Hand reading, and 6 Max play

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently started playing 6 max. Seemed to be quite popular amongst my friends, so I thought I would see what all the fuss was about. Playing $50 NL on Full Tilt, and occasionally if at my brothers $25 NL on poker stars.

I have really enjoyed it, what I have enjoyed the most, is being able to keep tabs on the players easily, with there only being 5 to track. My general Strategy pre flop has been extremely tight in early position. Almost never playing the SB with out a hand. In later position I will raise with any hand with some kind of value. Including Ace x Sooted, connecting cards small pairs etc. I feel my pre flop play has been good, maybe a little to tight for 6 max, not certain about that

I had the best weekend ever playing poker last weekend, really did rake in some cash for the limit I am playing at. Was running at something like 94BB and hour by the end of the weekend! Obviously I realise that this is just the short term. Although I was really chuffed, as only once did I get my money all in with the worst of it, and even then I sucked out on them :D

Back down to earth with a bang so far this week, and it hasn't been through out draws, apart from the odd one. I feel I have played really poor, and I am not exactly sure why.

I think possibly I have gone in to a bit of auto mode again. When the flop comes down now, all of a sudden I am feeling weak. No confidence a bet will take the pot down. No confidence my top pair is good and so on.

So some ideas on my thinking procceses are what I am looking for, so I can slow my game right down again, and start thinking logically about things again, rather than the auto mode play

Thanks B_S

Boltneck

Boltneck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In later position I will raise with any hand with some kind of value. Including Ace x Sooted, connecting cards small pairs etc.

I play full ring limit games, so am not the best person to give detailed strategic advice. However, the phrase that I've quoted above does sound alarm bells to me. It also sounds a little on the loose side, but that's not the main issue. What concerns me most is the seemingly automated nature of your actions.

I would NEVER recommend doing ANYTHING all of the time. Okay, there are plenty of donks about, but the better players will soon get a read on you - and make you pay. Secondly, and more importantly, the actions that you take should be Dependant upon what your opponents before you have done (and indeed what the players following you might do) and the type of player that you are up against. It takes an entirely different style of play when dealing with a maniac than it would if up against a rock. For example, if a rock limps from an early position, your T9o or A rag suited is likely to be second best. Sure, you'll probably get paid of nicely if you hit, but that won't be too often.

Also, you make no mention of the size of your PFR's - that will obviously have a bearing on how much action you get. I'm a firm believer that TAG is best, and would never recommend doing anything automatically.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should raise with Ax suited in late position nearly everytime when playing 6 max. 6 max is typically all about position and aggression, and if you are finding yourself reading well like you mentioned, raise it. Just make sure you are able to lay down a hand that isn't going anywhere and your reads are saying you are behind.

If you have a VPIP of 22 or less like a full ringer, you're most likely making some big mistakes and not playing enough cards.

Good job on finding a niche for yourself!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands