have you used the function in the ft before?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you consider the possibility that poker involves both skill and gambling?

What does that have to do with making a deal/chop on final table to reduce variance???

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never deal unless you believe you are not going to win.....

You should NEVER believe you cannot win!

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never used the feature before, I think it's a good idea to use it when the difference between amounts is not that big.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

This statement has me 'believing' you've never gone deep in an MTT, otherwise you'd know that the variance can be insane, whether or not you're Johnny Bax of Phil Ivey... anything can (& does) happen once blinds are HUGE.
It's rare to even see the very best MTT high stakes regs. refuse a deal. Sure in some tourneys (ie. Super Tuesday $1K buyin, & the $1K-Monday on Fulltilt) you'll often get a few players who don't consider a deal, probably partly due to their bankrolls being HUGE and the difference of $20k isn't that big.... also I'd imagine it's a bit of a presitgious thing to ship one of those tourneys.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Wat? that's crazy.

Its simple math combined with your assesment of skill and chipstacks. And the bigger the money, the more you should be willing to take a deal, assuming it is a fair one.

3 examples.
1) $11 rush tourney. We got down to 4 left and all had 8 or 9 BB. we could ICM chop and everyone gets around 2d place money $260ish. If we played it out, it was around $180 more to the winner and 4th place was probably $130 less.

Unless I think I have a huge edge at push/folding here it's crazy not to chop. In reality, I think there were 2 better and two worse players, but this was going to be a crapshoot. So I locked in the 2d place money. Of course I believed I could win. I also believed I could come in 4th just as easily.

2) $3 rebuy on stars. I got HU and we were at identical stacks 100bb deep and had been playing 8 hours. 2d was I think $4900 and first $6500 or so. Now in this case that's a sizable swing in dollars. I also know that HU isn't the best part of my game, and that it could take a LONG time to play at 100bb deep. opponent offered to even chop the money - he didn't want to play anymore. In the end we split it at 5500 each and played for 500 to the winner. If I felt like I had a huge efge here then I might well refuse the chop at the beginning. But in this case I'm probably even or behind skill wise. So taking the deal and playing out for the 500 makes the most sense... and is a smart variance hedge.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've never used it because too many times i'm itm but not the final table and i haven't seen anyone use it when i make it to the final, maybe cause i play more low limits? i don't know.
but i would use it if it were to my advantage. :icon_salu :)

D

DennisC98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made a deal once in the fulltiltpoker freeroll pot limit omaha hi, we were down to 4 players but no one seems to go out so we agreed to make a deal and that felt pretty awesome lol