Chips
to me 6+ is too many, i m an old man lol

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
basically depends on whether you have enough experience and discipline to automate decisions. If you mass-table a lot of your decisions are going to be robotic, so you need to know what to do in a ton of different spots.

Mass-tabling works best when you play 9max or 10max or whatever, because you can just run 12/9 preflop or whatever and never see flops with non-premiums. Then it's basically up to you (and table tendencies) whether you wanna play straightforward or more aggro, because when your preflop range is very strong you will nearly always flop something with sufficient equity to semibluff (note: in a tight table that isn't adjusting to high cbet tendencies, 2 overs in a dry flop are more than good enough to cbet).

Personally I can't play more than 2 tables of absolutely anything (absolute tops 3), so I flatly refuse to ever play any game slower than 6max; and in general I much prefer to play 3-handed or 4-handed.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done up to 15 or 16 which I haven't attempted since. Anything over 10 imo is just push/fold madness. I can effectively play up to 6 w/o no problem.

P

pokerstud777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also depend on if u play MTT or cash

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ill let myself get up to about 6 tables at once, but i agree with you saying you cant focus, im the same way! At one point, i didnt have a problem with playing 8-10 rings at once wherein i was a "reg" and i had a few "regs" at my table all around. The few unknowns were almost irrelevant, and played fairly ABC vs them. Nowadays i like to keep myself to a max of 4 tables. This allows me to tile my tables and still keep an eye out on things when flops and showdowns are seen

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played 6, and it gets harder to make proper decisions the more tables you make. Mistakes happen and they can be costly. Using something like HEM or PT4 is absolutely essential for this.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that by focusing on one table you can really get a feel for the players, but if you multi table chances of you making a mistake are less because you wont be over thinking hands and will be too busy managing all your tables, there are advantages and disadvantages to both

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on every person.. For Nanonoko isnt problem to play 24 tables :D For me? I feel good at 4 tables, I play also 6 tables sometimes, its my maximum. I also have just one small monitor so its not even possible to play more tables...:)

_FISHFEET81_

_FISHFEET81_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tables

Good topic, I find myself maxing out at 8 tables or so when I'm online Its tough for me anything over that Keeping track and having all my tables popping up and not knowing right away what tourney I'm in. that Raymond guy I believe is insane that guy is doing like 40 tables hahaha its crazy. But it boils down to what you're comfortable with and how you can manage the tables. It can be very overwhelming I believe and hard to get used to. Everyone is different but you have to find a perfect place for yourself and how well you succeed at the multi tables

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It just takes practice. I've played as many as 16, although my sweet spot is probably 8. When I first started, I couldn't fathom playing 2 at once. But you just work at it, and it comes easier and easier. I'm to the point now if I play only one table (unless it's a league game with a lot of chat interactivity going on) I want to blow my brains out.

As was said, some people just process information faster than others. Everybody has a different limit to what their comfortable with, but likewise almost everybody can learn to play more than they currently do if they just put in the effort to practice. Comfort comes with experience.

As to the robotic play, yes you do (especially at first) need to seriously tighten up and play ABC, but over time you learn that you can actually keep players straight between tables and make some situation-dependent decisions. It's not 100% robotic. Especially with a HUD, which is almost mandatory for effectively playing more than about 4 tables -- at least for us mere mortals. The Shaun Deebs and Nanonokos might play 20+ tables without a HUD, but the rest of us really have no hope of that.

If you're not a winning player already, don't add tables until you are. You're just going to accelerate your losses. When you're regularly winning at a given stake, you can consider either moving up or adding tables. Which one is best depends on you and your BR. Adding tables will lower your bb/100 winrate because you play tighter, but will increase your hourly rate if you remain a winning player. Volume is where the profit from multi-tabling comes from, especially if you're on a good RB or VIP program. A good RB plan can make a break-even or even slightly losing player an overall winner if they can play a lot of tables/volume. The key is to drop tables and/or stakes if you start losing consistently.

NateVest

NateVest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been trying to play one table recently. I have ran 12 tables at a time, but it seems when you are going that far, at least for me, it is no longer any fun. There are a lot of downsides to playing multiple tables at once, but I think if you are that profitable to be playing that volume, you should simply move up in stakes.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moving up in stakes is only an option if your BR supports it. Adding tables is not something that directly affects BRM (although it's advisable to have a little extra padding until you get your feet under you). And again, the volume from playing multiple tables at a lower stake can often result in greater profit than single tabling a higher stake.

There are numerous benefits to multi-tabling, if there weren't then almost all the pro/winning online players wouldn't be doing it to at least some degree. The problem people usually run into is trying too many too soon.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing freerolls then it doesn't matter how many tables you are playing but when playing for real money then need your full concentration and probably id say 3 max

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only can play 4 tables and I lost my stack very quickly.
I prefer to play 2 tables at the same time and focus on the another players !!

L

luckyhearts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One is too many, when u losing like me.

INGAJ

INGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can play max 6 tables. if i play with 8/9 i cant concentrate and im making moves without thinking

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play at 5-6 tables at a time but if I play in a big tournament and I have a big stack and I feel that I play good I reduce the number of tables to 2 or 3 , even 1 if I'm deep in the tourney.

G

gjpa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 tables is the best way for dont losing your concentration and being able to remember how the others ones are playing, I think playing more of 4 tables is insane, at least for me :p. I do usually prefer play 2 tables, relaxed, concentred and enjoying the game

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think this depends on you.....but the more tables can lower your winrate...but people 24 table and profit preety descent....I prefer 6 or 4......but that's only because I have laptop

G

gjpa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, I play in laptop too, I guess I could try 6 tables in a big monitor because you can visualize better the tables

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
too many variables to say, depends on person, depends on type of game, depends on where you are in tourneys, depends on opponents, depends on bankroll, depends on etc etc etc

W

willbec1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about hourly. Experiment with different amounts until you find what maximizes your $/hr.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once opened 12 tables when Stars was near to dealing the 100 Billion hand. People play fast on Stars and I was going insane clicking everywhere. Beep Beep Beep...