Gone Broke Again

adsthepro123

adsthepro123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take Breaks

~Take regular breaks when you have a big loss, turn off your computer straight away and go and rest for maybe a few hours or a few days depending on the kind of person you are and how bad you are when you go on tilt.
Also i recommend watching the Chris Ferguson bankroll management video on full tilt poker academy.
adsthepro

M

mr_maverickb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
calm down bro, everyone wants to win money, EVERYONE, why else would we play? but it seems you get antsy, patience is a virtue, wait it out and play as usual a bad beat is a hand or two not EVERY hand, just play it slow

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, i know you hear it but thats poker.. like you i tilt to and i do a damn good job at it.. i can tilt and lose 5 in a row.. But I AM UP.....11TH in the cashout for a buck 60 whaat

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with Lizzy. taking a break is always a great option. After a couple of days of no poker you'll forget all about it. Then come back with a clear mind the next time you start.

Playing $10 and $20 sng's with a $75 roll is just crazy!

Playing $1-$5 SNGs with a $7 BR is just as crazy IMO. A BR is a poker players life line. If you BR can be easily replaced it's a budget not a BR. With $7 and good BRM you should be playing the 25 cent daily dollar sattys. PO has it right you need to remove yourself emotionally from the money and concentrate on playing your best poker. IMO it's much better to be over rolled for a given level as it makes it easier to focus on the game and not money. The focus shouldn't be on how much can be won or lost but whether or not your making better decisions than the opponants. If your consistantly making better plays than the opponants you will win in the long run. And if you don't have good BRM skills there will never be a long run only a bunch of short runs ending in bad beats or coolers.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually have the opposite concern/problem - - I'm a HUGE bankroll NIT and have often stayed playing in buyins too low for my bankroll and actually have better results in marginally higher buyin levels...

Another weird thing for myself (just read something similiar in another thread on here somewhere)... in live tourneys I have no problem with spending $75 to $350 in a heartbeat but online I feel like it's mandatory to satellite into anything over $25 buyin. It's insane,.... I hoard my online poker bucks like a security blanket.

Interesting. I'm the same way but have never thought that might be a problem until now.:confused:

The method behind my madness is frequency of play and the actual size of my live and online poker bankrolls, which I keep separate. I usually play live once a month for a couple of days--a tourney or 2 ($50-$80-$100 buy-ins) and cash games (sitting down with $150-$200 to start). My live BR covers that adequately, as well as a cushion if I happen to be running cold. I also have a stop loss limit. I must be doing that OK because I've netted a profit for the last 3-4 years.

Online is totally different. My online BR is no where near the size of my live one. No way could I play at the stakes I do live. Online I generally play at least one tourney a day,if not more, and cash games an average of 3-4 times a week. I play below my BR (about half of what I "should" be)because I am still struggling with my ROI and effective online play which is so different from live. While I must be getting somewhat better because I haven't had to deposit in quite some time, I still feel like I'm treading water.

For me, there is also a psychlogical factor. In the past, I found that when my BR took a serious dive I would start to play in desperation mode which compounded the problem.

Writing all this out is helping me look at the situation more objectively. Yes, I confess--I hoard my online BR like a security blanket too. I'm actively playing with half and the other half sits in my online accounts like in a piggy bank gathering no interest. Maybe it's a rainy day kind of mentality? Or, as Poker Orifice said, is it plain and simple insanity?!

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what advice anyone gives you, your judgment will decide if you bust or not. I'm pretty sure everyone here knew at one point, that they're not supposed to be playing at the stakes, but they still did it. After getting busted out a couple of time, you'll know the pain, and learn from it. When you're on tilt, you have to have the discipline to walk away and comeback with a fresh new perspective.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter what advice is given to you, it's ultimately going to come down to your discipline. I know these guys have told me to take a break, breathe, go get some coffee, hang out with friends, etc.

You know what you are supposed to do but, it always comes down to what you emotionally and mentally feel like doing. I've blown the advice I'm given here out the window with resulting busto. Now, I listen.

