

P

pastel deck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it's more about having a strategy that isn't very much based on how others are playing.

calicokid49

calicokid49

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
practice, practice practice! u r playing against more hands at multiple tables giving more possibilities against u.remain teachable !

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
especially low stakes (that's where I play btw), most of the play will be very predictable, and as you play more and more you'll recognize betting patterns. The players aren't that observant, so as mentioned you don't really have to mix it up much. Soon the plays will become second nature, you just have to quickly take in a couple things when it's your turn to act. Preflop note position, action before you, and obviously your hole cards. Postflop look at the action before you and try to remember what you did preflop, usually from the cards you have and the pot size you can tell (eg you have AA and there's 70 cents in the pot, you probably raised and got the caller because you would have re-raised if he raised to you). I would also recommend looking into getting PokerAce HUD if you don't already, it really helps with reads multi-tabling. You'll need pokertracker first (and apparently if you wait PT's coming out with a new one soon with a HUD, so if you don't have pokertracker, I'd just wait and buy the one with the HUD included). Most of the time the stats won't even really matter, but when you face a tough decision, the VP$IP and PFR% can help determine their preflop range and then if you look at their aggression along with cbet% and cbet reactions you can put them on a pretty narrow range. Most of the time I just try to play as if I'm playing the average player (which practice will help you get an idea of how that player will play), and when I have a tough decision I can use the PAHUD. I 6-table now, but I remember when I thought 2 was a lot. It's just a lot of practice, grinding it out, and recognizing betting patterns. Good luck :).

H

hacklimit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently learning to multi table on the play money tables. I can now play four comfortably, but I want to be able to play eight at once. Playing just one table, I have finally figured out, can be a real grind.

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the advice guys! i'm playing on bodog which means i cant use PT. Will try to put in more practice time. Thanks!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice :)

In the beginning I could literally not even manage 2 tables. Practice practice practice, yadda yadda yadda, I'm now 8-tabling and looking to add more. This is all with the help of PT, PAHUD and some other little scripts etc that help some.

If you're serious about poker, multitabling is definitely something you should stress on for improvement. Winrate is key.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is all with the help of PT, PAHUD and some other little scripts etc that help some.

^^^^ This. PT and PAHUD will take care of the reads you miss while multi-tabling. Also, if you have these programs then do some data mining at the tables before you sit down.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In the beginning I could literally not even manage 2 tables. Practice practice practice, yadda yadda yadda, I'm now 8-tabling and looking to add more. This is all with the help of PT, PAHUD and some other little scripts etc that help some.

If you're serious about poker, multitabling is definitely something you should stress on for improvement. Winrate is key.

What other scripts do you use?

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done 12 tables easily. I don't watch how other people play though, I just play my hands the way I think they are needed to be played.

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PT and PAHUD seems to be the key to multi-tabling, but i'm playing on Bodog. PT & PAHUD dont support Bodog do they? is there any other program out there that can help with multi-tabling?

rick32

rick32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
set backgrounds

to keep track of different tables i am playing i set the backgrounds on the tables to different looks like on ub u can make 1 black or 1 a vegas look........helps me remember what players do at different tables i am playing..also most sites have a spot where u can but player notes that helps 2

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What other scripts do you use?

Well tbh right now I only use a reload script, but have used others and am looking to use more.

I used to use a table opening script on full tilt poker for datamining which was very useful. I was looking for a bet pot script for PS but none of them work with my nice cardschat theme (they function by using images and custom themes require custom editing of the script which I don't know how to do).

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
more than four tables? I don't see the point in learning to play that many tables. You can just move up in blinds if you find that you need bigger profit.

The way to learn to multitable is to start with one and add on more tables one at a time.

Remeber that there are many automatic fold decisions that can be done in less than a second. Also use the time button wisely. I usually press the time button before my time runs out, instantly make the required actions at the other tables and come back to the most critical hand at play.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more than four tables? I don't see the point in learning to play that many tables. You can just move up in blinds if you find that you need bigger profit.

1. Theoretically, the higher blinds you go, the tougher the opposition

2. 4-tabling 25c/50c for an hour is similar to 1-tabling 25c/50c for 4 hours, NOT 1-tabling 1/2 for an hour. Multi-tabling is a way of making the long run come in less time, decreasing variance.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Theoretically, the higher blinds you go, the tougher the opposition

I'm glad that only happens in theory. The truth is that there is so much fishing to be done at low to mid levels. I have personally found out that many times the action will be better at .10/.25 than .5/.10 atleast in pot limit omaha hi/lo.

But yes, once I get to the 0.5/1 tables, I would expect the players to be tougher.

2. 4-tabling 25c/50c for an hour is similar to 1-tabling 25c/50c for 4 hours, NOT 1-tabling 1/2 for an hour. Multi-tabling is a way of making the long run come in less time, decreasing variance.

Yes, but I think once you start multitabling heavily (4+), I believe you will miss out on key information. Of course a lot depends on the speed of the tables, there is a big difference between the once that play 120 hands/h and the ones that pay just over 50 hands/h, not to forget your skill.

Perspnally, I find that playing of four fast tables takes a lot of energy from me, I don't see how anyone would play 8 tables from 9 to 5.

D

DP_Machine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re: How did you learn to multitable

I think it's just because they've done it for so long and players have gotten used to it and are able to pick up the information that they need in order to play and not just play well, but play winning poker.

I'm just curious as how players fit that many tables on the screen. I used to play on multiple tables a while ago, but looking to get back into it and get some more experience with the online game, after reducing my play significantly because of school. I just bought a 22" monitor for my 12" laptop in my room so I'll have more real estate on my display for multiple tables. I may play at different sites as well, currently on PokerRoom and UB, and open up to others, just to have a different look for each table to make sure I don't get the tables mixed up.

There was one time, I was multi-tabling on PokerRoom and the cards that I thought I had for one table were actually for another table. The way I had the windows set-up threw me off. It didn't do any major damage, but it made me consider getting more practice with multi-tabling, so gonna give it another shot! Probably start with 2-3 first though....

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but I think once you start multitabling heavily (4+), I believe you will miss out on key information.

Of course you do. That's the thing - you lose an edge on each table which results in something like a 7BB/100 winrate rather than a 10BB/100 for example, but would result in making that 7BB/100 winrate several times over depending on how many tables you're playing.