How do you deal with poker being recreational?

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately my workday is making me very tired, my shifts have been nocturnal, and although u have the availability to play, I have not done it because I know I will not give my best in a tournament.
Usually I play two days yes and two days no.
And you how do you deal with poker in relation to your work, it negatively affects the way you play?

Good luck at the tables!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never start a game if I am tired. If I feel tired, I prefer to rest. I usually play 3-4 days a week, 3-4 hours a day.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your lifestyle. I take poker seriously and tho I do not consider myself a pro I play to make money. To be good at poker will take hard work and dedication - you have to be willing to do such and your lifestyle will have to fit to make it possible.

I work a full time job 5 days a week from 8-5. That being said I stidy at LEAST 2 nights a week (often more than that) and put in volume that amounts to 150-200 MTTs per month. Im fortunate enough to have a wife who supports what i do and im balanced enough in my life to be able to achieve these margins. Last year I cashed for a total of about 17K online playing an average buy in of about $7 and i netted a profit of just over $3.5k - i was happy with those results so im looking to only improve them now on this coming year.

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your lifestyle. I take poker seriously and tho I do not consider myself a pro I play to make money. To be good at poker will take hard work and dedication - you have to be willing to do such and your lifestyle will have to fit to make it possible.

I work a full time job 5 days a week from 8-5. That being said I stidy at LEAST 2 nights a week (often more than that) and put in volume that amounts to 150-200 MTTs per month. Im fortunate enough to have a wife who supports what i do and im balanced enough in my life to be able to achieve these margins. Last year I cashed for a total of about 17K online playing an average buy in of about $7 and i netted a profit of just over $3.5k - i was happy with those results so im looking to only improve them now on this coming year.

That's wonderful bro. It's really nice to know that your wife supports you on this.
I'm glad to hear you can have an extra income playing poker. Congratulations!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's wonderful bro. It's really nice to know that your wife supports you on this.
I'm glad to hear you can have an extra income playing poker. Congratulations!

Thank you for the kind words. I just hope my situation is an inspiration to others to know you CAN do it too.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes, if I have a very busy schedule, I do not play at all. If I am tired, I usually lack patience and concentration, so I think it is best to rest after a hard day's work.

sazkee

sazkee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, if I have a very busy schedule, I do not play at all. If I am tired, I usually lack patience and concentration, so I think it is best to rest after a hard day's work.
Same here, i had couple of bad runs whilst playing tired so i usualy just wait for a day off or untill i feel like i can actually concentrate on playing.
Playing tired sucks :(

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you work, you really get very tired sometimes, and then there are things to do at home, there is little time left for poker. therefore, I prefer to play cash, and not tournaments, which sometimes I play on weekends or holidays.