How Long Does It Take To Get Good Enough To Make A Living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ahhh...to be 25 years younger, and footloose and fancy free.
Nice thread.

D

Devourx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YOu have to start off with a large bank roll to begin with and then you have to play a lot of poker... 40+ hrs a week ... all this assumes that you have a lot of poker skill to begin to with

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also almost all 'pro's' cashgame for a living, aint much players making 'steady' money with sngs and mtt's.

valientone

valientone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really thats a hard question to answer... the best thing i could say is until your good enough to manage and manipulate your bankroll... its tougher than it looks my friend...

allndave

allndave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have allways heard that the best way to make a small fortune playing poker ..............is to start with a large fortune.

good luck to ya

B

brett987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it takes a long time you need to be the top and even the top wsop players lose money online its almost impossible to make a living online

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I know, there are no full-time pros who are regular posters here (although there are some who dip in from time to time).

There are several of us regulars who are in the same position as BelgoSuisse - we could easily achieve the modest level of earnings described in the OP if we were to play full-time, but we have other careers and prefer to keep poker as a sideline.

In my case, it took a couple of years to get there. Some have done it more quickly, but note carefully what Belgo said, because he was absolutely right. I could never make a living as (say) a singer, because I do not have the talent for it. In the same way, most people will never be able to make a living at poker.

dantheman91

dantheman91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play alot, read alot, analyze alot, and get a program like PokerTracker... And, don't try to go up in the stakes too fast. Those are some lessons others have told me.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, consider this: Huge numbers of people enjoy a round of golf without aspiring to beat Tiger Woods. Many players enjoy a game of tennis without any thought of challenging Roger Federer.

Don`t put yourself under that pressure. Enjoy the game. Practice. Try to improve. Have fun and, if one day you get to be good at it, that`s a bonus. :)

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people in this forum play for fun (yeah you heard me:p) and the chance of a nice score in a touney or a nice month grinding. Poker gets hard fast if its your only source of income, the swings are harder to deal with, losing money is a bigger deal. Half the pros signed up for sites are down money and they have sponserships and rakeback deals. Im not saying it cannot be done but for the majority it will not happen.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, consider this: Huge numbers of people enjoy a round of golf without aspiring to beat Tiger Woods. Many players enjoy a game of tennis without any thought of challenging Roger Federer.

Don`t put yourself under that pressure. Enjoy the game. Practice. Try to improve. Have fun and, if one day you get to be good at it, that`s a bonus. :)

Bingo!

What he said.

:congrats:

T

TheRevolution

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ignore the naysayers

Of course it depends on how fast you learn and how quickly you are able to develop the sustained discipline and will power that will allow you to play well. Also, it helps if you are reasonably intelligent and can begin to conceptualize the real dynamics and purpose behind each move and not just react mechanically. However, anybody that is intensely determined to win at poker can develop the skills necessary to crush with fierce will and obsession. You let it consume you, you put your head down focus like a surgeon going into an operating room every time you play. Then eventually you will look around at your baller house, your sick car, your model/golddigger girlfriend and you will be happy. Nothing beats going out and taking what you want, it's how vikings must have felt back in the day.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thread is 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.