How Many Tables Can You Play At Onces?

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know, I find any more than 4 tables too difficult to manage. Seems I'm rushing about trying to keep up with the action and usually make some poor plays. Ideally I play 2 tables at once, and use time between hands to surf the web or do work on the computer. If all I'm doing is playing, I feel unproductive.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i play less than like 10 tables i get bored out of my skull

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9 is the most I can handle. Ideally I'll only be playing 4 at one time.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
16 stacked. It's actually pretty amazing how often I'm just sitting there waiting for something to happen. Less than 12 I get bored and start playing too many hands.
Exactly the same but i only 16 table 2NL, above that I play 6 at 5/10/25NL and try to concentrate but use HEM aswell. The few times I have a go at 50 or 100NL I play 1 table max and really try and take notice and lots of notes

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can do 12 now but I've tried to do more, and God only knows......Yet I'm comfortable with 9 any less and I get bored, 12 is the max for the comfort zone though

FatCatBamboo

FatCatBamboo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I stick to single tabling I'm able to get reads on my opponents as you are and exploit them, but after awhile it becomes monotonous knowing I'm putting all this time and energy into only winning a few cents/dollars at a time. Whenever a bad beat occurs it's a lot more stressful and I'm more prone to start spewing chips into the pot chasing my losses. Also, even when you sense weakness in you're opponent and make a great bluff, these guys don't like to fold their TPTK because they've waited so long for it and they justify calling by saying "it's only $1" he's gotta be bluffing. It's pointless and it tilts me. Multi tabling solves this problem because I don't feel the need to bluff anymore.

I understand where you are coming from but for my purposes I think playing 1 table at a time will prep me better for the live experience where I will need to learn to center myself after a bad beat and learn not to chase my losses, etc... I want to drive up to Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods (located in Eastern Connecticut) in a few weeks and am preparing my game by playing online.

Now that I think about it. I think playing 1 table at a time trains your mind better for the live experience. I know some of you are very profitable at playing more games than one at a time and may even be great live players but I am not there yet and want to stick to 1 table at a time no matter how painstakingly boring it can be.

gobthemagician

gobthemagician

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I myself am pretty new to poker so I try to limit my tourny and sng play to 2 or 3 tables. My friend who got me into online poker, he's insane. I saw him play 4 turbo/rush tables at once, and he made a profit in that sitting at least. It was insane. I asked him if he was even having fun playing this way, because it didn't seem like fun for me, but he said he does, so I guess thats all that counts.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
four is my max...... after that i;m one one lost turkey.
take care

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing so many tables you see a lot of hands. Some of the beats you see are infuriating, but it seems with so many tables you don't really have time to get upset, you just need to focus on winning the other games. Multitabling never seems to put me on tilt, anyone else feel that way?

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Am I in the minority here? Does anyone play just one table at a time to get a solid read on the rest of the players?

I think there are many, many people who play only one table at a time--they just aren't posting here. :)

On a day to day basis I play 2 tourney tables at a time now because that's my current comfort level. The only exception is when I play in the League games (Cardschat Winter League 2011 Sign-up Thread) because they are so challenging.

When I'm playing cash tables I sometimes go up to 4, but that's as high as my concentration allows.

R

RdotJdot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play cash games I play 4 at a time. I think that's perfect amount. U get to see enough hands so ur not bored and ur able to see what's going on and what other players are doing. Lately I haven't been using hud cuz I am working on my reading ablities. if I was using one I still would stick to 4 cash games at once but sngs and tourneys I prolly would play more. When I play the cc league games I only play that and focus on the one table. I like to take em seriously plus I figure that will help me when I start playing more live games too.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now that I think about it. I think playing 1 table at a time trains your mind better for the live experience.

When I play the cc league games I only play that and focus on the one table. I like to take em seriously plus I figure that will help me when I start playing more live games too.

I, too, have found that playing one table (especially the League games) helps hone my live tourney play in terms of focussing on stack sizes, betting patterns, range and position. These aspects are often lost in all the distractions that come with live play.

In contrast, playing live does not seem to enhance online play, at least in my experience.

GrimlyGrim

GrimlyGrim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
12 tables max. I like to play 4-9 depending on how I feel that day generally. Now that I think about it; it is kind of weird how robotic my play feels. I do pick up a lot of information on how people play still. I'm just not anticipating their mistakes as much as people who play less tables.

FatCatBamboo

FatCatBamboo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I, too, have found that playing one table (especially the League games) helps hone my live tourney play in terms of focussing on stack sizes, betting patterns, range and position. These aspects are often lost in all the distractions that come with live play.

In contrast, playing live does not seem to enhance online play, at least in my experience.

Others agree playing online enhances live play? I realize there are tells and body language I will need to control when I do make the switch to live play but I am interested to hear other opinions.

T

teddykgb47

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the poker room. On some of them the action is way quicker than on others.

In general though, I can usually handle 10 tables on most rooms (and 14 on some), without getting any unwanted sit outs.