How to emotionally manage periods of bad run

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the line of hours of play it is not uncommon for me to lose my cool when the stress becomes too big and especially during bad run.

how do you keep calm and manage all this stress?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally have just balled it up and pushed it deeply back in my mind and when it happens just do it again. Now I just walk around like a zombie watching my life through the glass window..Im like what Mike Matusow says" it doesn't matter you don't know how bad I run nobody knows but me!" idk the awnser to your question because it hurts getting kicked in the balls you just gotta get out there and be ready to get kicked again

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes its good to walk away for a few days. lets you decompress from the funk. that is how i do it.

B

blessmeavraam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doing some other tasks like watching movie

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am convinced that emotions play a very important role.
If I feel that I can not control my emotions, I just stop playing. It is better to get up and go for a walk, relax. It always helps me.
Good luck.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I start to run bad and it continues, I take a break for a few days. Those bad beats seem to continue and there is nothing you ca.n do turn it around right away.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the line of hours of play it is not uncommon for me to lose my cool when the stress becomes too big and especially during bad run.

By keeping the following in mind:

-I'm playing for fun. My life isn't dependent on me winning/profiting/etc
-Downswings happen to everyone, even the pros. And they do this for a living.
-I'm following BRM and I can always move down in stakes if I need. The money lost isn't going to affect me negatively.
-I'm confident enough in my game to know that I can come back from a downswing.

Last edited:
monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello)
I watch cartoons and the mood is getting better)))
:rock:

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop playing distracting yourself with other things, going to study, or keep control of your emotions and continue sitting there playing as if it were your job

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DOWNSWING

Evil game monmentos are horrible we lose a bit of confidence

But I learned how to have phases of hitting all the moves is the stage that went wrong all or much then with time I understand that this happens to everyone and you should not change radically style because of it, but always do small adjustments in the game to keep improving

:jd4:mateuspoker

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really is not easy to administer bad run. But it is necessary, not to destroy your BR. Maybe you'd better finish the straight of that day when that happens.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I, myself, focus on something ( I hope I am using the correct analogy) arbitrary to the game and travel my path from that point on. It helps me ward off the demons and not go down the proverbial rabbit hole. An example of what I am talking about might be typing a reply on this website while playing a freeroll on ACR. I hope I have helped at least one person out, if not more, and hopefully have not made anybody worse. Good luck everybody!!!!

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its only a game, sometime you won, sometines not, the key is to not play when you lose all the time.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I generally take a couple days off. But more importantly I remind myself that everybody goes through this (Variance) and if I continue to play I'm going to tilt. I don't know about anyone one else but I refuse to keep replenishing my bankroll because I'm not able to have self control. Worry not, you will be good in a couple of days crushing some poor guy AA with your 22. FYI I'm going through a 4 day downswing. In the meantime I have been hitting the free rolls.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The important thing is to identify that you have lost your patience and give yourself time, use this time with something that makes you relax and talk about bad moves is also a way to hone your skills. Playing letting the feeling speak for sure will make the wrong decisions.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I am clear that the control of emotions is fundamental when playing poker ... however when you enter a bad patch ... as a human being you start to stress and make bad decisions ... it is there when the best is to stop playing take a break ... to reassure you

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get on a site and play with play money helps sometimes

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mental game of poker is the hardest part of the game so you just have to find your way after a bad run, i personally stop playing for a couple of hours or a day, sometimes taking a break can help a lot.

R

rainver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Than the question is how long was your longest dawnswing? 2 days? Can it longs for a week, month??

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is such a hard way of poker, millions of lost nerve cells, and there is nothing you can do about it, do not take my advice to heart, I understand that it is not easy. But in time you will be able to achieve it.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Poker - endurance test. Our emotions can completely deprive us of reason during the tournament! :banghead: :stickymanTo prevent this from happening, you need to train your nervous system, for example, as athletes and diplomats ... Being in a sober mind after stress will help you and physical exercises in the fresh air! :five: :bath::fight:

cldvdldlm

cldvdldlm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well is true we wanna won, is just a game and u need study for get more benefits, be patient and good luck [emoji256][emoji1360]

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker - endurance test. Our emotions can completely deprive us of reason during the tournament! :banghead: :stickymanTo prevent this from happening, you need to train your nervous system, for example, as athletes and diplomats ... Being in a sober mind after stress will help you and physical exercises in the fresh air! :five: :bath::fight:

yes it is true that the plupard of pro players do a lot of physical exercise and even yoga. But as I'm kind of lazy I do not think I have the courage to return to the sport at the moment.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Than the question is how long was your longest dawnswing? 2 days? Can it longs for a week, month??

the duration is not what worries me but how to keep my calm to try to always play at my best level.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whenever im on a bad run i make sure to focus on the basics and tighten my play up and make sure i make the best choices possible