L

leon818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have same expenience with you and what I am doing now is getting myself to win again in the games...one of the way is to change the type of games what you're playing...e.g. from MTT to cash tables/SNG...you wont go tilt when you can win $$$ ... GOOD LUCK!!! :)

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good advice, thanks for starting this thread NBA2K10ROCKETS.

It's weird, I have no compunctions about taking $300 to Commerce, but I have a hard time putting that into an Online site. [I'll have to start a new thread about that]

Anyway, I'm going to start a I want to play $20SNG NOW support group. We'll have meetings with coffee, cookies, and bad beat therapy. :D

Welcome Lineproducer, glad you came out of lurk mode! Um, where do I sign up for the support group? :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Orifice

Another weird thing for myself (just read something similiar in another thread on here somewhere)... in live tourneys I have no problem with spending $75 to $350 in a heartbeat but online I feel like it's mandatory to satellite into anything over $25 buyin. It's insane,.... I hoard my online poker bucks like a security blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkMarlow

Yes, I confess--I hoard my online BR like a security blanket too. I'm actively playing with half and the other half sits in my online accounts like in a piggy bank gathering no interest. Maybe it's a rainy day kind of mentality? Or, as Poker Orifice said, is it plain and simple insanity?!

Hmmm, unsure why I had probs with multi-quoting...had to copy & paste? :(

OMG, I thought I was the only one who had separate poker bankrolls & hoarded the online one as though it were Fort Knox! SO thinks I'm insane but I'm determined not to make any future deposits to FT & I only have plans to replace the $50 initial deposit I had @ PS (used the funds + all winnings to purchase leatherass' book & send to the Haiti Fund...leaving a bal = $0.25) after PS Security verifies my ID to update my personal info...incorrect B-Day, month & day transposed?! The odd thing is I'll spend more on a pair of shoes than I will deposit online :eek:.

Steves22

Steves22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know exactly how you feel when you were trying to make your money back. I feel exactly that same way when I lose. I feel like if I don't come out ahead it isn't right so sometimes I tilt until I lose everything and that is just insane but it happens. I've done it at least three times. So all I can say is you have to look back at what you have done in the past and say i'm not going to make those mistakes again. I always tell myself I know the road that leads to this outcome so I'm going to be patient and take a different route this time.

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out Chris Feruson's "Sit and Learn" at the FT Poker Academy.

Doh! Just noticed u are getting plenty of good advice, but the Sit and Learn is really good anyway!

S

sheepy10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like youve got addicted to higher stakes syndrom

this article came to mind while reading the op
There have been many articles written regarding bankroll, and for good reason – It is without doubt one of the most important concepts to understand in order to remain a winning player. I say a winning player but what I really mean is a player making money. Many a player has a positive ROI but because of their strays up the stakes their net winnings column on their spreadsheet appears in red.

I’d like to look at the reasons why everyone should practice good bankroll management, aside from the obvious reason of not going broke. I decided to write this article after I played in an event at the weekend which was way above my bankroll. The event in question was the Grand Tournament, a $1k buy in event held a couple of times a year on Pokerroom. Pokerroom being my main site, and me being a “winning player” there I couldn’t resist it! It was a two day event with 234 runners, and having made it to the 2nd day sitting 29th in chips with 50 left I was in confident mood. 41 minutes later I pulled a resteal from the BB with 68 after the cut off raised, he called with AA and I was out in 42nd, with the top 30 getting paid I got nothing for my 7 hours 11 minutes apart from a rather bruised bankroll.

“Ok Puggy, big deal, you entered a tournament too big for your bankroll, you bubbled, you were pizzed and vowed never to do it again.”

