How and when is a poker player determined to be a professional?

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I see many players mentioned or autoproclaimed as a Profesionals. So. How or when a poker player could have the category of a "Profesional Poker Player"? :deal:

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When your winning enough to play full time, have a nice bankroll that you never have to take from to pay bills. Your results will have alot to do in this matter as you could be rich and just play poker think your a professional.

I see many players mentioned or autoproclaimed as a Profesionals. So. How or when a poker player could have the category of a "Profesional Poker Player"? :deal:

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
The things that you mention could be an ideal goals. I know about a few players on that conditions. But I'm not very sure if they could be named Profesionals.
When your winning enough to play full time, have a nice bankroll that you never have to take from to pay bills. Your results will have alot to do in this matter as you could be rich and just play poker think your a professional.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right there probably not, but when you started winning enough and playing poker and not working to me that's professional. You don't need to be playing on TV or traveling the world. You could play local cash games 50 60 hours a week and travel 4 or 5 times a year to play in tournaments inside your country and make a lot of money without any recognition

The things that you mention could be an ideal goals. I know about a few players on that conditions. But I'm not very sure if they could be named Profesionals.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I understand your point... A player who spend 100% of the time being a poker player and getting the money and life style just from the game. But to be named Profesional have to have credentials or demostrate studies or something like in other professions.?

Right there probably not, but when you started winning enough and playing poker and not working to me that's professional. You don't need to be playing on TV or traveling the world. You could play local cash games 50 60 hours a week and travel 4 or 5 times a year to play in tournaments inside your country and make a lot of money without any recognition

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's simple, a professional poker player is a person who makes a living playing poker, that is, poker is his profession, so he is a professional.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think a professional player is first and foremost a player for whom poker is a profession that regularly brings him a basic income. In addition, professional players have professional achievements, such as winning popular live or online tournaments.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can pay your bills and live your life only with your poker income consistently

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I asked this question when I first started poker and found many different definitions by many different people. So came with my own definition. There are two catagories of professional. 1). Those who play poker because they are skillful and can make a decent living at it. 2). Those who play because they don't want to work a regular job.

Jim

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not a professional, I play as a hobby, fun, entertainment and because I like it, from the moment I start to live off poker earning money, it's not more Hobby and yes profession

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's simple, a professional poker player is a person who makes a living playing poker, that is, poker is his profession, so he is a professional.
I was hoping to see some original answer in this thread, but everything is obvious here and there is simply nothing to add here!:)

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Just like any other profession, when you live on it alone.

This one, regardless of the level, if he is a profitable player, and can make a living from poker, yes, he is a professional player.

But if your comparison is technical, then the correct term is skill level, not whether a player is professional, amateur or recreational.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Better understanding

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a better understanding of what it makes a poker player a professional. 🤘

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Yes it is. I think that... then difference is, a skill player is not always a Profesional player. Thanks for your reply. 🤘
Just like any other profession, when you live on it alone.

This one, regardless of the level, if he is a profitable player, and can make a living from poker, yes, he is a professional player.

But if your comparison is technical, then the correct term is skill level, not whether a player is professional, amateur or recreational.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I respect all opinions, I know a professional who is not very well known or famous but lives 100% of the money he generates from poker, he plays local tournaments and in neighboring countries... so I think it is being a professional poker player:D

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes it is. I think that... then difference is, a skill player is not always a Profesional player. Thanks for your reply. 🤘

Exactly!

Profit and skill don't always go together, sometimes in the long term they can meet, just as a weak player can have an astronomical ROI in the short term or in a bad fild.

But I'm glad I could help.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you live off nothing but profits from poker you are considered a professional. There are many negative millionaires in this category, meaning they are a million or more in the hole, often mostly borrowed but they still pay their debts and grind out a living with poker. There are poker players who are good self-promoters and make a living while playing with mostly OPM, other people's money. Only about 5% of poker players make enough to live off the game. Only about 1% of poker players are positive multi-millionaires derived from the game, and at one time or another most of them had been negative millionaires. Most of these statistics are derived from Ace on the River by Barry Greenberg, a legend now but who was once a negative millionaire himself.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
i would consider someone known to be a professional when they can make a living from poker, and able to play comfortably in tourneys and high stakes cash games

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, a professional is someone who has completely devoted himself to poker and earns a living playing poker.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Very interesting info. I have more to investigate. 🤘
Once you live off nothing but profits from poker you are considered a professional. There are many negative millionaires in this category, meaning they are a million or more in the hole, often mostly borrowed but they still pay their debts and grind out a living with poker. There are poker players who are good self-promoters and make a living while playing with mostly OPM, other people's money. Only about 5% of poker players make enough to live off the game. Only about 1% of poker players are positive multi-millionaires derived from the game, and at one time or another most of them had been negative millionaires. Most of these statistics are derived from Ace on the River by Barry Greenberg, a legend now but who was once a negative millionaire himself.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
It is quite discouraging to see those figures especially for those of us who pretend to have benefits from poker. I found Greenberg's book in pdf. I'm going to read it.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
For me is professional poker player person who play live tournaments and had won money so he or she must not go to work 8 hours per day or more. This player travel in the world, go from one tournament to another and has no worries about the money in his life.