How do you turn off the poker part of your brain to sleep!

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually for me, watching tv does it better, after a night of poker all you have to do is watch some tv & i get totally distracted away from poker, it does help

T

thepokerdoctor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I have just begun playing poker again, there are very few times I feel I can add my "two cents", and help a fellow member out. However, this is my specialty. Not only have I had problems with this, but I've also helped out a lot of athletes that have had this very same problem. I'll post my reply later tonight or tomorrow. I apologize. I was just perusing the board before I left my office for the night so I do not have time to do it now.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's what I do. Watch poker on TV for a little while, then close my eyes and listen until I fall asleep. Watching them somehow puts my hands into perspective so I can stop thinking about them.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the poker part of my brain doesn't turn off when I sleep. I'll frequently dream about poker.

God knows how many times I've won the sunday million.

T

thepokerdoctor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ll try to answer this with as little words as possible. I’ll forewarn you though. It will include a little anatomy/physiology though. Like someone stated above, this happens quite often, especially with hobbies. Where there is passion, there will also be stress. I’ve worked with numerous athletes who have actually made themselves sick, to the point of vomiting, over mistakes made during games. They couldn’t sleep. They couldn’t eat. It ruined any fun they once had in the sport.

More than likely, your lack of sleep is directly related to the stress of poker. Whenever we are stressed, no matter if it is mental or physical stress, our body response is fight-or-flight. Acutely, we’ll release hormones, mainly noradrenaline and adrenaline to help stimulate our body. I’m sure we’ve all experienced this during a big hand. Your heart rate will increase, blood pressure rise, you’ll get a little anxious, and your stomach will turn. Blood is diverted to your brain, heart, and muscles. Basically, your body is getting you ready for an intense situation. This doesn’t last long though, only during intense situations, not likely what’s causing you to not sleep at night. Over the long-term though, your body relies on another stress hormone called cortisol. It basically does the same thing as adrenaline, but not to the same degree. It also helps control your sleep-wake cycle. During normal times, cortisol release actually follows a daily rhythm, the majority being released in the morning and the least at night. Thus, it’s thought to promote wakefulness. However, during times of chronic stress, your cortisol level will remain elevated. Thus we have the cause of your insomnia. Elevated cortisol levels caused by chronic stress from worrying over your poker games.

It happens all the time though. When I wrote my article for Bluff magazine, I slept like crap for a week worrying about what to write. I’ve seen athletes time and time again suffer from stress. In severe cases, it’s actually broken down their bodies leading to numerous physical injuries. What’s particular concerning to poker players is the effect chronic elevated cortisol levels have on the brain. Studies have shown that elevated cortisol levels can actually harm the brain leading to impaired mental functioning. Prednisone, a prescription medication similar to cortisol that’s used to control inflammation, causes mania and cognitive impairment when dosed too high. It’s actually quite frequently in elderly patients. So not only is it making you sleep like crap, but it’s also impairing your mental functioning. Not good if you want a career in poker.

The easiest way to fix this is visualization. Instead of worrying about your past performance, visualize what happened, card by card, hand by hand. Don’t think of solutions. Don’t think of what-ifs. Don’t think of anything except replaying the entire past performance. Then try to fall asleep. I guarantee the next morning you’ll have solutions to your answers. Until you realize that worry does not fix anything, you will always struggle with your sleep. Visualization is key. The top athletes in the world use it. If that doesn’t work, relax. Do whatever relaxes. Soaking in a candle-lit luke warm bath with incense does it every time. There are some good tea products out there that also promote relaxation, along with certain types of incense.

As far as supplements go, magnesium citrate or glycinate is excellent for promoting restful sleep along with relaxation. Also, because the majority of Americans are deficient in magnesium, it’ll also help you in various other ways. L-Theanine is also excellent. There’s actually been a couple studies released that showed when l-theanine is taken with caffeine it’s not only superior to caffeine alone with regards to cognitive performance, but it also prevents some of the negative side effects from caffeine. Kava kava is another one. You just need to make sure you are getting a legitimate brand. Relora is also another herbal that has been shown to not only caused relaxation, but also decrease cortisol levels. For your particular case, Relora and magnesium should do the trick. However, they should only be tried after you’ve exhausted all non-pharmacological methods such as meditation, visualization, and other relaxing techniques.

There’s my two cents. It was a little more wordy than I thought. I apologize.

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well for petes sake if you're already dreaming of poker, surely don't watch it b 4 you go to sleep

R

rivertapped

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just thank your lucky stars that the guys with AJ try to give you their chips. Nod off to dreamland with the knowledge that you'll end up well off in the long run.

A

AJRiale

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i too have trouble sleeping after a noght of poker but i watch some tv or listen to some music to get my mind of poker so i can have i good nights sleep, or I use some out side(some consider it illegal) assitance(wink wink).:)

H

hornellfred

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I first had with this problem when I played the horses everyday, every bet gets played out over and over, and I still lost. I started playing less and of course the sleeping problem went away. Lately I have been playing a lot of poker but not with the rent money so to speak. I have no trouble sleeping but I do dream about winning. This of course is a symptom of compulsive gambling and I know the fun of internet poker will go away if I push the stakes up. As long as it is a game to you and not life and death then over time the sleeping problem should dissapate. If not well addiction is something to consider.

