How to tell a Donk

BLACKSTACK

BLACKSTACK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to me a donk is when they get a bad beat,rivered or simply lost to a better hand,and next hand they go all in,with any two cards

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why is that a bad thing?
B/c they lose a majority of the hands they play like this. They call all bets down to the river & showdown with just high card. Then they get mad b/c they loset the hand.
I have yet to see one of these tools last long in the MTTs I play.
Are you one of those players?

bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any time some one losses a hand to me they are a donk and any time i lose a hand to some one else i am a donk. HaHa.....

neil1603

neil1603

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Embrace the donk they are your pay cheque :D

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No mercy for the short stacks or the donks.

M

MIShroomer47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently learned that it's best to not inform your other players that you are a smart player by pointing out others mistakes... i'll comment something like "wow" or "sick" but that's about it anymore. I used to be reeeaaally bad haha, especially when i played on FullTilt lol

If they truly are bad players, they're not gonna wake up from something you said and start playing better all of a sudden, they're just gonna keep playing the way they do, and when u start gunning for them and their K6off two pairs against your AKs you lose your stack cause u thought you had him this time.

P

paymefoolsfool

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently sat at a table where a guy was shoving every hand I was taking my time and folding just waiting for that one hand to felt him then I get a 53 and he just calles my BB flop comes A 2 4 now I have him and I check and smooth call the flop and turn then shove on river he has AA for set and calls me a donk I lol and remind him he didn't raise with that hand just called my BB so I know he was tring to trap but got traped instead....lol who's the donk now that he got felted with the one hand that he should have shoved with!

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. dont chat
2. see 1
3. see 2

As far as spotting the donk goes, my wife always suggests I look in the mirror........

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer, pay attention!

How you tell a donk probably has alot to do with your definition of the term donk. My understanding is that it refers to a player who is to stubborn (like a donkey or mule) to lay down a hand when they should know that they are beat. There are lots of bad players out there. Not all of them are donkeys. There are a lot of unorthodox players out there who play a wide range of hands, that are quite successfull just because they are so unpredictable. I don't think that makes them donkeys, especially if it works for them. The donkey could just as well be the guy who calls a big pre-flop raise with pocket Qs and then refuses to fold to an all-in bet when the flop comes A-K-K. Not because Q-Q is such a donkey hand to play, but because he should have known he was probably outflopped and not been too stubborn to his Qs down. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not necessarily about the cards as much as how they are played. A-K is by no means a donkey hand. But when the flop is middle cards, and the turn puts a third heart as well as a possible straight draw out there you might need to consider folding to bet. At some point you have to consider that your "Big Slick" has shrunken down to just A high and let it go. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Poker Tells