How do I stop losing?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your logic is seriously lacking. I play 10NL (when i play cash) and some of the play is awful. I don't then think it's going to take me ages to win $1k so I may as well play $200NL when I have yet to beat any level and I'm under-rolled.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi WVHillbilly, I am not sure If I should drop to 0.1/0.2 at the moment, because it will take me forever to reach 40$, and I am totally sure that I'll start playing bit careless on those tables, never improving my game. But I will take your advice.. When I have to deposit again, (and have even more to make up) I'll definitely drop to 0.1/0.2 games. I really appreciate your advice and I will write my progress here in one week, Thanks again.

FYP :D

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
watching live games of poker players will be of no help to you. Honestly, you are probably not better than everyone else and also you are playing outside your bankroll. Playing .5/.10 you want 25 buy-ins, or $250.

My advice, if you want to learn, is to move down to .01/.02, practice a lot, and read a lot here. You won't lose much and you'll learn more.
Maybe so 'but' he "wants to win/get his money back".. it'd take forever to do this playing 2nl.
OP, I mention this ^ because I think you need to change the thinking.. 'forget about the money'.. work on getting better at the game & the money will take care of itself.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
San, seriously, you are suffering from a form of tilt. "I HAVE to make my money back"

Its a sure fire recipe to lose more. Win at lower stakes first. Get your game together. Your thinking is not congruent with winning long term.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
San i got a Question Did you do alot of bluffing in that video game??
2nl is better starting point, most play the same way in 10nl. Don't try to bluff in low limits.
And as stated before, start out in some freerolls and build your BR.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everyone loses money playing poker, but poker players are not really that honest about it

Derail:

OK, I keep reading these content-less one liners from you, and then read you complaining about posts being deleted and your post count will never rise etc. You have been given tips and hints, as well as links. (and maybe you even got a PM IDK.)

If you have nothing to say bot non-content generic stuff, then dont be surprised when these are deleted and your post count does not rise. From a comment you made about not getting your post count up to the limit for the freeroll club, I can only assume that is why you are here and posting. The freeroll club is for people who are interested in learning poker, and become active members of this forum, which means they take part in discussion, not just glance at threads, make mundane remarks that show a total dis-interest in the actual discussion. These players often improve, advance to a stage where they no longer play freerolls (sometimes anyway...lol) and then start giving back - in the way of their combined experience and knowledge.

Now, if you dont get it this time, there aint no helpin ya.......

end derail/rant

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Derail:

OK, I keep reading these content-less one liners from you, and then read you complaining about posts being deleted and your post count will never rise etc. You have been given tips and hints, as well as links. (and maybe you even got a PM IDK.)

If you have nothing to say bot non-content generic stuff, then dont be surprised when these are deleted and your post count does not rise. From a comment you made about not getting your post count up to the limit for the freeroll club, I can only assume that is why you are here and posting. The freeroll club is for people who are interested in learning poker, and become active members of this forum, which means they take part in discussion, not just glance at threads, make mundane remarks that show a total dis-interest in the actual discussion. These players often improve, advance to a stage where they no longer play freerolls (sometimes anyway...lol) and then start giving back - in the way of their combined experience and knowledge.

Now, if you dont get it this time, there aint no helpin ya.......

end derail/rant

+1

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was down about €1k after my first 3 months of poker. Financially there was no way I could keep that up. I took some time off to read and practice at the lowest stakes, and haven't had a losing month since then.

Honestly, BRM isn't just about not going broke, it's about not checking the cashier after every hand, not thinking, "hmmm if I lose this pot that's 1/3 of my bankroll gone".

I only wish someone had told me to stop and think a bit earlier, so I would be an extra €1k into the black now!

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lose all the time online, but do real good in live play, gee go figure.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
San,

1. Stay with CardsChat, reading, posting and learning to get in the Freeroll Club. Then you can play and learn against some quality players representing the best of the skills necessary to better your game.

2. DO NOT, start playing tons of freerolls on the major sites. My reasoning stems from the logic of Roy Rounders Below:

3. Be patient.

GL...
CAMurray

Attachments

• Picture 142.jpg
    Picture 142.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 131
LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
San, seriously, you are suffering from a form of tilt. "I HAVE to make my money back"

Its a sure fire recipe to lose more. Win at lower stakes first. Get your game together. Your thinking is not congruent with winning long term.

In addition, the raging emotions you report are a another quite common form of tilt. And please know that none of what you're going through is unusual--I have never heard of a poker player who has never gone on tilt at one time or another, in one way or another! The good news is that if you recognize what's truly happening, you can change it.

Since you liked Dusty Schmidt's book, you might like the book written by his poker coach, titled "The Mental Game of Poker". He's also a member here and reading his thread should be of enormous help as well. Ask Mental Game Coach Jared Tendler

C

Carmine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to ask yourself why you are playing in the first place...not to sound corny but I'm not hearing any passion about the game, I hear desperation to get back your money which I get but your doing it the wrong way. If this is just about money your screwed cuz the game doesn't owe you any money. The game demands your attention and dedication. If you approach the game from an investment stance than your bound to lose. Learn the game, develop a passion, always be hungry to learn and improve, pay your dues (poker tuition). The advice posted here is invaluble, people have given you some really good advice, take it. Anybody that has been successful at this game it was because they loved it. I've been playing a really long time and everytime I play I learn something, the young people coming in now with a passion for the game have changed it for the better. You want your grand back ? Learn the game, love the game, have a passion to play and learn and that grand will keep coming back, promise...good luck my friend.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, most players lose at online poker.

