naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's something that hit me recently
1) I tend to let my "mind" dictate my play as apposed to my reads
2) I have "Stage frieght" when it comes to big buy-in tourneys same for mtts, and sit-n-goes, which generally make me tend to tighten up my game play, and therefore i'm not really at my best.

I've had ppl tell me on here that "passive play" seems to rotate around willing to lose the least amount of money in any pot, therefore if ur mindset is already in a losing state, then u can't be a winner.
My question is were all human beings, and there is some-sort of fears that we all have, how does one over come those fears, yet at the same time, not get so overly confident that he/she may make some unrashional decissions, that may affect ones persona/game play.

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most times I find that if I go with the mind I have to be careful to tell it to look for reads, instead of my emotions, and i will tend to endure.

I also look for friends or guides who have helped me in the past and hold my ground until I Know the hand is done, or I need to fold.

Focusing on the task at hand can also help to devert those feelings of stage fright. I printed a big card and wrote "Don't rush!"

If you can remind your self of this you will end up making the least destructive decisions based on fear.
regards

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are correctly bankrolled for the event then the amount of the buy in should not matter.

You will play with a fear if you cannot afford to lose

J

jonfelkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with withawedge if your playing within your bankroll then you should not have anything to fear, if your in your bankroll and still got some fear then maybe moving up to the big games slowly will make it not seem so bad to you.

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reasonable consideration. Guess I should go back to reading about bankroll, so I don't get into games that are too dangerous for me to be playing in.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, maybe i didn't make myself all that clear, Buy-in yes is alittle bit of my concern, but it's not really the big problem, i can afford to lose, and still be somewhat happy (but is anyone really happy about losing,lol).
Don't get me wrong I ain't rich, but I could afford to play in them, acouple of times over.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get me wrong I ain't rich, but I could afford to play in them, acouple of times over.
What do you mean with "a couple of times"?
If you can afford 5 buy-ins then that's not enough. Of course you'll play with scared money if you're outside of what your bankroll allows.

As others have said, there is no such thing as a "big buy-in" if you play within your bankroll limits because it's all relative.
A $200 buy-in is not big if you have a $20,000 bankroll. Just like a $2 buy-in is not big if you have a $200 bankroll.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am more than bankrolled for moving up two levels, but was apprehensive when I moved up only one. Playing there now is not a big thing, but I am going to wait a while before moving up the next step. I suggest going slow.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Related, and so perhaps a tie in. Last night I played great poker and won a 90 seat sng, and made enough to turn around and play what for me would be a big tourney. I could have played a $20 tourney.

I even had the time. What I didn't have at the end of that tourney was the frame of mind I had at the start of it. At the end of any tourney, the aggressive juices are flowing madly, and they have to be else you just wither and die. At the beginning of every tourney caution is paramount.

I made the wise decision (IMO), to not play any more last night.

What this brings to mind for me is that I too have tried the bigger game, and suffer the same thing as naruto, I played scared. And that does not win. I won a seat into a big sat to a 750K game coming up. The super sat is putting me into a game I really have no business playing in. It is a rebuy, where the rebuy is $300.00.

SO how will I approach that game?
I have 2 weeks to consider how. On the one hand the supersat was cheap, I did well, and I can rest on my laurels that I did well, and treat the next step with disdain. I can't do the buy in, or the add-on, so I am at a great disadvantage going in.

I can treat it like it's a freeroll, and take a devil may care attitude.

I can roll-up into a really small fetal position and play so tight it hurts.

I think I will have to consciously avoid playing it too tight. I have a style these days that at least I can recognize, and if I can bring that game I will feel comfortable.

I think it will be a learning experience that allows me to jump the standard br management regimen which would tell me I should be playing $5 tourneys with the occasional foray into the $10 world.

Perhaps the tie in is to find your comfort zone, not only with the buyin, but with your playing style, then learn how to determine if you are mentally 'right' for summoning that game when necessary.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you do a little research on mentally preparing for any events (sports, public speaking, etc.), you will find well documented techniques for obtaining the requisite state of mind conducive to success.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to overcome big buy-in fright?

2 words: Proper bankroll.

It does wonders.