P

PapaQuon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think of all the beats I have put on people and it helps me fall asleep and dream good dreams

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I win I go to bed proud and fall asleep quick but if I lose I beat myself up over how stupid I was and can't fall right asleep . nothing major though but the hands do run over and over and over .

doc gave some good advice but I need a doctor that can put some stitches in the holes in my game , then I'll sleep like a baby :)

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go to your local drugstores vitamin section or askthe drugist where the melatonin is. Natural holistic compound that will help you sleep. Cheaper than analysis and you can use it even when your not thinking of poker. This stuff works!!!! No hangovers or anything and you wake up in your normal sleep patterns..If you got normal sleep patterns. What's normal? What's the speed of dark?

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, my girlfriend just beats me till I'm too tired to stay awake! She's got a sister!!!

badassmoney

badassmoney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
DREAMS OF POKER

LOL........ I FIND MYSELF DREAMING OF POKER. I CAUGHT MYSELF TAPPING MY PILLOW IN MY SLEEP, THINKING IT WAS MY SCREEN TO CALL. :eek: OR EVER CAUGHT YOURSELF ALMOST ASLEEP AND GLANCE AT THE CLOCK ON NIGHT STAND THINKING IT WAS THE CARDS?

:sleep: :as4: :ac4: WE MAY BE PLAYING TO MUCH........][, (()) ][,

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't turn off the poker part of my brain; I turn off the conscious part of my brain. That way, while I'm sleeping, my poker brain makes in-depth calculations and analysis of all the hands I've played during the night, and I wake up a much smarter and better poker player. It's like scheduling a virus scan or defragmentation at midnight on your computer.

Yes, I'm the next step in human evolution.

Yes, autographs are available on request and for a nominal fee.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you turn the poker part of your brain off?

YOU DON'T! Get used to it :)

golan

golan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man it is so weird. Last year i kept having this dream that I was playin poker with the DaliLama it was incredibly vivid. At the time I was living in a Cabin way out in the middle of the woods in KY. I was alone all week because my Lady worked out of town. I had been doing alot of reading on diffrent belief systems and playing alot of poker. I was very sick and had alot of time on my hands. The dreams eventually stopped only after the book reading stopped. The poker never stopped LOL
good post
Peace

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd also recommend a little Green Buddha

U

Ummagumma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same trouble...I go through ever big hand i played that day and try to think of ways to win more/loose less. Its frustrating because hours will go by and ill still be awake. Usually I end up turning on the TV and try to distract myself that way...that usually ends up working.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice would be to take a sabatical from poker.. onlinee and live. Not healthy to be so tired all the time. Eventually ur brain will shut down completely when it comes to poker

T

thepokerdoctor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
F Paulsson’s post may have been said in a slightly joking manner, however, there’s been numerous clinical studies that have supported that theory. Mind you, they didn’t test poker strategy, but they did test complex critical thinking. The unconscious mind is so much more powerful than the conscious mind. You would be surprised by what some of the top neurologists and psychologists have said about it.

Melatonin is actually a good sleep aid. However, in your particular case, I don’t think it’s going to help much. The theory behind melatonin is that it’s a hormone released by the pineal gland at night. It plays a role in your circadian rhythm. It’s extremely useful for people who have shift work or who travel a lot due to the loss in normal sleeping patterns/circadian rhythm. I think your sleep problems primarily have to do with stress. Thus, it’s primarily benefit will not help you much. You need to relax and distress.

If anything, take a benadryl. When I’m too wired to go to bed, I take 50mg of Benadryl, and it knocks me out. There is a little hangover effect, but after an hour, it’s gone. Because I don’t drink alcohol and have never used any other CNS depressants, I consider myself sensitive to its effects. There have been some concerns about antihistamines and cognition, but nothing solid yet. I only use it may be once a month.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chocolate milk. Drink this before you go to bed. See how good it works.

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's sleep?

I think a good portion of your fellow poker players feel your pain.Right now as I'm typing this post I haven't slept in well over twenty-four hours.I play a tourney,get knocked out and the next thing you know right back in another one.Consider yourself lucky,you actually turned of the computer and laid down.

M

MFaith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too find myself reviewing my poker play at night; sometimes it's better to take a day or two off from playing. Like any game you have to spend time studying too, so looking at the forums such as CC, reading poker books, etc. may be a good alternative to lowering the "rush" you get from playing.

O

OnTilt902

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is too funny. There have been times when I've worked soo much that I came home and dreamt about working. It was like working a double shift, but only getting paid for one. I think that anytime you do something that consumes your entire day or days, it begins to take over your brain. Try playing less poker. (Easier said than done...I know)