Status
Not open for further replies.
Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the sites have their fair share of donks - pokerstars being the biggest, obviously has the most. I've been on bodog lately and I would say 75% of the lower limit players there are complete donks. I've made a lot of money off of them but lost almost as much b/c of them calling 5x pre-flop bb raises with 6-4 off and cracking my AA - yeah, pretty sad.

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, but the people that complain about "Donks" are not too good of players themselves. I'm willing to be you limp in with a lot of hands and you don't think about your position too often while you are playing.

Search the forum for threads on position and bet sizing, that will help your game out big time.

I think thats very general. Not everyone who complains is a moron. I dont think theres anything wrong with complaining about donks when youve lost 5-6 buy ins in a row when you were 80% favorite when the money went in. You know, the times when it seems that the site is surely rigged and that variance is just a load of nonsense. If you can't tell, i've just had such a night. :D:D:D

Fact is though, bad players are the only reason that anyone makes money at poker. In the short term they're the most annoying thing on the planet, but in the longrun they're also the lifeblood of the game. Take the good with the bad.

Also, I've noticed that people love to regurgitate sklansky quotes at people who start threads like this(I can see the temptation). Just remember that not everyone has read poker books and knows about such concepts as expected value. So perhaps instead of belittling their knowledge we should point them in the direction of articles and books.

Last edited:
coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play on ftp and play tougher games? lol

i'm surprised stars has almost twice the number of players. wish ftp had that many fish. :( as i prefer the software there so much better.

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I've noticed that people love to regurgitate sklansky quotes at people who start threads like this(I can see the temptation). Just remember that not everyone has read poker books and knows about such concepts as expected value. So perhaps instead of belittling their knowledge we should point them in the direction of articles and books.

Point away, Kadafi. Don't suggest what others should do and not do it yourself.

As for the suggestion that only lower stakes contain donks. Nonsense! Check these out:

http://www.pokertableratings.com/ipo...earch/nawtstr8
http://www.pokertableratings.com/ful...h/mr%20cup

flipflops_n_shades

flipflops_n_shades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the sites have their fair share of donks - Pokerstars being the biggest, obviously has the most. I've been on Bodog lately and I would say 75% of the lower limit players there are complete donks. I've made a lot of money off of them but lost almost as much b/c of them calling 5x pre-flop bb raises with 6-4 off and cracking my AA - yeah, pretty sad.

This, this, this, this, and more of this. Last night, again, idiot hit a 3 outer. I am thinking about not playing BoRiverDog for a while since it is readily apparent that they have KILLSWITCHED me. I may re-download FullTilt. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

D

dan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
90% of poker players lose money pros go broke all the time people do insane things its the beauty of poker thank god for chat rooms that let you talk about it thier is no such thing as a donk they are just uninformed poker players what gives us the right to call them names isnt it enough they give us thier money if i have an 80-20 over the long haul i will lose some painful hands but i will also win many fantastic pots you know that guy thinks his A-3 is good whats better than that?

D

dan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh by the way how many times have you sucked out and some player was posting the same thing??? i know i have its the game

Lazmansa

Lazmansa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way i handle donks-

First of all i love them.

I sit back and try and get a read on what type of Biginner he/she is.
-plays every hand
-raises every hand
and so on.

I try to keep the pot small pre flop and will only raise with a very strong hand or if i am going to play the pot then i am wanting to be the first to raise.

I play the flops quite aggressive and that is where i make most of my cash.

-Be patiant
-Do not try and bluff
-remember there is no respect for pre flop raises
-keep the pots small pre flop unless u have a monster

Ahd this is how i handle the donkes(I am only a micro ring game player so my advice is very limited)

PS: i would not like to play Triggalos heads up,so if there is going to be a match up please post it:D .He has some awsome posts.

Lazmansa:cool:

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is hard when you get sucked out by a donk... i had my experiences where
two of my best hands where got ripped by the same player who has a totally
garbage hands and still goes allin pf. i called with my AK and AA and he still
hits 2pairs... i got out tof the table and ended my poker session.... just said
to myself... #@$*&( POKER!!! I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

flipflops_n_shades

flipflops_n_shades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does seem to me that there are more donks online nowadays. The infuriating thing is most of them know they can't play or are horrible so they will bluff you without concern or go all in with any 2 cards. I guess you just have to be patient and let them flame out or find a better table. I have been religiously taking notes on players that I deem as total donks so that I will know in the future how they play certain situations.