Thank god....

I think you need to ask yourself why you are playing in the first place...not to sound corny but I'm not hearing any passion about the game, I hear desperation to get back your money which I get but your doing it the wrong way. If this is just about money your screwed cuz the game doesn't owe you any money. The game demands your attention and dedication. If you approach the game from an investment stance than your bound to lose. Learn the game, develop a passion, always be hungry to learn and improve, pay your dues (poker tuition). The advice posted here is invaluble, people have given you some really good advice, take it. Anybody that has been successful at this game it was because they loved it. I've been playing a really long time and everytime I play I learn something, the young people coming in now with a passion for the game have changed it for the better. You want your grand back ? Learn the game, love the game, have a passion to play and learn and that grand will keep coming back, promise...good luck my friend.

^^^^^^^^^^I like this post

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never deposited:) . But of course it took me 1 year to win my first 100 $. Second year i think i won like 1300$ 1/4 of them from CC freerolls. And now i am stuggling to build my BR after cashing all i had for pesronal reasons. Of course it is working faster this time. I have a total of around 200$ after 2 mounths on 5 different sites.
Simply i do not want to deposit. Building a bankroll of 100$ from scrap teaches me more than building a BR from 100 to 200. 50Buy-ins it was always been my limit for a while and i think it is a good habbit. Variance is a bitch and you can easely go broke if you do not take measures. For beginners I would advise to play 2NL untill they reach 200$. It is not a joke. You need at least 200k hands of balanced game to be confident that you are ready to go up one lvl. Actually the BR management onlly saves you from disaster. You can have 1000 buy-ins but if you are not 100% confident that you can beat the current stackes do not move up yet. There are few players that are prodigyes and make money over night. The rest of us have to take is like a regular job where we are learning and gaining experience. Only when we reach managers lvl we move to a better company that requires more skill .

Last edited:
nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never deposited:) . But of course it took me 1 year to win my first 100 $. Second year i think i won like 1300$ 1/4 of them from CC freerolls. And now i am stuggling to build my BR after cashing all i had for pesronal reasons. Of course it is working faster this time. I have a total of around 200$ after 2 mounths on 5 different sites.
Simply i do not want to deposit. Building a bankroll of 100$ from scrap teaches me more than building a BR from 100 to 200. 50Buy-ins it was always been my limit for a while and i think it is a good habbit. Variance is a bitch and you can easely go broke if you do not take measures. For beginners I would advise to play 2NL untill they reach 200$. It is not a joke. You need at least 200k hands of balanced game to be confident that you are ready to go up one lvl. Actually the BR management onlly saves you from disaster. You can have 1000 buy-ins but if you are not 100% confident that you can beat the current stackes do not move up yet. There are few players that are prodigyes and make money over night. The rest of us have to take is like a regular job where we are learning and gaining experience. Only when we reach managers lvl we move to a better company that requires more skill .

i must say a very impressive performance youve got here :)

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah but at the same time, we do want to become managers in the end, and cashing out all your money and starting again is like demoting yourself.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah but at the same time, we do want to become managers in the end, and cashing out all your money and starting again is like demoting yourself.
True. But i had some personal reasons to do that. Now i can deposit all that but i do not need to. Simply there are a lot of things to do at lower stakes like getting a coach for example. That i cannot afford yet:)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True. But i had some personal reasons to do that. Now i can deposit all that but i do not need to. Simply there are a lot of things to do at lower stakes like getting a coach for example. That i cannot afford yet:)
Frankly, it seems "penny wise, pound foolish" for a winning player to refuse to deposit. If I know I'm profitable at a particular level and have money to bankroll myself, I'd skip grinding through the lower levels again.

complex1

complex1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
winning poker

i agree with Arjonius , i thought i had the game figured out after about a year. i was playing a TAG style of play and had some nice early winning sessions. then this last year after playing for 6 years i realized i needed to bring my game to a new level. i had to change my whole outlook on my stratagy. and feel i have now made advancements. so yes, the game is like chess. always room for improvements.

san

san

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.. I have adopted TAG style and it's working really well, but I am not been able to go up 50$, no matter how hard I try I loose 1 day and win next day..lol. I've been raising my good hands, it's working. I have lowered my level to 0.3/0.6 and totally stopped playing tournaments and freerolls etc, only focusing on cash games, thanks for such nice tips everyone..
and @Carmine I do love this game, that's the reason I play, I learned that distractions can cause real big looses. So whenever I play, I try to be focused as possible..

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many hands have you played since your last deposit?

Edit: If you don't know exactly then how many tables do you play and how many hours have you played since?

san

san

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi WVHillbilly I think I have played more than 7000 hands after I have installed Hold'em manager 1 week ago. But I don't know how many hours exactly. Every session lasted around 5-10 hours. I tried 2 tables but I am not yet comfortable, so it was 1 table all the way.

Last edited: