High Stakes Poker Season 7

ean

ean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personally think there was more action for a episode 1 than in any ep1s in the history of hsp.

no doubt the effect of the 3 whales and peat.

vanessa selbst is without a doubt the best female poker player right now. i still hate her though.

Disagree, I'd take Kathy Liebert or Clonie Gowan over her in a heartbeat. Idea--now that FTP has boycotted HSP, that should mean Clonie can now come ON! (Since she persona-no-grata at any FTP event.)

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disagree, I'd take Kathy Liebert or Clonie Gowan over her in a heartbeat. Idea--now that FTP has boycotted HSP, that should mean Clonie can now come ON! (Since she persona-no-grata at any FTP event.)

notsureifserious.jpeg

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I wil really have to beg to differ. If u had thrown out names like harman duke or rousso, might be worth a debate, but come on liebert, clonie freaking gowan? Only thing clonie has going for her are her big pairs if u know what I mean.

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching bad poker players is not only not interesting but also not helpful. HSP has been lauded for years by people like Dan Harrington because it was the best poker television to watch to learn how to play, and now it has devolved to this? If you want to watch whales, watch Whale Wars on Animal Planet.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching bad poker players is not only not interesting but also not helpful. HSP has been lauded for years by people like Dan Harrington because it was the best poker television to watch to learn how to play, and now it has devolved to this? If you want to watch whales, watch Whale Wars on Animal Planet.

Again, they're going for the Average Joe audience. Average Joe loves action, big pots and the "little guy" amateurs sticking it to the pros. The fact that the amateurs play some pretty horrible poker (and the fact that any one of them could be worth more than all the pros at the table combined) is beside the point.

On an unrelated note OMFG Andrew Robl tilts me. He's only been on for half an episode and he's already irritated me more than Norm Macdonald has for the whole season.

CheeseConey

CheeseConey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Norm MacDonald is hilarrious, but I can't wrap my head around him commentating on poker. Actually, if they would have kept Gabe and brought in Norm as the color man, I could definitely see that being a great combo.

laidlow

laidlow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen just about every episode of HSP and I too think it was a bad move not keeping Gabe on... and Norm freakin Mcdonald?! Ugh, hate that guy!

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is anyone actually watching this season?

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One and done! I used to DVR it - now I consider it a waste of space and stopped.

However I do like the new production of WTP and am becoming a fan of that (was not before). Never liked Tony Dunst - but his little feature has been very good and a highlight of the show.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On an unrelated note OMFG Andrew Robl tilts me. He's only been on for half an episode and he's already irritated me more than Norm Macdonald has for the whole season.

+1 to the Robl part.
I wish Robl would spit the marbles outta his mouth.

Also, Norm actually made me almost lol in ep 3. It was a chuckle at best but after 2 eps of just the most boring play by play it was good to hear.

The show is getting worse every year no doubt but I think its still watchable, barely tho.

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just saw the most recent episode. To be honest, I really miss the colorful commentary of Gabe Kaplan, it makes me realize how awesome he really was. I think Norm is most likely a pretty funny guy in general, but he has no idea how to comment poker action, and a lot of his comments come off as being kind of lame, for a lack of better words. I really don't like how Vanessa acts though, she thinks she is the best and honestly her play is not even that great. Doyle is a great player, but honestly I think he has too much resentment built up around the younger generation of poker players, albeit there are a lot of arrogant and self-absorbed young players, but many of them are very successful and Doyle should recognize that. I really hope the season turns around quickly!

TheDevilsLuck

TheDevilsLuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have watched all the episodes that have come out online. I like watching the younger players. Plus, I'm waiting for Phil Galfond. He's on this season right?

A

aaron_jd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Season 7 is worse than previous seasons. I prefer Gabe as well.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There's so few poker shows especially cash games. I watched the first episode out of curiosity and was pretty disappointed. Watched the 2nd and 3rd when I was bored. I kept hearing people say there was so much "ACTION". Pretty much Just standard hands that would happen at any limit so far.

Really the lineup just does nothing for me. Esfandiari, Doyle, and Barry. Definitely not must watch tv anymore.

Can't wait for PAD to return with their PLO cash game in April.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was a big fan of High Stakes Poker until season 7. Its just suddenly transformed into a really boring show and even the standard of poker play is not particularly great. Most of the players are just boring to watch. You are never going to get moments of tv like when Dwan and Ivey battled it out. You got a sense that this was poker at a level that us mortals would never achieve. Making a $150 000 bluff or whatever and getting called down with a pair of kings and a weak kicker because you are a billionaire calling station is not great poker. If we forget the stakes, I can see that crap every day at the micro levels. Nor are there players there like Sammy Fahar who mixed things up and were entertaining to watch. And how do the produces of this show compensate for the lack of interesting poker? They bring in the most boring commentator ever.

Well done guys. Well done

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have watched all the episodes that have come out online. I like watching the younger players. Plus, I'm waiting for Phil Galfond. He's on this season right?
I'm pretty sure he is. He'd better be. His appearance is also one of the things I'm explicitly looking forward to this season!

The level of play (thus far) definitely doesn't match up to past seasons'. It's a lot of donking around as opposed to awe-inspiring, sophisticated, super high level, meta-meta-game play. As with most people, I miss the likes of Dwan, Ivey, Antonius, etc. and hope the poker sites will drop all petty politicking between them in the future (or at least with regards to one venue... just ONE little TV show where pros can come together regardless of site affiliation). But I continue to watch because as relatively uninteresting as this is, it's still poker, I like poker, and what other options do I have when it comes to semi-decent poker shows?

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, they're going for the Average Joe audience. Average Joe loves action, big pots and the "little guy" amateurs sticking it to the pros. The fact that the amateurs play some pretty horrible poker (and the fact that any one of them could be worth more than all the pros at the table combined) is beside the point.

They may be going for the Average Joe, but the average Joe doesn't tune in every week. It's people who love poker who watch the show religiously, and they want to watch pros. When poker has worked on tv, whether early High Stakes or early wsop/WPT, it's when pros were playing. To make a basketball analogy: street ball may have the action, but people watch the NBA.

V

vandar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There's so few poker shows especially cash games. I watched the first episode out of curiosity and was pretty disappointed. Watched the 2nd and 3rd when I was bored

Dwan, Ivey, Antonious, and Galfond !!!

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they said that they bring norm for the comidec side of the show but gabe is 10 times more funnier than that guy by far