That’s not my point. There are many more reasons to keeping to your bankroll, here are just a few:

1) Fear of losing

You’ve bought in for an amount you can’t really afford, you may not make the +ev risky plays that are your norm in your regular tournies. The bubble may be an issue, you may find yourself folding hands you should be raising/re-raising/calling with, in order to edge into the payout structure when we all know the money is heavily weighted to the final table or even top 3. (This one obviously didn’t apply to me with my 86 move :S)

2) It feels like Gambling when you lose

I have avoided that sinking feeling that you get when you lose a day’s or even a week’s wages playing blackjack since…. I stopped playing blackjack. When I get knocked out before the money in one of my regular tournaments, I generally shrug my shoulders, maybe curse my luck or bad play, look at my mistakes and move on. Last weekend, when I bombed out, I laughed. I laughed again, then it came, that sinking feeling in your stomach, the anger at yourself for being so stupid, for throwing your money away, then come the thoughts of how you’re going to win the money back….

3) Can lead to a downward spiral

So you’re a hefty amount down, well you need to win that back don’t you? And you can’t do that quickly by playing at your normal level, so why not jump into another big tourney? You played well that last one, you just got unlucky…..

Point 3 may not apply to you, but if it doesn’t then maybe this will:

4) Addiction to higher stakes

You play a big buy in event, you lose, you get ready to play your regular tourney and all of a sudden you have no motivation, your goals seem to have shifted, you want that adrenaline rush you want to gamble for that big score!

The day after I bombed out of my big tourney I got thinking. I knew I didn’t have the roll to continue to mix it in the big buy-ins, but I had had a taste of it and I wanted more. I entered a few of my regular tournaments and went out of each of them fairly early after making a wide range of mistakes, from loosening my calling requirements to running outrageous bluffs with little chance of success.

At this point I stopped for the day, I was playing recklessly. I was playing as if it didn’t matter, as if these were all only warm up events for the next big one. These were my bread and butter tournies, tournaments I have performed well in, and tournaments that pay my bills. But after tasting that big buy in event I had delusions of grandeur. I figured I could just show up in these smaller tournies, glide my way to the final table then run my opponents off the virtual felt on my way to inevitable glory. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t.

I took a couple of days off, re-assessed my goals, took time to read some forums and generally get myself together. With Christmas coming up, I didn’t play much as I was at my parent’s place, but I was pleased when I did venture back into a $30 tourny that I took 2nd place. (Edit - how I have changed, I can’t imagine with being happy at 2nd place!)

Stick to your bankroll restrictions, there’s more to it than meets the eye.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you P.O.

Of all the posts I've read here on CC, your post below, is the one I've been searching for. Portions of it not only fit me to a Tee, but offer the resolution to my problem. As simple as the answer now seems, sometimes one can't see what's staring you in the face.

I do love to play and I play at stakes well within my means, so much so that I often don't take the game seriously enough. I would need to be in a 250-500 MTT to take it seriously for the sake of the money. But, your suggestion to play to improve my game and NOT for the money, is the answer to my problems.

Forget about the money (seriously) and instead focus on your game. If you can get yourself to do this.... and are following BRM (of course).. the money will take care of itself. If it isn't, then spend more time working on your game.

I know of some who do the same thing pretty much, but to even more of an extreme... ie. reg. play the $10 STT's, does good in them, then maybe also pulls off a few good finishes in some 45's.. a couple 27-plyr. wins..... then it's off to the $33's to play the turbo regs.,... then the $50's... let's play some $109's now.... oh.. how about some $75 & $165 MTT's.... then busto again.... and again.... and again... etc. etc. etc.
In my opinion it's addiction related (just my opinion). One can read statements in articles/books over & over & over, saying "Even the very best players will go busto if they fail to follow decent BRM".. but for the addict... "No... it'll be different for me".. "it'll be different this time"... "I'll just move up a level and win it back".. etc. etc.

It can be really tough for some to stick to decent BRM.... ie. the level of buyin they're needing to stay at means playing a game that doesn't have them playing their best (too small of buyin so it fails to have them play their A-game... aka.. they don't care about it too much.. ie. $1 big deal...pff). I think >> just forget about the money part if you're playing SNG or MTT NLHE poker. Just focus on playing the best you can,.. ie. I don't know... for some maybe focusing on the money is beneficial? I can't see how it could be tbh.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like youve got addicted to higher stakes syndrom

this article came to mind while reading the op
There have been many articles written regarding bankroll, and for good reason – It is without doubt one of the most important concepts to understand in order to remain a winning player. I say a winning player but what I really mean is a player making money. Many a player has a positive ROI but because of their strays up the stakes their net winnings column on their spreadsheet appears in red.

I’d like to look at the reasons why everyone should practice good bankroll management, aside from the obvious reason of not going broke. I decided to write this article after I played in an event at the weekend which was way above my bankroll. The event in question was the Grand Tournament, a $1k buy in event held a couple of times a year on Pokerroom. Pokerroom being my main site, and me being a “winning player” there I couldn’t resist it! It was a two day event with 234 runners, and having made it to the 2nd day sitting 29th in chips with 50 left I was in confident mood. 41 minutes later I pulled a resteal from the BB with 68 after the cut off raised, he called with AA and I was out in 42nd, with the top 30 getting paid I got nothing for my 7 hours 11 minutes apart from a rather bruised bankroll.

“Ok Puggy, big deal, you entered a tournament too big for your bankroll, you bubbled, you were pizzed and vowed never to do it again.”

That’s not my point. There are many more reasons to keeping to your bankroll, here are just a few:

1) Fear of losing

You’ve bought in for an amount you can’t really afford, you may not make the +ev risky plays that are your norm in your regular tournies. The bubble may be an issue, you may find yourself folding hands you should be raising/re-raising/calling with, in order to edge into the payout structure when we all know the money is heavily weighted to the final table or even top 3. (This one obviously didn’t apply to me with my 86 move :S)

2) It feels like Gambling when you lose

I have avoided that sinking feeling that you get when you lose a day’s or even a week’s wages playing blackjack since…. I stopped playing blackjack. When I get knocked out before the money in one of my regular tournaments, I generally shrug my shoulders, maybe curse my luck or bad play, look at my mistakes and move on. Last weekend, when I bombed out, I laughed. I laughed again, then it came, that sinking feeling in your stomach, the anger at yourself for being so stupid, for throwing your money away, then come the thoughts of how you’re going to win the money back….

3) Can lead to a downward spiral

So you’re a hefty amount down, well you need to win that back don’t you? And you can’t do that quickly by playing at your normal level, so why not jump into another big tourney? You played well that last one, you just got unlucky…..

Point 3 may not apply to you, but if it doesn’t then maybe this will:

4) Addiction to higher stakes

You play a big buy in event, you lose, you get ready to play your regular tourney and all of a sudden you have no motivation, your goals seem to have shifted, you want that adrenaline rush you want to gamble for that big score!

The day after I bombed out of my big tourney I got thinking. I knew I didn’t have the roll to continue to mix it in the big buy-ins, but I had had a taste of it and I wanted more. I entered a few of my regular tournaments and went out of each of them fairly early after making a wide range of mistakes, from loosening my calling requirements to running outrageous bluffs with little chance of success.

At this point I stopped for the day, I was playing recklessly. I was playing as if it didn’t matter, as if these were all only warm up events for the next big one. These were my bread and butter tournies, tournaments I have performed well in, and tournaments that pay my bills. But after tasting that big buy in event I had delusions of grandeur. I figured I could just show up in these smaller tournies, glide my way to the final table then run my opponents off the virtual felt on my way to inevitable glory. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t.

I took a couple of days off, re-assessed my goals, took time to read some forums and generally get myself together. With Christmas coming up, I didn’t play much as I was at my parent’s place, but I was pleased when I did venture back into a $30 tourny that I took 2nd place. (Edit - how I have changed, I can’t imagine with being happy at 2nd place!)

Stick to your bankroll restrictions, there’s more to it than meets the eye.

thanks for this nice post I actually learned alot from this and I am happy to say that I've been executing bankroll management very well I decided to just play at low level Sit and Go's some games that i can actually dominate and not rely on luck on like cash games. So i've play so far 16 $2.00 + .15 sit and go's heads up turbo and I've won 13 of them.