How to maintain your emotions when not running well?

V

vroomsoft

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guys deal with tilt, or just feeling like crap when you're losing a lot on the day? Any tips that have worked well for you?

Today was a tough day at the tables, mostly felt like I was getting drawn out on, or playing poorly in spots where I shouldn't have stayed in.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How do you guys deal with tilt, or just feeling like crap when you're losing a lot on the day? Any tips that have worked well for you?

Today was a tough day at the tables, mostly felt like I was getting drawn out on, or playing poorly in spots where I shouldn't have stayed in.
We all have such days. Personally, my bankroll management saves me on such days. I never lose much. If I lose, it is exactly as much as I can afford to lose. Bankroll management is a basis that allows me to easily control my emotions and my expenses :)

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My way of facing a bad day and continuing to do what I planned, knowing that there will be bad times and good times. You have to be resilient, learn from defeats, but not create a dilemma for them. You have to be emotionally prepared to lose, because it happens a lot.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you running well you need to keep focus and don't play trash hands because that's how you lose at the end

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I keep having to remind myself that I’m playing small stakes and I’m not trying to make a fortune (yet!).

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Good question. It's very hard to stay cool all tournament long. But... the best advice is to not invest in rebuys and add-ons in freerolls. Just don't invest. And when you lose, you have to say to yourself: "Dude, relax, you didn't lose anything! Go wash your face with cold water and keep playing in another tournament!" ;)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The main way to deal with tilt is to exit the game in time and take a break. Tilt is a state that any player, even the most experienced, can find himself in. But each of us has a different predisposition to losing control of ourselves.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tell myself that soon everything will change for the better.

Mantinhoo

Mantinhoo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LT
Chips
When I have a bad days, sport help me a lot. Running, basketball or riding with bike. Wind refresh my brain.

c.heck

c.heck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
NO
Chips

If you're losing so much that you feel like crap, I think you hav a gambling problem. Try to log out for a couple of weeks.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Everyone is different but for me, going for a walk in the woods and taking a break from the game does the best job.

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always have one answer for a day like this: “I can do it, I can do it”

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you have a tilt just hold on friend and try to control your emotions and not get depressed even more because if this happens you will lose more and more hands and on this day if you have already lost the tournament and are very angry it's best to take a couple of hours from playing poker and after the rest you can play when your emotions go away I'm best going outside or playing sports in this state

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all have those bad days when we lose a lot of money. But what you should know how to control is your bank so you don't lose all your money on those bad days. Control yourself, turn off the PC and go out and be a sport that will help you.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I think only e patient and use your skills, if that doesn’t improve take a break and comeback.

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I can tell when I'm having an emotional day, and I stop playing poker immediately.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Study (finding the mistakes), practice (fixing the mistakes), study, practice (a lot)... and so on...
it is familiar to me... :)

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I take a break for a day or two

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to take a break, stop for a few hours, give my mind a break.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to take a break and don't come back to play when you see you're on tilt. Sometimes it's difficult to do that if you have tilt problems, but on the next day you will feel like a winner for not giving your money for free to another players.

J

Jeanjoseph

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BS
Chips
We all have such days. Personally, my bankroll management saves me on such days. I never lose much. If I lose, it is exactly as much as I can afford to lose. Bankroll management is a basis that allows me to easily control my emotions and my expenses :)
What principles do you use to manage your bankroll?

J

Jeanjoseph

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BS
Chips
I can tell when I'm having an emotional day, and I stop playing poker immediately.
I realize that while we may think we are ready to play, many factors affect our mental prowess: hunger, fatigue, alcohol or drugs, stress from any number of things, relationship issues... I could continue.

I always try to ensure I'm not checking off any of these boxes but sometimes I still let my better judgment go.

Bottom line - it's difficult and there is no singular response... Just start by stopping for a while and meditating - Freeing your mind and calming your breathing

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Lately it's hard to control my emotions, but I manage to get out of the game and wait for a day to pass at least to try again!