C

Crudelis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
o_O Can't believe someone would actually complain about donks. Donks are your friends, donks are your best chance of making a killing in poker. :) Yes the donk will sometimes suck out on you, hell sometimes they will suck out on you repeatedly. But keep in mind that hes winning because hes lucky, when his luck runs out he will continue to play like a idiot, losing several times as much as he won. :D If you find a donk you should add him to the friend search, sit at the same table with him everytime you log on and when his cards start to run cold relieve him of his BR.

JLtrooper

JLtrooper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple equation for beating donks:

Volume x Patience = Profit

Yes getting sucked out is horrible, hell today I had a guy call down a King-high flop with A7 against my AA and he hit running 7's.

If you don't like it, find a new game because poker is not for you. However, if you play enough hands and have half a clue what you're doing, you will profit from the donks in the long run.

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read my signature...

3_pair

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All i have to say is I play live alot, And the outdraws online seem to be in the range of 20-25% higher. And the newer markets seem to outdraw at an even higher rate. Those guys on stars in the last 6 months from IIIIIIIIIII are the worst. PSTARS PROGRAMMERS ARE GOOD!

IEatCards4Bkfst

IEatCards4Bkfst

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Bet with the best - Good call to invest - Fold all the rest."

I decided to start playing for real this Sunday on PokerStars, and I've been winning against donks using that philosophy. I suggest playing one table at a time until your able to win consistently. Play one table, study your opponents, label each as a fish, rock, etc, see who bluffs, who steals, play your position well, and you'll win easily! I actually make more money single tabling because I understand the opponents better...

Deployed in Iraq I've only been able to average 1-1:30 a night, and I've already made $86 (I was at $126 last night until I decided to play heads up) at $1/2 Limit. Take meticulous notes, manage your bankroll, become OCD man, it's the only way to go.

bankroll.jpg

That's from literally 5.6 hours of play, 3 days at $1/2 limits. It's possible man I've been studying for about 2 weeks, and playing online for less than that with real money since Sunday...

A

AlexisO

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just have to make bankroll management and play very tight with not much tables at the same time.

3_pair

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Something I have noticed alot is donks from the newer markets smack those low % hands often!

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
o_O Can't believe someone would actually complain about donks. Donks are your friends, donks are your best chance of making a killing in poker. :) Yes the donk will sometimes suck out on you, hell sometimes they will suck out on you repeatedly. But keep in mind that hes winning because hes lucky, when his luck runs out he will continue to play like a idiot, losing several times as much as he won. :D If you find a donk you should add him to the friend search, sit at the same table with him everytime you log on and when his cards start to run cold relieve him of his BR.
wow dude you are fricking brutale but i like the way you think i just recently changed how i play and its starting to pay off but its really hard to fold alot of hand:cool:

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not just PS. They're like cockroaches-they're everywhere. For every one you see there's a million you don't.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Bet with the best - Good call to invest - Fold all the rest."

I decided to start playing for real this Sunday on PokerStars, and I've been winning against donks using that philosophy. I suggest playing one table at a time until your able to win consistently. Play one table, study your opponents, label each as a fish, rock, etc, see who bluffs, who steals, play your position well, and you'll win easily! I actually make more money single tabling because I understand the opponents better...

Deployed in Iraq I've only been able to average 1-1:30 a night, and I've already made $86 (I was at $126 last night until I decided to play heads up) at $1/2 Limit. Take meticulous notes, manage your bankroll, become OCD man, it's the only way to go.

[image]

That's from literally 5.6 hours of play, 3 days at $1/2 limits. It's possible man I've been studying for about 2 weeks, and playing online for less than that with real money since Sunday...

Very interesting.. First off, hope things are going alright for you in Iraq! I have a good buddy who was over for a while, and though he didn't have poker to keep him grounded, he relished all the breaks he could get. :) Keep up the great work!

There's a well referenced book called Small Stakes Hold 'Em ( Amazon.com: Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play (9781880685327): Ed Miller, David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth: Books ) that advises you to play limit at the very low levels, and teaches you how to exploit the "donks". Play the cards that you're going to win with, don't over bluff, understand positional advantages, and you can start to make some cash! You seem to know this concept, so it's more for the OP to read. :D

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1 ! Let the donks keep coming! Fish make for profit.

S

Skwurll

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what you're talking about Minnacia. I have the exact same problem no matter how good I play and how much I try to control my tilt the donks always get me. I wonder sometimes how the pros do it. What is it the pros are doing that I'm not doing? cos I think I play a pretty good game. Do you have to play really huge buy ins and high stakes just to get decent players? I wish I knew the answer because I love playing poker but am starting to hate it because of this.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dude, this thread is over two years old. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands