How many hands before you consider his/her stats reliable

G

gkh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For PT3 or other trackers, how many hands vs the villain before you consider using the tracker data stats to base your decisions?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The numbers become relevant at different rates, simply because the sample size gets larger at different rates.

For example, preflop you get data each hand. Showdown you only get data from hands that saw the flop and hands that went all the way to showdown.

I don't think you avoid using data that you have, just keep in mind that after 18 hands the preflop is only starting to become accurate, but if your opponent is already 35/30 you can start to guess that he's in the loose-aggressive end. If he's 35/30 after 100 hands then it's more reliable, but even after 100 hands the river bet frequency probably only has a few samples.

I'll use whatever data the HUD gives me; how much I rely on it depends on the sample size. I don't rely on a fixed threshold for "reliability". I think PT used to default to not showing any stats until there were 40 hands in history or something.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stuff like VP,PFR,cbet ect will come relavent pretty quik.
After 100hands i see a villain that us 25/19 i dont expect that to change drasticly but stuff like 3bet%,river AF,WTSD,WASD ect will really take up thousands of hands to be reliable cause short term varience can have a major impact on thouse stats.

Basicly all the stats u have are usable but u need to take them ALL with a grain of salt since unless villain is a reg u have 5k hands on our something there not absolutes(besides villains u have large sample on are usualy good players and good players tend to improve and change there play).

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it kinda depends on the stats like people mentioned above ^^

but you can figure out if someones a spewtard pretty quickly haha

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can figure out how someone will play in a given situation after you see that situation 40 times. This is just an estimate; after 40 hands you can't really figure out an opponents VP$IP, for example. But for determining 3-bet%, postflop aggression, steal%, 40 plays should be pretty accurate. Unfortunately you kind of have to guess how many times you've seen a villain in that particular situation.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands