How do you know you're addicted to poker?

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Being concerned about gambling, how to plan activities with constant gambling, and how to get more money to gamble. Need to bet increasing amounts of money to feel the same emotion. Trying to control, correct or abandon the bets and being unable to do so

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is very easy to understand that you are addicted to poker. You're addicted if you can't help but play poker when you decide not to.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, maybe when you feel that you need to play every moment and if you don’t play feel terrible, and that situation affect your life.
For that you need to schedule your strategies to become a good player.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am addict
Am I addicted, play for hours nerly every day?
ed not only do I play for hours every day but I also end up dreaming about the game. I still lose on the river. Dang even in my sleep I get the bad beat. lol

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's very easy to test addiction if you have family and friends and they tell you we'll go for a walk or go somewhere, but because of poker you don't go anywhere with them and choose poker, then this is already an addiction you should live a life and not poker and choose poker in your free time from your family and work

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
when you are playing instead of doing important things such as spending time with your family , or taking care of you and your needs ....

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When it comes to addiction, it's not how much you do...

It's how it impacts your life, whether or not you can stop and if you have control of it or it has control of you.

If something is impacting your life negatively or you're not doing or taking care of things you should because of it, then it could be an addiction.

However if you have things in balance, and other areas of your life or relationships aren't being negatively affected, then it probably isn't.

This is the case with anything, not just poker. People get addicted to all sorts..!

All sorts

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
From your behaviour. You play from dawn till dusk and think about nothing else. Cancel family, friends and late for commitments.
I wouldn't necessarily say you're spending lots of money on poker, because if you're a good player, you will know your monetary limits.
It's more about how you spend your days and where you constantly focus.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
it´s never an addiction if u can make profit from the game, different story if u lose money playing.
It's more about your lifestyle I think, than whether you lose or not.
You could be playing freerolls or 10 cent poker everyday and lose 50% of them. As the others have said, if you don't have time to do the basic things; eat, look after yourself etc....because of playing poker all the time, then you're an addict.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not an addiction yet. This is when you'll start losing a lot of money in poker and not stop. That is, you will lose control over your actions and will try to recover the lost money. That's when you can sound the alarm.

N

NathanVanRiper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yes, you are addicted to poker. Its not necessarily bad but you should become addicted to tournament poker training. If you are addicted to training, you will have what you need in the future. If you are addicted to just flat out playing poker with no training, your likely to be missing a bunch of money that you should have spent on your future.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
If you control your finances and play in your free time then no, although it's good to take longer breaks. If you're messing up other things by playing and losing too much money, you've got a problem.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I know this because this is what I do in my free time

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you play as a professional player and this is your job, you are not addicted.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play 3-4 days a week, but I only play when I have free time. If I have a lot of work, I don't play and, to be honest, I'm not very nervous about it. I think addiction manifests itself when players start to lose patience, discipline and rely only on luck.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker isn't addictive like sports aren't addictive. Gambling is addictive like roulette or bingo. We should not include poker as an addictive game.

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I know I am addicted to poker. But for me it's Entertainment. I am retired, so I have a lot of time.
A person may spend 10% of their earnings on Entertainment, per month. I do not spent half of that every month.
My only child and 2 grandchildren take precedence over poker. Most of my people are deceased.

The point I am trying to make is this: If you are young and have small children and a full time job; do you actually have the time and money to play Poker?
Unless you are a pro and it is your way of making a living.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
full of other things besides poker, there is no time for poker

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
We are addicted to many things, but not all addictions are evil. For example, food and water can be useful to a person, or they can harm him. You just need to treat everything wisely and not do what harms you.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Constant urge to play for long hours can be called addiction. Playing few hours daily doesn't necessarily mean you are addicted to poker.

Addiction is a mental setup where a person gets restless if he doesn't follow his addiction.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Striving for higher stakes. This may be the result of constant losses, when you want to finally win back. Another reason is that you no longer experience adrenaline and a sense of excitement from betting on the current limit.You can fight addiction effectively. It is important to understand how serious it is - and not to joke with your health.