How do you deal with downswings?

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a recreational player it's easy to just take some time off.

I also like to watch people play when I feel a downswing coming on or tilt for that matter.

Downswings are inevitable though so we should find ways to just keep chugging through them. I'm better than I used to be at this and playing within your BR is the key.

If you are feeling the sting of losses you may need to move down or boost your BR up to where it stings less when you lose.

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience with downswings is hard. You have to keep pulling through even when you're losing. Have done so for 15 years. I'm a full-time player.

dunkyhory

dunkyhory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a break usually for about 2 days,the time it takes the new mouse to arrive :D

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I'm leaving the game and move to a small limit of 0.25-0.5 $

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Back in September, I ran deep into several online tournaments on BCP, and I was able to get paid by check a couple of times. I tried playing the cash games with 36 cards 25/50 and I made $100 in a few days.
The check options are okay there. For $65 you can receive your money in less than 48 hours. The regular mail which comes at no cost takes about a week. So my balance was at $150, and I tried to cash out but the regular mail option was not available. So I had to get another $15 to be able to get paid $100.
I knew a downswing was coming. It's happened to me dozens of times when I fall a little bit short of the withdrawal minimum. I soon started to begin noticing that this 6+ game has lots of river suck outs. And I entered a $150 live tourney where I drew a pair of kings w/KQs on the flop and double barreled against a guy that wouldn't fold an A-To. Q on the turn. J on the river.
Pissed me off that he wouldn't lay down a hand that only had 16% equity. So I quit and totally forgot about poker for the next two months. Alright, in my last live tournament I finished 14th out of 413.
Sometimes you play too hard and you just need to take a break.

Last edited:
S

smk77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Step away and take a break. Get some fresh air or do something else other than poker that you love to do. Avoid alcohol :).

You will always have downswings but you have to learn for yourself (in my opinion) how to cope with it.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m usually able to deal with downswings fairly well and play through them without letting it affect my play. I even take breaks from poker and come back to playing when I feel fresh. At times I will limit myself to playing just one or two real money buyins and freerolls; this helps me get through it and back in the right mind set.
At times though I do tilt in various ways: sometimes I start playing bad and even though I realize it I continue playing and losing even more, other times I play bigger buyins which sometimes causes me to lose my bankroll and lastly I just break things which cost me money. I know none of these things are helpful but sometimes I just can’t seem to separate emotion from the game. I can’t seem to stop these negative reactions until I’ve completely released my aggression or frustration.
How do you deal with downswings? Not just in positive ways but the negative as well. When you have a negative reaction to a downswing what gets you back on track?
Take my beating like a man play more freerolls:D

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Usually I walk away for a few days of poker take fresh air and then back to the tables much quieter

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
All good advice. Quitting for awhile is the best option. Take time off. :hahaha:

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Stop playing!! That's the best solution!!

Vachina

Vachina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am constantly battling against my inner demons while playing tournaments.

After many years of consistent grinding I can affirm that I've been on downswing over 90% of the time. To be honest I don't even see it that way anymore. Results are just a continuous stream of data with a tendency of "Y" moving upwards or downarda over LARGE samples.

Basically as an mtt player you are not winning majority of the time and only ocasional big wins keep you a float. You can either get used to losing or find another ocupation.

For past two years have been playing recreationally only ~5000 games and I have not won anything significant and I am probably down a thousand or few, but I don't feel affected nor frustrated.

I've had one big downswing of 1500 average buyins. Mainly because of poor game selection and personal problems in life. It served me as a vaccine against mental hurdles in both poker and life.

Regards

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be smart

what I try to do is play better and understand that it is something normal. The main key in poker is play to win the maximum you can and play to lose the minimum you can so the key is when we have a downswings the best option is play better and try to lose the minimum we can just be patient and understand that is poker and then take advantage of the oportunities we got.

DieCosta

DieCosta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No deal

The same I ask myself long time ago...but the experience tell me no has posible deal whit it the best way is keeping playing your best and trying to not have a big loses when you down and get the benefit when your winning. Be positive in both cases always.