How do you stop yourself from playing too much?

timmy6699

timmy6699

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hey

ive been away 4 awhile and now just gettin back in to the poker scene and hopen to play alil more then i did we have gottin our forum back up and running but all in time i guess well hope to see u at the final table have a good guys

N

Netthug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All you need is the discipline, and if you've played enough sit n go's or hands of cash just get up. Also do that if you start playing bad and making bad calls etc.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
A good way to go about this is when you feel like you're not playing your best one day, running insanely bad, or not focused, just quit and don't play the rest of the day. This way you'll barely play when you're not into it, but when you're playing your best, focused and running hot you'll put in more hours, and you'll have limited your play and won more.

A

annie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am struggling with the same question. I am thinking of limiting the number of days a week I play, as well as the amount of time I play per setting. I want to do other things. Somehow it feels more obsessive to play online. When I play live 4-nights a week, I go home when I bust unless there is a cash game after. On the internet, I just enter another tourney. Thanks to all the great advice.

Y

yankeenut23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I hear ya..Im a stay at home mom and find myself playing way to much poker online. Lately I set limits on how long I am willing to play and It has worked. Good luck to you!;)

P

PDMike425

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
graduate from college so you can play poker all day and night for the rest of your life... (that's what i did) make sure you have a job to support your habit. i'd say play to have fun and once you get frustrated (if you do) just stop.

Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same here, I am glad to see i am not the only one with this problem :)
I tried to limit myself for a number of hours to play, or till i win or lose predefined number of $, but usually i find myself keep playing and forget about my limits, usually i stop when i am getting frustrated from the game or life calls me.

D

diamondbaby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep yourself busy doing other things if you feel playing poker is taking over your life limit yourself and and be consistant, not worth losing your money just playing poker!!!!!

S

sd great 1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
schedule some sort of plans, (meeting somebody, household task, whatever, ) at a certain point so if forces you to stop, stick to it!

discipline!

Z

zhutzler

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did the same thing just started playing again. Now every free minute I get Im playing but thats ok I probably just take a break like I did before.

wobb803

wobb803

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's poker baby, you can never play this game too much......I personally play around 12 to 14 hours every day.

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play wen u feel u can play your best game,,,ie wen u are not tierd,,dont wanna play but do,,feel ill,or have had a few to many kegs,,,,stik to this method and wen u feel uve had enuff poker.just stop

Wow, nice shorthand!!

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop myself by utilising Self Exclusion. Unfortunetely I use it when I go on tilt...now I can't play until Jan 29...

D

David Pisch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really hard to stop yourself from playing to much, but I think there are two ways: 1. You stop making deposits.
2. You learn to control your necassary of playing poker.
Whereas I think the second way is definitly the better way!