• Total voters
dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This pretty much sums it up for me too. At the stakes I usually play, my win rate is often less than what I'd make at minimum wage. So if it's not fun, I might was well be working at a real job. For home games, we never do tourneys. It's way more fun to play the wild variations, and the rules are always explained. The stuff below is still inconclusive. Let's not forget about Between The Sheets (aka Acey Deucey).

http://www.pokernews.com/poker-games/miscellaneous/variations/
http://www.pokerology.com/poker-school/other-poker-variations/

See, I hate those "wild variation" games. I still play them with Crystal and her family because it's usually just $5 in change that we're playing with. But I also don't call it poker. It's more like gambling when we play it that way, and I play it as such. I'm just a couple of players short of a really good home game (tourney style) that will be HE or maybe a weekly mix of HE and Omaha if enough want to.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say $20, just to keep it friendly.

+1 to this. We have a semi-weekly poker night here with friends, and we play a $10 buy-in. I put $20 for my answer as we used to play for that in a previous game, and it was never stressful, but it was certainly enough to keep us playing for the win.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it fun? Is making money the 'fun' part?

Personally I play to win and have fun while attempting to do so.

I think there might be room for interpretation as far as what is meant by 'fun'. When I say I have fun playing poker, I'm not suggesting that I play whimsically... 'for fun'.. who gives a fk if I win or lose... just call/raise/shove/fold.. cuz it's 'fun'... weeeeeeeee. Um.. no.. not at all. I play poker because it's still fun. For myself, if I were to play to make money, I really don't think it'd be fun anymore. (not suggesting I don't like to win money).

I'd been trying to figure out how to phrase my own attitude, but you put it well. +1

I'll add that poker was, originally, when I started, more adrenaline charged, more exciting -- now the fun is in seeing the crazy things that happen and trying to deal with it. The game is a puzzle, as you try to fit the players, position, cards, EV into their places each hand and see if you can solve the riddle each hand presents. That's what's fun.

@ K_Kahne_Fan ---A fun home game would need, for every person, the potential of winning enough to make it slightly worthwhile monetarily, but not losing so much it hurts. The level needs to be right to make it a fun night with pals, win or lose. Some people are OK with losing $100, some would feel pain and not have fun. Some people don't feel any excitement if they do not have much on the line.

A poll won't do it, unless it's a poll among the very people you want to get together to play. But even more -- it's who is there. Everybody needs to be in the same financial ballpark or willing to play "seriously" (i.e., not shoving every hand and laughing uproariously) for less than they might, and everyone needs to be able to laugh at a beat. There's also the balance between those who think poker is gambling and those who think there's skill.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
voted for 10 uss because I thought it would be a low value and also not to have a lower value in the response options. other values higher lumber and few people have a high power consumption.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
People who play sports play for fun, but have times when they lose that it isn't so fun.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$20 :) is fair enough to lose to my friends and still be in a good mood from Capt. RiverRatBackdoorFlushDrawCallToTheRiverWithAceHighTurnFlushDrawRiverFlushTakesMyMoney.

D

deankn68

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play with my friends we put $10 in the pot for each game. That is our limit. As far as on-line goes, I will only play the bigger stakes games if I win some good money. I do not deposit (safer for me that way) The thing I hate the most is when people forget that this is just a game. Yes, there are a few that make a living out of playing poker but for most of us it is a game. Enjoy it. Mind you, I have screamed and yelled at my computer a number of times but all in all, I play oker because it is fun.