How much should I rely on table stats?

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever a table gets below a certain avg pot size, I leave and get one with a bigger one. I'm constantly on the waitlist for the top few biggest avg pot size. Due to this I'm hopping tables really often.

It's hard to quantify this, but I wonder how much large AvgPS has to do with the skill level or looseness or players. I'm on bodog so I don't have alot of the tools I would normally.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find average pot size can be a difficult stat to rely on - often a couple of big pots will artificially inflate the number and then the players involved will either leave the table or play super-tight in order to hang onto their winnings.

Personally, when I'm playing ring games I'm more interested in working out what the other players are like and how I can exploit them. If I can't find enough weaknesses to exploit then I move. Or at least, I do when I'm thinking straight :p

Anywho, often a high average pot size is a byproduct of having several exploitable players at the table. But sometimes a lower figure where there's a lot of tight players that you can run over is just as good.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, just look for exploitable players. If there's a guy on your right running 50/4/1.7, I don't care what the table stats are, I'm probably going to do fine there.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Average players to the flop is probably a better stat as it shows how loose/tight the play is. Then you have to look at the players individually and decide if they are exploitable. Do you have a calling station at the table, do you have a maniac? Do you know from previous play that you have loose passive player to your left that will call pre then fold if he doesn't hit post-flop.

It is taking advantage of individuals that makes you money, not tables, but a high players to flop percentage generally shows those loose pre-flop players that will play worse hands than you.

G

gcpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Constantly leaving will also not let you get used of how players are playing or how the table as a whole is playing. I rather stay unless the table turns real bad or Im uncomfortable there.