How do you know if you are a poker addict

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone goes through this. You need to through it and go on.

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first symptoms are when you realize you've invested and do not you get him out. Also when your wife and your family tells you that you spend all day on the computer and do nothing or work.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
maybe if you play more than 1500 + hands daily?

This ^ wouldn't even be close to an indication of whether or not a person is addicted to playing poker (I can play 1500hands in 1hr. & even if it took me 10hrs., it still has no bearing on whether or not I'm 'addicted' to the game).

If a person has to ask whether or not they're an addict.... they usually are one. (people who are not addicts, usually don't ask themselves this question)

CSVidal

CSVidal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker gets to be an addiction when impairs their daily activities

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting responses. Are most of these from personal experiences. I play a lot of poker, maybe 10 hours+ a day. I can't remember, the last day that I didn't play poker, but I have a balanced life.I decided that poker was going to be my main source of income, and I love every bit of it. Does that make me a poker addict?

R

RiskTaker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you let poker become your life.

Well, poker is a way of life. A life style.
If you want to be good at anything, you have to make sacrifices and to train daily how many hours possible.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, poker is a way of life. A life style.
If you want to be good at anything, you have to make sacrifices and to train daily how many hours possible.

I would call it more of a drug than a lifestyle lol

H

hulaaaa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U ARE addict, when after poker night you don't sleap, but rather tackle the analysis of the game

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was a real poker addict when I started playing poker in 2003. I would play as many hours I could without falling asleep. Also, I would pawn or sell anything to keep playing. That's about all for me.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first symptoms are when you realize you've invested and do not you get him out. Also when your wife and your family tells you that you spend all day on the computer and do nothing or work.

Here it is necessary to draw a distinction, poker as a job and poker as entertainment .. If he makes money, it's hard to call addiction. The first symptoms addiction is when your friends have birthday today, but you have evening grind, stay home and do not go to a party. I would say, addiction is when, instead of the usual entertainment you choose poker.

B

Biscleta

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you are not capable of saying no to poker...when you go to bed and you wish to play just one more hand to increase your bankroll...when you leave things behind just to play a 2 dollar tourment

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say if your spending money you cant afford consistently. hoping to hit big to win your money back

RubenRafael5

RubenRafael5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say if your spending money you cant afford consistently. hoping to hit big to win your money back
True. Playing with to much impulsion is bad, and in my opinion, every good poker players knows it and has been through it. The most important is to keep your head clear, stay focus and get wise ;) If you had a bad day, don't play, wait for a good state of conscience to avoid distractions.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
"1 hour of poker is too much and 24 hour is not enough"

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are a few I got from a medical web page:

◾Taking risks (1) - in some cases the addicted individual make take risks to make sure he/she can obtain his/her substance, such as stealing or trading sex for money/drugs.
◾Secrecy and solitude - in many cases the addict may take their substance alone, and even in secret.
◾Denial - a significant number of people who are addicted to a substance are in denial. They are not aware (or refuse to acknowledge) that they have a problem.
◾Dropping hobbies and activities - as the addiction progresses the individual may stop doing things he/she used to enjoy a lot.

But seriously, if gambling/poker is causing you problems in your life, but you can't quit, you have a problem you might need to get help with.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you pass up a guarantee of getting laid when an old friend stops by drunk and wants you go with her but say no because you're in a tournament. (I'm guilty of this).

I use to do this when I played WoW. I would be in a Naxx 40 man raid (back when the level cap was 60) I was in the best guild on my server though. "Sorry I can't come over I'm playing WoW". My guild LIVED WoW. Thug WoW Life

---

Oh yeah and you know you're addicted to poker when you think about poker all the time even when you sleep.

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
when U wake up thinking "I should have called that raise"