How to be patient at a poker table as a guy with anger issues

M

Michael Sayah

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
LB
Chips
Okay so apprently as a person that loves the game so much and enjoys playing it .. sometimes if im losing specially if its bad beats most of the time i can't hold my anger much and i start talking shit about cards and swearing about having bad luck . I never talk to the other people on the table tho ! everyone is free to play how they want specially its cash game that i play most of the time ! but sometimes they tell me that they get tilted when i do that . They say u either want to win or scream and cry about it and sometimes they tell me because im losing money im doing that .. but it was never about the money some times the cards just mess you up ! And being a guy with anger issues idk if i can just hold it in .. ! id like to hear from others what do they think about that

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have you ever been mugged in real life?
If yes, were you calm after the encounter and in control of your emotions?

You're being robbed online...so letting off 'some' steam is normal.

Having said that. If this was the Wild West, my head would be on a wanted poster, so you really wouldn't want me as your sports psychologist !

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
having control of emotions is part of the skills of a winner

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
If you have anger problems you should start working on it so that it does not affect your game and decision making in your plays. Everything in this life is practice and effort and if you want to be good at poker and in life, the first thing is to work on that problem since it affects not only poker but also life in general.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe poker isn't the best game for you then lol
Just kidding, I believe that everyone has a different aproach for dealing with anger... I myself try to stop playing when on tilt and go study a bit of the game. The rational side from studying help me to overcome the emotions of bead beats, for example...

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brother... Part of having emotional intelligence relies on knowing your emotions and when they arise.

The thing is, emotions can't be controlled but they can be perceived before making any damage.
So first thing is to recognize that you'll get angry or sad... You'll tilt...

When do these detrimental emotions take place? What happens around you? What happens within you?
Knowing these, will let you take action before the emotions take place.

Accept your emotions.

The second thing is sample amount.

Maybe you just have to play more to get used to these "unfair" cards and not loose it when they're in your way.

I do get taken by emotion once in while also but, less than before.

Some days I know that I'm not in the best emotional state to play and I simply don't play.
Learned it the hard way by spilling my whole bankroll more than once at a day that I shouldn't even be playing cause I was taken by toxic emotions.

Wish y'all the finest time at the felt.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well IMHO controlling the emotions is one of the most difficult thing to learn when you play poker. Dealing with downswings without getting angry and lose your A-game is not easy. Be patient and go on playing well'even if the results are not coming as quicky as expected.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Play poker at the table, do not react to anything, play and listen only to yourself, success will come unnoticed.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think a guy with anger issues at a cash table is a dream come true.... the only person tilted by your anger is you

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Okay so apprently as a person that loves the game so much and enjoys playing it .. sometimes if im losing specially if its bad beats most of the time i can't hold my anger much and i start talking shit about cards and swearing about having bad luck . I never talk to the other people on the table tho ! everyone is free to play how they want specially its cash game that i play most of the time ! but sometimes they tell me that they get tilted when i do that . They say u either want to win or scream and cry about it and sometimes they tell me because im losing money im doing that .. but it was never about the money some times the cards just mess you up ! And being a guy with anger issues idk if i can just hold it in .. ! id like to hear from others what do they think about that
many times he is stressing you out to take advantage. try to ignore that you will be fine. I always win with patience, when I get stressed, laughing, I lose.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you love the game, you know that bad beats will always happen no matter how good you play. I've had been on tilt so many times since I started playing many years ago, but now I've accepted that bad beats are part of the game. If I'm making the right decisions, I just move on to the next table and keep playing focused.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'm not a professional, but maybe combine poker and anger troubles is not the best option. Maybe you can get some professional help, just to develop the necessary tools to control those situations.

Also, learning how poker works would really help. Professional players get bad beated all the time, they sure get mad, but they do not tend to have those reactions.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you perceive everything so emotionally, then over time you will have every chance of getting a heart attack. I think that regular sports, running or swimming will be able to stabilize your emotional state.

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
If you got a suckout, just remember how many Slansky bucks you just earned. So, no need to tilt. ;)

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In all situations where we are faced with risks, losses and dangers, we must remain calm and try to understand that everything passes. With poker it is no different, calm must prevail even if our feelings are taken by an uncontrollable fury. It's hard, but it has to be that way. Revealing your emotions to your opponents is the first step to failure.

UngureanuDan

UngureanuDan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you are not patient and get angry playing poker you will lose at this game, Stay calm and focus even if you lose or win.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've had an explosive temper for as far back as I can remember. For the past quarter to a third of my life, I'll turn seventy this year, I brought it under control. I think that the secret is the same as quitting smoking, unless you really want to quit you'll fail. What made me want to is I realized that I wasn't really that nice of a person to be around, though people seemed to like me, so I just made putting that temper under control my project and for the most part I've been successful.

One thing that can help is that when you feel the anger coming on, lean back in your chair and take some deep breaths. One of my managers at work once suggested that and it still works. :)

If I'd been smart, I would have sought professional help back then but I didn't. My advice to you is the same as others have given, find someone in the mental health field to help you work things out. If you have good medical insurance a lot of the cost will be covered. Best wishes on your quest. ❤️

G

geometrydash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
I've seen children as young as 8 years old playing the game referred to as backrooms. You can tell a lot about people through their voices. Because they don't actually play the game in a competitive manner and they occasionally simply do whatever they want in it, they can be quite unpleasant. They also tend to make a lot of noise. Uninterrupted yelling and talking both. Yes.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you're just a person with a strong character and you can't do it when someone wins you or tells you something, apparently you're a strong person, you're advised to just play sports or a sport where you need character there you will reach great heights

staytrue001

staytrue001

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You should try to play more disciplined, for example, take breaks

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you have self-discipline issues, try playing only strong starting hands. That is, play tight. If you don't have the patience and you go into the game with a weak hand, this is a sure way to lose your stack. Of course, tight play is different for everyone, some say it's one hand out of five, some out of ten, but that's what affects your stack size. Study your opponent. Show special patience at the beginning of the game, find out the game of your opponents, their characteristic moves, and only after that make serious bets.You suffered a bad beat. It happens to everyone, you should not immediately try to win back, you will only aggravate the situation. Be patient and don't play a couple of hands to subdue your emotions.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe you already know the answer.
need to have more self control.