How big a prize would you have to win to quit your job and become a pro?

H

hlance

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, serious comment

It's more about how much you love poker than anything else. A few serious things to consider -

1) A crude but valuable estimate is that you can draw about 4% of a retirement account down per year without cutting in to the principle. If you have a million you can probably generate about 40K of income from that million without doing anything or risking the principle much.

2) Poker is work. It's fun work but may get a little less fun the more you have to do it. We talk about ROI but it's not ROI on an investment you can buy and then leave alone. A big bankroll is a qualification for a job more than an investment.

3) A finance principle which applies is that if two things generate the same return, the less risky one is better. From a financial perspective.

4) If you're able to play high level poker you're probably also smart enough to get a skill that can lead to a high paying

5) A young person with lots of time ahead and no specific skills can spend a couple of years trying out pro poker, and it may even look cool on a resume. A person with specific skills, say a programmer, making solid money, might harm that career if they took some years off, then had to return with a gap on the resume where they tried to play pro poker.

6) Probably if you're in college the amount you need to give it a shot for a while is just enough to hang in there. Whereas in other circumstances, even if you're doing great at poker, going pro doesn't make a lot of sense.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would have to be at least 500k. If I won that amount, I would probably try to be a poker player for a while.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think enough for me 160 thousand. For normal bankroll for Sunday milions and Sunday spark.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm capable and willing to live pretty modestly, so probably just around 40-50k would be enough to take a year to attempt to get started.

K

katebeckinsale777

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Million or more.

Last edited: